Eastwood's elusive cigarette trick!

Tools    

See this is what I mean when I say some people around here give Clint Eastwood a little too much credit

Tightrope remains the balls, though
I love Tightrope, a forgotten gem on Eastwood's resume.

Have you ever heard of, or seen a clip of an interview that goes like this:

Reporter: Why do you think, that people think you're so cool?
Eastwood merely looks at the reporter, taps at the bottom of a pack of marlboros in his breast pocket after which a cigarette soars up into the air - he cathces it between his lips - lights it and says (while blowing smoke at the reporter) "I really have no idea".

I heard it from a friend but I can't find it anywhere. I gotta see this!
This sounds like something circulated for gullible non-smokers who don't know how difficult it can be sometimes to get a cigarette out of a full pack, a nearly empty pack or anything in between.

I don't for a second believe anyone can "tap" the bottom of a pack in a shirt pocket and make a single cigarette shoot up what--6-12 inches? I won't even go into the fact that the trickster would either have to make the cigarette shoot up at a side angle from a pocket (probably on the left side of his shirt) and over several inches to even the left side of his mouth--either that or ol' Clint has to make a quick turn of head and shoulders to the left to snatch the cigarette out of the air.

What your buddy probably saw is a common trick among smokers where one has a cigarette in hand about waist to chest level and flips it up to catch it in one's mouth. But the trick you describe is totally impossible. If you don't believe so, try "tapping" a pack of cigarettes hard enough to make a single butt fly out--the most you'll accomplish would be to knock the pack out of your pocket, with all the cigarettes still in the pack.
When I was a kid watching Terry Wogan on BBC his evening chat show, he asked Clint Eastwood if he was really as cool as was made out to be.... He pulled out a cigarette from a pack in one hand and a box of matches in another, he flicked the cigarette up into his mouth and with the other hand got a natch out of the box threw the box in the air and struck it while catching the box, and nonchalantly lit the cigarette all in one smooth action.
He repeated this trick on a number of chat shows. Not a myth or urban legend, but very factual. The exact trick altered a little, but yes he was as cool and entertaining as has been remembered.
It would have to be in the BBC archives somewhere.