Director Dissection with Seanc and Rauldc

Tools    

CR you need to check out Mystic River. Especially considering you feel character driven stuff is where he makes his mark. I think you will love it.

Sean, I've wanted to watch Mystic River for a long while, it sounds good. I just read about all of Eastwood's directed films and it looks like earlier in his career he made more consumer type crime films. In his latter years I think he has become an exceptional director.

These are his films that I would like to see, any thoughts on them

*2003 Mystic River
*1995 The Bridges of Madison County
*1990 White Hunter Black Heart (are there many scenes of animals being killed? that would keep me away from it.)
*1988 Bird
1982 Honkytonk Man (I think I seen this, does Eastwood get real sick in this?)

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Letters it is then. What is the other one you've seen out of interest?
Pale Rider, my least favorite. I'm going to watch a new one soon though

Mystic is the only one I have thoughts on. It is a Lehane adaptation. He writes great crime dramas. Gone Baby Gone and The Drop are the others if you're familiar. Great performances in a very engaging story. I will be surprised if you don't like it. It just showed up on Netflix if you have it.

I have vague memories of Bridges and White Hunter. I wouldn't swear to watching either start to finish so I won't claim them. Haven't seen a second of the other two.

Have any of you seen Absolute Power? Haven't seen it since the theater but I really liked it. Smart thriller.

Mystic River is excellent. First time i watched it i really didn't like it but it improved greatly on a rewatch, kind of makes me want to rewatch Million Dollar Baby because i really despised that film but i haven't seen it in about 5 years.

Thanks to this thread I just requested White Hunter, Black Heart. I'm excited to see that one as it's based on the novel that was about John Huston's time in Africa.

Mystic River is excellent. First time i watched it i really didn't like it but it improved greatly on a rewatch, kind of makes me want to rewatch Million Dollar Baby because i really despised that film but i haven't seen it in about 5 years.
Please do. You don't want to be on HK's side about anything. That's just bad juju.

Well, right now my favorite is Mystic River followed by Unforgiven. But I am one of the few around here who will praise Million Dollar Baby too.

Back by popular demand and with a new twist.

Sean and I will pick a director to watch 5 films from. Two of our favorites, two we want to watch the most (be it unseen or rewatch) and the final pick with go to a guest who we hope will chime in about the director as well.

We have chose Elia Kazan to be next so let me know if you are interested in guesting this round!

You just watch whatever films are selected and you discuss them, ask each other questions like your favourite scene from him or character or whatever. I was one of the first guests when they were doing Alexander Payne.

OK, sounds fun, so what do I do? I'm a noob at this.
Just give us a Kazan film you would like us to watch.

We have already decided on 4:
On the Waterfront
Streetcar Named Desire
Gentleman's Agreement
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

We will then discuss the films and all things Kazan.