Eastwood's elusive cigarette trick!

Tools    

Have you ever heard of, or seen a clip of an interview that goes like this:

Reporter: Why do you think, that people think you're so cool?
Eastwood merely looks at the reporter, taps at the bottom of a pack of marlboros in his breast pocket after which a cigarette soars up into the air - he cathces it between his lips - lights it and says (while blowing smoke at the reporter) "I really have no idea".

I heard it from a friend but I can't find it anywhere. I gotta see this!
This sounds like something circulated for gullible non-smokers who don't know how difficult it can be sometimes to get a cigarette out of a full pack, a nearly empty pack or anything in between.

I don't for a second believe anyone can "tap" the bottom of a pack in a shirt pocket and make a single cigarette shoot up what--6-12 inches? I won't even go into the fact that the trickster would either have to make the cigarette shoot up at a side angle from a pocket (probably on the left side of his shirt) and over several inches to even the left side of his mouth--either that or ol' Clint has to make a quick turn of head and shoulders to the left to snatch the cigarette out of the air.

What your buddy probably saw is a common trick among smokers where one has a cigarette in hand about waist to chest level and flips it up to catch it in one's mouth. But the trick you describe is totally impossible. If you don't believe so, try "tapping" a pack of cigarettes hard enough to make a single butt fly out--the most you'll accomplish would be to knock the pack out of your pocket, with all the cigarettes still in the pack.

If it existed, You-tube would have it. They've had pretty much everything, at one time or another.

This thread brings up another question.

Why in the hell would you carpet your walls, and how in the hell would you ever vacuum them? Seriously! Your arms would give out eventually.

That's really two questions . . .
Hey, Elvis carpeted the ceiling of one of his Graceland rooms! With shag carpet! Which is why God won't allow most trailer trash to win the lottery.

This sounds like something circulated for gullible non-smokers who don't know how difficult it can be sometimes to get a cigarette out of a full pack, a nearly empty pack or anything in between.

I don't for a second believe anyone can "tap" the bottom of a pack in a shirt pocket and make a single cigarette shoot up what--6-12 inches? I won't even go into the fact that the trickster would either have to make the cigarette shoot up at a side angle from a pocket (probably on the left side of his shirt) and over several inches to even the left side of his mouth--either that or ol' Clint has to make a quick turn of head and shoulders to the left to snatch the cigarette out of the air.

What your buddy probably saw is a common trick among smokers where one has a cigarette in hand about waist to chest level and flips it up to catch it in one's mouth. But the trick you describe is totally impossible. If you don't believe so, try "tapping" a pack of cigarettes hard enough to make a single butt fly out--the most you'll accomplish would be to knock the pack out of your pocket, with all the cigarettes still in the pack.
Hi,

This is the first post i make here, and this thread is actually the reason i found this forum and why i registered in the first place (although i believe there might be many other reasons for me to stay, movie-freak as i am...)

Let me start by saying that the cigarette trick is NOT a myth. I saw it myself many years ago in an interview in Swedish television with a well-known (at least well-known here, in Sweden) celebrity named Stina Dabrowski. It was in the early to mid 1990's.

The trick itself was pretty much exactly as described earlier, and so was also the dialogue, although it is hard to remember the exact wording after all these years.

I was young (well...fairly young), and a smoker myself so the coolness of what he did actually had a big impact on me at the time. I had never been a huge fan of Clint before this, but that segment of the interview was so unexpected and amongst the coolest things i'd ever seen that he shortly became a token of utter coolness to me...

Much later, as I've grewn older (and wiser?) I've come to realize that the trick probably wasn't as ad-hoc as it appeared at first, but more likely was staged, rehearsed and possibly even gimmicked in some way. Perhaps they needed 50 retakes for him to succeed...who knows...? All I know is: I saw it and it DID happen...

I tried for a looong, long time to do the same trick, but i could never really do it... Sure, i could get a single cigarette to fly out of the pack (it needs to be "empty", with one single cigarette, in the open part, the rest can be packed with cigarettes) but i never got the hang of catching it with my lips...

What i can recall not many of my pals saw the interview, so i was the one going around telling people about it...

So, i can understand your reluctancy to believe it, especially when most people state that they have "heard" about it from a friend they claim saw it etc... But i am totally honest in telling you that i saw it... You may still choose to not trust me... that is your choice, but i have now become intregued so i will try to find out if i can get my hands on a copy of this old interview. Surely it must be archived somewhere...?

It is not my purpose to come here to try to put those who does not believe this has happened to shame. No, not at all... (had i not seen it, I would probably share the same opinion) but i really hope i can dig it up somehow and post a clip of it on Youtube, for all of you to enjoy...
It truly is (or atleast was) one of the coolest things I've seen done in an interview...

If it existed, You-tube would have it. They've had pretty much everything, at one time or another.
Well... that was exactly what i thought too... It should be on YouTube. Imagine my disappointment when i could not find it there. Mind you, i know that this isn't a fairytale as I saw the interview myself, so i cannot very well disregard it either...

The interview was done in Sweden by a lady named Stina Dabrowski, some time early 1990's (i estimate it to 92-94 or so). The rest of the interview was dull and dreary and amongst my friends i think i was nearly the only one that saw it...

I won't go to extreme lengths to accquire the clip, but I will surely try my best to find it... TV3 (the channel it was sent on, if i remeber correctly) should have some archive to start with.

We've tried with the interviewer (Stina) but even she herselfdoes not recall it (it probably didn't have a huge impact on her), so she cannot be of any help...

I'll keep you posted on any progress i make...

/M

Any luck?

I find this whole story about Clint a) pretty damn cool and b) the stuff of legend (ie it's not true). I'd be happy to be shown otherwise, to see a clip of this particular incident would be great. However.....I must also address this:

I don't for a second believe anyone can "tap" the bottom of a pack in a shirt pocket and make a single cigarette shoot up what--6-12 inches? I won't even go into the fact that the trickster would either have to make the cigarette shoot up at a side angle from a pocket (probably on the left side of his shirt) and over several inches to even the left side of his mouth

But the trick you describe is totally impossible. If you don't believe so, try "tapping" a pack of cigarettes hard enough to make a single butt fly out--the most you'll accomplish would be to knock the pack out of your pocket, with all the cigarettes still in the pack.
Whether Clint Eastwood in particular did this in one take on some TV show ages ago is one thing. And it's certainly difficult. But "totally impossible"? Hell, no. There are many seasoned performers out there (I'm thinking mostly of illusionists, though this wouldn't quite qualify as an illusion, per se) who could pull this off, no question. It would have to involve preparation and then be passed off as improvised to achieve the right effect, but that's what performers do, right? Illusionists, I mean. Or......actors.

I know this clip very well and have been looking for it on YouTube but nobody seems to have it. I am an artist with a photographic memory and can tell you exactly what he did...
It has nothing to do with popping-up one fag from a Marlborough packet as people keep saying, everybody is talking out their arse. What actually happens is he rolls up a cigarette single-handedly in his right hand whilst he's talking to Parkinson on BBC1, Parkinson proceeds to ask him why people think he's so cool (I think somebody in this thread actually quoted him verbatim) to which Clint simply responds, coyly, once he's licked the Rizla, "I just don't know?".

It was a moment of coolness that has to be seen to be appreciated. Perfectly timed.

Are you guys absolutely sure this was Eastwood? Eastwood has never smoked, with the exception of a few scenes in his movies, so I have a very hard time believing that Eastwood would be caught on camera in an interview rolling a cigarette. There would be no reason or occasion for a non-smoker to do that.

Clint could have a few cones and I wouldn't care!

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
I don't know, but that sounds so likely and so awesome.
its not that awesome. a couple of hundered kids learn it every year at summer camp.

Kakarot89: The Infamous Thread Killer
I spent about an hour looking for anything and not even snopes was able to bring anything up. If it wasn't for the people that said they've seen it, I would just write it off as an urban legend. People from other countries have claimed they saw it on a show over there and no one seems to be really sure of the interview it occurred on (you guys seem to agree on Parkinson).

I did manage to find a youtube video of a guy doing the trick in question. He even states that it's just a legend, so I'm skeptical.

This is also my first post on this site. this thread is also the reason i found this forum and why i registered in the first place.

The cigarette trick is NOT a myth. I saw it many years ago in an interview in British television with a well-known (at least well-known there, in the UK) celebrity named Terry Wogan. It was also in the early to mid 1990's. If Clint did it on a UK TV show AND a Swedish show, then it must have been a feature that either show also wanted to include as part of their interview, after a producer saw it on the other country's show.

I remember the exact wording, as I have been telling this story for years. I was telling it the other night when I decided to Google it to see if I could show my wife. That's how I found this forum!

Terry Wogan was interviewing Clint on his ranch, and near the end of the interview, Clint was rolling a cigarette. Wogan said to him "You know, they say that you are the coolest man in the universe."

Clint finished rolling the cigarette, flicked it into his mouth, lit a match with his thumb, took a drag on the cigarette and slowly blew it out,
He looked up and said "They say that, do they?"

At the time, I laughed so hard, thinking that Clint was so cool, but I too have come to realise that the trick was probably staged, and well rehearsed. Maybe he did need many retakes for him to get it right.

In school, a few of my mates saw it, and we would quote it to each other. I just remember it had a huge impact on me, as I found it so hilarious, and that's why I can recall it with such clarity.

The BBC got rid of a lot of archives at one point. There was a huge outcry, as people felt that many children's programmes and other BBC items were of cultural value. Maybe this interview was lost in the clear out, and that's why nobody can find it. Surely somebody has a VHS recording of the interview somewhere??

It did make smoking look cool, so perhaps it has been removed from the archives for that reason.

All I know is that it did happen, as I saw it myself.

The People's Republic of Clogher
This is also my first post on this site. this thread is also the reason i found this forum and why i registered in the first place.

The cigarette trick is NOT a myth. I saw it many years ago in an interview in British television with a well-known (at least well-known there, in the UK) celebrity named Terry Wogan. It was also in the early to mid 1990's. If Clint did it on a UK TV show AND a Swedish show, then it must have been a feature that either show also wanted to include as part of their interview, after a producer saw it on the other country's show.
Clint did it on Wogan?

The amount of man-made fibre sitting on top of Terry's head constituted a massive fire hazard.

Clint did it on Wogan?

The amount of man-made fibre sitting on top of Terry's head constituted a massive fire hazard.
That reminded me of Wogan saying on Would I Lie To You?, that he likes to randomly start fires to annoy and scare coworkers