It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Tools    

I was put onto this show by a friend, I knew nothing about it and at first I didn't really get the humour of the show but as I carried on watching it I became hooked.

It is a story of four narcissistic people who don't actually seem to like each other very much but through this create a bond. They own a pub called Paddy's, an Irish themed pub in south Philadelphia where they try to make as much money as they can via various wacky, hilarious and often down right stupid ideas. It follows them in their lives and each episode is just a classic in it's own right. It can be very offensive but is normally done in such a way that that it is okay because of how stupid they are.

In one episode they discuss the idea of Black Facing, they discuss how it is wrong and Danny DeVito's character states that James Earl Jones is in fact white because when Darth Vader takes his helmet off he is white, DeVito fails to realise that James simply did the voice.

It is a show that takes some getting used to but once you do it is wonderful.

Are there any other fans here?

I was put onto this show by a friend, I knew nothing about it and at first I didn't really get the humour of the show but as I carried on watching it I became hooked.

It is a story of four narcissistic people who don't actually seem to like each other very much but through this create a bond. They own a pub called Paddy's, an Irish themed pub in south Philadelphia where they try to make as much money as they can via various wacky, hilarious and often down right stupid ideas. It follows them in their lives and each episode is just a classic in it's own right. It can be very offensive but is normally done in such a way that that it is okay because of how stupid they are.

In one episode they discuss the idea of Black Facing, they discuss how it is wrong and Danny DeVito's character states that James Earl Jones is in fact white because when Darth Vader takes his helmet off he is white, DeVito fails to realise that James simply did the voice.

It is a show that takes some getting used to but once you do it is wonderful.

Are there any other fans here?
Yeah, i started watching it a year or 2 ago coincedentally i just finished watching series 9 yesterday. Hilarious show after series 3 or 4, the quality goes down a bit and it feels slightly repetitive but there is always a few great episodes a season. Who is your fav character? Mines is probably Charlie, but Dennis has his moments too as he does come across as a genuine sociopath lol.

How far into it are you? A few of my favourite episodes off the top of my head, are the one where Dennis and Dee get addicted to crack, the Charlie got molested one and the one where they have to coach basketball for community service.

I am currently up to Season 6 on netflix so I have bit of work to do by comparison! I really am not sure who I can pick, I love them all but if I had to I guess I would say Mac, he seems to be the straight man but at the same time can be just as insane and his Karate skills are AWESOME!!

The episode that sticks out for me the most is when they try to buy a house that is going into foreclosure and they end up just destroying it, I love the line from Frank to the kids "come on lets go paint your room thats not stupid", it cracks me up every time! I also loved the episode about Underage Drinking and how they manage to convince themselves that they are doing a good thing, the end scene in the high school dance with "forever young" playing is just wonderful!

I am currently up to Season 6 on netflix so I have bit of work to do by comparison! I really am not sure who I can pick, I love them all but if I had to I guess I would say Mac, he seems to be the straight man but at the same time can be just as insane and his Karate skills are AWESOME!!

The episode that sticks out for me the most is when they try to buy a house that is going into foreclosure and they end up just destroying it, I love the line from Frank to the kids "come on lets go paint your room thats not stupid", it cracks me up every time! I also loved the episode about Underage Drinking and how they manage to convince themselves that they are doing a good thing, the end scene in the high school dance with "forever young" playing is just wonderful!
Both great episodes. The thing i love about Frank is that he's quite wealthy, yet he lives in Charlies ****** apartment, eats cat food and explores the sewers with him . I was actually reading up on the show the other day, and i found out that they gave Macs character Karate skills because in real life he's a black belt in Taekwondo, they also purposefully made him the meanest to Dee because they are married in real life, and Charlies obsession with the waitress is because they're married too.

The show also has some great supporting characters, The Mcboyles are creepy and hilarious, and the running joke with the gang constantly ruining crickets life is great. As i said as it's progressed it's had a dip in quality but it hasn't jumped the shark yet, which is a major achievment imo considering it's lasted 9 seasons.

One thing I like about Phili is the on running jokes and that everything is able to be referenced. One thing I hated about Friends for example is if you watched it long enough it started altering history in what had happened but Phili seems to be quite good with it.

Another thing I love is the opening scenes, they always make me laugh, one that springs to mind is the fact you cannot keep a humming bird as a pet:

Charlie: All right, you're getting hung up on "can't", and I'm not saying that you can't. I'm saying that it is illegal.
Dennis: No, but it's not illegal.
Charlie: Says the guy who knows nothing about the law!
Dennis: I can absolutely keep a hummingbird as a pet, bro. It's no different than having a parrot or a parakeet. It's a bird, bro.
Charlie: You really can't, and I'm not saying I agree with it. It's just that bird law in this country—it's not governed by reason.
Dennis: There's no such thing as "bird law".
Charlie: Yes, there is.
Dennis: You know what? I'm going to get a hummingbird and I'll show you.
Charlie: Hummingbirds...hummingbirds are illegal tender!
Dennis: I'm going to get one.
Charlie: You cannot.
Dennis: To spite you, I'm going to get one.
Mac: Where are we with gulls?
Charlie: You can keep a gull as a pet, but you don't want to live with a seabird, okay, 'cause the noise level alone on those things...have you ever heard a gull up close? It's going to blast your eardrums out, dude.
It's just so wonderfully random and I would love to know how the conversation started!

One thing I like about Phili is the on running jokes and that everything is able to be referenced. One thing I hated about Friends for example is if you watched it long enough it started altering history in what had happened but Phili seems to be quite good with it.

Another thing I love is the opening scenes, they always make me laugh, one that springs to mind is the fact you cannot keep a humming bird as a pet:

It's just so wonderfully random and I would love to know how the conversation started!
It's funny that you mentioned that part along with references, because i remember later in the series Charlie saying to the lawyer that hates them that his speciallity is bird law . You're spot on about the references things that most shows would've completely forgotten, like Dennis and Dee being addicted to crack are mentioned 4 or 5 seasons later, sometimes they even tie these things into the story. It's weird that this show isn't that popular not many of my friends or family have seen it and from the looks of things we're the only fans on this site . In my opinion it's a much better sitcom than How I Met Your Mother for example.

I am unsure of where you are in the world but in the UK the only place you can see it is on Netflix. No channels have picked it up and considering it is made by 20th Century Fox I would have thought that FOX on cable would be showing it. I think if they did it could be huge.

What?? The trannies the dad?? I never saw that one coming!!!

I am unsure of where you are in the world but in the UK the only place you can see it is on Netflix. No channels have picked it up and considering it is made by 20th Century Fox I would have thought that FOX on cable would be showing it. I think if they did it could be huge.

What?? The trannies the dad?? I never saw that one coming!!!
Yeah, i'm in Glasgow i watched it on Netflix too. According to wiki it's on FX and Comedy Central shows reruns, FX is a Fox channel (Fox eXtended) . I know what you mean about the Tranny that came out of nowhere lol.

Do you think Sunny in it's story lines has ever gone to far? I have personally never felt that the episodes did go to far or indeed were overly offensive, in the stories there is always a ring of truth to them that says "this is not right and we are making the point".

Some other classic moments I love were where Charlie and Mac go to get a job but share it so that they can get health insurance and Charlie goes mental sorting out the mail - his level of insanity is just wonderful.

Great show, possibly my favourite comedy. Watched season 9 recently, thought it was great. Not sure about my favourite episode(s) as I got through the first 7 so quickly so can't remember each of them that specifically.

Do you think Sunny in it's story lines has ever gone to far? I have personally never felt that the episodes did go to far or indeed were overly offensive, in the stories there is always a ring of truth to them that says "this is not right and we are making the point".

Some other classic moments I love were where Charlie and Mac go to get a job but share it so that they can get health insurance and Charlie goes mental sorting out the mail - his level of insanity is just wonderful.
Not at all, it's actually quite tame when you compare it to certain comedians like Frankie Boyle for instance. I would say it's similar or even less offensive than South Park another one of my favourite shows. Of course i wouldn't recommend it to watch with your family or for any easily offended people. Overall though i can't think of any storyline that went too far, even the things about cancer or dumpster babies are to wacky to be seen as offensive imo.

Finished here. It's been fun.
Love this show. The characters are narcissistic, vain, and just downright awful people, and it is hilarious to watch them move through life without ever learning a single thing. Probably the most consistently hilarious show on TV at the moment.

Decided to finally give this a shot a few days ago and I've already blown through the first 3 seasons. I don't know about a favourite character or favourite episode, but I can give you a favourite quote:

"Monkeys are like nature's humans."

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
Great show. I wasn't a big fan of the first two seasons, but it really got better as it went along.

I am really pleased you are enjoying it Skepsis, it is not a program for everyone and I think for a few (well a lot) may find it very offensive and not that funny but I think this is a very different comedy for different crowds.

What brought you to it?

SEASON 9 ON NETFLIX B*TCHES!!!
Fire walk with me.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I like it a lot.. I'm not fully caught up, but Season 8 (I think) was pretty low in quality, with the exception of the final two episodes, the combined "Class Reunion"

I just love this show and the characters. Whenever I run out of episodes to watch it still feels like they're still out there in the real world causing trouble and doing crazy things. I feel like I'll walk into a bar in Philadelphia and really find these characters all sitting there debating or plotting something.

I especially love the Real Estate episode and the one that is depicting the Israeli-Palestinian conflict where they find themselves boxed in... They have the ability to do great stuff, but like other talk shows that go on for a while, you run out of ideas, and sometimes they're not as good, or are derived in a way that's not too well...

I didn't care for the season premiere, but I've noticed lately the premieres and finales haven't been very good for the past 3 yrs. Did anyone see it? Anyone watching it? (it's on FXX on Thursday nights).