Favorite Director?

Tools    

Holden, have you seen Akira Kurosawa's Dreams or Rhapsody in August, both self-indulgent rubbish neither coming antwhere near matching the genius of some of his previous work. Kurosawa definatley is one of the directors who obtained the status of greatness(along with Fellini, Kubrick and Godard), but, what people care to forget is that all of these directors have made bad films as their careers came to an end. I think Godard still churns out the odd documentary, but he seems to have lost his verve.

On the positive side, I like the name. Good to see a Peckinpah fan adourning these pages.

I loved just about every segment of Kuosawa's Dreams (1990), and while I wouldn't call Rhapsody in August (1991) among his best, it was very far from making my list as a 'bad' movie, and I would never call it self-indulgent rubbish. I never claimed every Kurosawa film is a masterpiece, only that he never made a 'bad' film in my estimation, and his masterpieces (which he had many) are untouchable.

Not to make excuses (because I liked his last three films), but Kurosawa was in his '80s with failing health at the end there. Did you ever see Madadayo - aka Not Yet (1993)? You may find it a better finale than Rhapsody in August. Or you may not.

I don't think Kubrick ever made a 'bad' film either, but we're just careening wildly into the arena of personal taste now.

For Scorsese, Kurosawa, and Kubrick, I'd stack their 'lesser' films (whichever taste dictates you throw into the mix) against most filmmaker's 'best' work. And again, when they are at their best, they're unbeatable.

That was my point.

[Edited by Holden Pike on 09-06-2001]

I understood your comments, just felt like offering my opinion, that's all. Can see what you're saying, it's all a matter of opinion. I simply can't bring my self to like films i don't like, no matter what the film. At the ned of the day I respect your views.

this ones hard but its either
Kevin Smith
Bryan Singer
Guy Ritchie
Spielberg

Ang Lee

domestic: the Cohen Brothers

foreign: Pedro Almodovar
You get me slapped with a fine, you argue with the customers and I have to patch everything up, you get us thrown out of a funeral by violating the corpse, and then to top it off, you ruin my relationship. I mean, what's your encore? Do you, like, anally rape my mother while pouring sugar in my gas tank?

Kubrick is my favorite director but Killer's Kiss ate it. Anybody could beat that piece of crap. God it was so bad. Im going to go buy a digital video camera and make a better film that thing.

Now With Moveable Parts
I'm eager to follow Sam Mendes's movie directing career...he does plays normally,but after American Beauty,the sky is the limit for him.

Zweeedorf - do you know the story behind Kubrick's making Killer's Kiss? Yes, compared to his future body of narrative films it is VERY weak, with few discernable 'Kubrickian' touches (though the fight in the manequin factory is certainly memorable). But this was Kubrick learning to make movies, hands-on and by himself.

There were no true 'Film Schools' back in the '50s, and Kubrick didn't work his way up through the Hollywood system to learn the craft. He was a natural still photographer of some acclaim who taught himself how to make and assemble documentaries (which are pretty good if you get a chance to see 'em). He did the same on-the-job self-financed training for narrative Film. Both Killer's Kiss and his first movie, Fear & Desire (1953), were no-budget learning exercises. He didn't even have sound equipment, so every noise and uttered dialogue in his first two movies was synched to that 16mm filmstock in post-dubbing. He did manage to sell it to United Artists, but it never made any money for anybody, not even as a barely B-thriller write-off.

Yet Kubrick obviously learned what he was doing. Look at the graduation of skill, confidence and talent in his very next film, The Killing (1956). Given a budget, real actors and some time, he made AMAZING strides. Considering Paths of Glory (1957), his first masterpiece, followed shortly thereafter, I'd say Kubrick squeezed every ounce of opportunity and learning he could from the limp Killer's Kiss.

It's not that Killer's Kiss isn't a bad movie, because it is - though his photographic eye is strong even there, with some good naturalistic gritty Noirish use of NYC. But to casually dismiss Killer's Kiss and boast you could easily do better misses the point. It was always meant as an exercise, not art. To even call it a 'Stanley Kubrick picture' is misleading and removes it from its context.

OK, so with today's equipment and basic filmmaking knowledge engrained in the culture, you think you could make a better movie than Killer's Kiss? Maybe you could. But is your fourth film going to equal Paths of Glory? Is your seventh going to be near the level of Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb? In your eighth effort are you going to personally revolutionize movie FX and have the product stand as an enigmatic testament to your vision, remaining hotly debated for more than thirty years?

THAT's the context you have to put Killer's Kiss in. Whether or not it's a great or even watchable movie by itself is irrelevant...or at least it seems that way to me. As a document of his gestating talent as a filmmaker, it's surely worth seeing for any Kubrick fan. As a movie to be enjoyed in and of itself, why bother?

But go ahead and pick on it if'n you want.

[Edited by Holden Pike on 09-27-2001]

Kevin Smith is the best without a doubt.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Kevin Smith is a great director, no doubt about it. Best, he most certainly is not. Of course, this is our favorite director thread so I won't take sides or spout meaningless words of nonsense. Let me take this oppurtunity to welcome you to MoFo isstudios. Hopefully, you'll stick around for a little while...

My favorite director(s), would have to be The Coen Brothers. Time and time again, they bring a really good story to the screen and dazzle us with comedy and a little bit of darkness.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Guy
here's my list:

MARTIN SCORSESE(taxi, bull, goodfellas, cape fear, king of comedy etc..)

STAN KUBRICK (2001, shining, barry lyndon, clockwork orange)

PT ANDERSON (magnolia)

MIKE FIGGIS (loss of sexual innocence, leaving las vegas)

JOEL COEN (fargo, big lebowski, miller's crossing)

TIM BURTON (ed scissorhands, beetlejuice, batman)

ALFRED HITCHCOCK (rear window, vertigo, the 39 steps)

FRANCIS VEBER (the dinner game)

ROBERTO BENIGNI (the monster, la vita bella)

CAMERON CROWE (say anything, jerry maguire, almost famous)

FRANCOIS TRUFFAUT(farenheit 451, the woman next door, two english girls)

and

JEAN-PIERRE JEUNET (recent hit amelie, the city of lost children and delicatessen)

these are all my favorite directors!

1. Byran Singer
2. Steven Soderbergh
3. Stanly Kubrick
4. Tony Scott
5. The cohen Brothers
6. Steven SPeilberg
7. Ang Lee (so ive only seen CTHD but it was really really well directed.)
8. The Farrely Brothers
9. John Ford
10. Scorsece

I think kevin smith is a great writer, great actor, and his movies are great, but they are horribly directed.
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me

Amen Mecuridius. While Kevin Smith can certainly write great dialogue his use of the camera and direction of actors is woeful. Get somebody to direct your scripts Kevin.

As to my favourite directors. Milos Forman and Sidney Lumet. Both underrated guys who are masters of their craft.

Watch 12 Angry Men by Sidney Lumet. A lesson in how to turn a stage play into cinematic genius. The tension never lets up. The audience can even feel the humidity of the room. Even though I know the outcome it doesn't stop me from enjoying the masterclass in acting and especially directing that goes on in that movie. Watch Dog Day Afternoon. Dog Day Afternoon is one of the greatest examples of acting that you'll ever see. Actors just prosper under Lumet's influence. There isn't a shot of that movie that I'd cut.

Any other year Dog Day Afternoon would have won best picture, best director and best actor at the Oscars but it was beaten by One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Milos Forman and Jack Nicholson. Deservedly so? Too close to call. It never ceases to amaze me how foreign directors can be so successful in Hollywood. It stretches as far back as Michael Curtiz, the Casablanca director, to Ang Lee today. Their English is limited but they're able to convey their ideas with a camera. Forman is the greatest of all foreign directors. He has won two Oscars, another for Amadeus, and yet he's often forgotten when people list best directors today. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is an inspiring movie, wonderfully cast. And no film has ever conveyed the power of music as lovingly as Amadeus. Forman took risks by casting two unknowns as the leads but they embody their parts so well. It helps that both F.Murray Abraham and Tom Hulce have failed to capitalise on the film's success. The film is often forgotten but it stands up so well today. Mozart's music is embedded so well with the pictures, I dare say the spoilt boor would have loved it. Forman also directed the underrated gems The People vs Larry Flynt and Man on the Moon. He has a gift for making ordinary people seem so special.

Mentions also to Martin Scorsese who I'm sure has already been mentioned in this post.

And to Paul Thomas Anderson who is the most interesting director to have arrived in the 90s.

Now With Moveable Parts
Wes Anderson( Bottle Rocket, Rushmore...)

B&W
Spielburg or Tarantino

Kevin Smith? His movies r cool as, but they're by no means masterpieces.

Peace,

My favorite director is Robert Altman. He has chosen a wide range of subject matter and has always had an interesting spin on the material. His movies are very smart and I am rarely disappointed...i also love the layering effect of his films.

His latest pic, Gosford Park, won a bunch of awards yesterday...his best work usually comes from murder mysteries and that is what Gosford Park is. I can't wait to see it when it comes out at the end of the month.

My favorite director outside of the US is Wong Kar Wai--his films are like poetry.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Wes Anderson is by far my favorite director. It used to be Tim Burton, but Planet of The Apes was REALLY BAD. Wes Anderson directed Bottle Rocket, Rushmore, and The Royal Tennenbaums. I love all of these movies, but The Royal Tennenbaums is the best of the three. Anderson has such a unique, idiosyncratic visual style, and writes some amazing dialog (along with Owen Wilson). Favorite lines:

"Tell that stupid Mick he just made my To-Do list for today." (Max Fisher)

"Kids don't like it when their parents get divorced." (Herman Blume)

"That is the last time you stick a knife in me!" (Royal Tennebaum)

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/