Tom Cruise is the biggest Hollywood star of all time.

Tools    

http://www.flashmagonline.net/blog/8...s-of-all-time/

Excluding voice roles and taking into consideration only leading roles;Johnny Depp and Tom Cruise are at the top.

Depp-Majority of his gross has come from POTC and Alice in Wonderland;his other movies have fallen short miserably

Tom Cruise-
1.Since Top Gun,he hasn't had a single flop as a lead actor

2.Magnolia,Lion of Lambs and Rock of Ages were his movies which grossed less money.All three never had Tom Cruise in the leading role

3.Tom Cruise has had 20 movies open at number 1 at box office,more than any other star

4.Even if inflation is taken into account,Only John Wayne has had more 100 million movies at the box office(27 compared to 22 for Cruise;But Wayne has acted in well over 70 movies)

Semper Fooey
You look that up and different sources have different names. So there is no agreement he is the biggest star. Obviously, he is high up there.

Cruise always has been big... Cruise and Hollywood go hand in hand when it comes to success...

... can anyone overtake him? Doubtful, because Tom was borne into the end of the Bratpack Era... those who really made a splash, stayed there, and Tom was the only one who really made it big.

I can see another Tom making the megabucks though... Tom Hardy. He just needs to keep his optionsopen rather than just going for actiony type roles.
I'd have to admit, Hardy was quite handsome in Lawless, so he has the looks.

Tom Cruise
Tom Hanks
Will Smith
Adam Sandler
Johnny Depp

These five are the biggest stars in recent times.They don't need to act in superhero movies or animation movies.They have the ability to pull the crowds to the theatres by their sheer presence in the movie

that's what she said...
Tom Cruise isn't a name that really draws me to want to see a movie. Infact there are pleanty of movies he's in that I just dont really care for. I do admit he is very talented as an actor but to say he IS the biggest hollywood actor is hard to determine because there are lots of other names out there that draw people to the movies. Adam you named some, but to continue with some great actors that are probably up there are (and forgive me for misspelling):
Bill Murray
Morgan Freeman
Robert DiNiro
Arnold Schwarzenegger

I would probably agree that action star wise then yes, Tom is prob close to if not already number 1. Not that I count him as MY number one, but I think globally, it would be determined that.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Actually Tom Cruise is one of the smallest Hollywood Stars of all time, standing short at 5 foot 6.

He's still a closeted homosexual in denial who acts like an ass bag on testicle shrinking steroids.....

Day of the Hollywood star is dying. Tom Cruise / Depp / Will Smith, likely to be at the end of star driven films. Read an interesting article observing the declining box-office pull off star driven vehicle, when they're not attached to franchises.

John Wayne, Arnold Schwarzenegger, and Julia Roberts are more bankable stars that would consistently draw more money than Cruise. Surprisingly of the 4 people mentioned I have to admit Cruise is the best actual actor. Toms greatest strength isnt his charisma, acting ability, or even taking advantage of the right opportunity. Its his work ethic which seperates him from all others. Only Schwarzenegger couldve been considered to be more driven at what he puts his sights towards.

When the person that started this thread said "even with inflation taken into account" was actually an inaccurate statement. The fact that John Wayne had more 100 million dollar hits than Cruise settles it all. A hundred million in John Waynes day was a whoooooooole lot more money than in Cruises' generation. The fact he made more movies than Cruise is redundant because as a money draw Tom Cruises' best days are certainly behind him. Who else thinks Jack Reachers gonna fail miserably at the box office?

Jack Reacher looks stuuuuuuuuupid.

Tom Cruise isn't a name that really draws me to want to see a movie. Infact there are pleanty of movies he's in that I just dont really care for. I do admit he is very talented as an actor but to say he IS the biggest hollywood actor is hard to determine because there are lots of other names out there that draw people to the movies. Adam you named some, but to continue with some great actors that are probably up there are (and forgive me for misspelling):
Bill Murray
Morgan Freeman
Robert DiNiro
Arnold Schwarzenegger

I would probably agree that action star wise then yes, Tom is prob close to if not already number 1. Not that I count him as MY number one, but I think globally, it would be determined that.
Freeman,De Niro are some of the best actors but not sure if they have the box appeal of someone like Cruise or Hanks

John Wayne, Arnold Schwarzenegger, and Julia Roberts are more bankable stars that would consistently draw more money than Cruise. Surprisingly of the 4 people mentioned I have to admit Cruise is the best actual actor. Toms greatest strength isnt his charisma, acting ability, or even taking advantage of the right opportunity. Its his work ethic which seperates him from all others. Only Schwarzenegger couldve been considered to be more driven at what he puts his sights towards.

When the person that started this thread said "even with inflation taken into account" was actually an inaccurate statement. The fact that John Wayne had more 100 million dollar hits than Cruise settles it all. A hundred million in John Waynes day was a whoooooooole lot more money than in Cruises' generation. The fact he made more movies than Cruise is redundant because as a money draw Tom Cruises' best days are certainly behind him. Who else thinks Jack Reachers gonna fail miserably at the box office?
John Wayne never had as many 100 million movies as Cruise without taking into inflation.Taking inflation into consideration;Wayne has more than Tom as of now

I am not talking about whether anybody is a good actor or not.Morgan Freeman is one of the best actors of all time but nobody will watch a movie just for him.

I am just talking about box office drawing power.

One of the weirdest Hollywood stars of all-time too (lots of competition though..)

Cruise is alright, though I wouldn't put him in my top 20.