Hillary Clinton: Woman Enough

Tools    

Re: terminology. You say people should have an "equal impact on the election." But they do...it's just the state's election. To say they should have an equal impact on the national election may be a legitimate position, but that's the thing that actually needs to be addressed: why/whether it's better to elect Presidents directly, rather than preserve the autonomy of the states.
I think that my point didn't come out clearly, so I'll put it in a more concrete way; I would trade my presidential vote for a presidential vote in Michigan. That's a cost. Possibly a cost not worth fixing because of other consequences, but a cost, and it stops people from voting.

The obvious comp is the United Nations: larger nations don't get more votes, because the entire idea is to put them on more equal footing. The same is true of the states.
Except it's not the same as the UN: larger states DO get more votes in the electoral college (California's 55 to Wyoming's 3). And honestly the issue isn't even really a small state vs big state issue, it's a swing state vs non-swing state. In 2016 vote in Iowa was more valuable than a vote in California, but not more valuable than a vote in Michigan.

Now, I'm actually fine with the prospect that convincing a voter could be more or less valuable contingent on their likelihood to vote, that makes sense (though I would also like to raise the likelihood of all people to vote in general). But once the vote is cast, it really feels like that vote should be just as valuable as any other votes for the same issues.

Also I'm curious, let's just stick to a single state, would you want your vote to go a state electoral college when deciding the senate race? Where your vote goes towards a county total and elections are decided by tallying up county totals (essentially, you'd be put in the same situation where swing counties would have the more valuable votes).

Re: logic. Should elections have the function of "equalizing" everyone? That may sound like a truism, but taken to its logical extreme, we'd have mob rule and an incessant number of referendums. I think we all agree that having representatives is good, even though it inarguably skews the direct and immediate will of the people. In fact, that's kind of the point. And it's the point of the electoral college, too.
I'll definitely take your side with saying referendums are dangerous (especially here in CA, where they take on the power of CA constitutional amendments, making them incredibly hard to work around), and I'm for the trustee model over the delegate model of rep democracy (and it's definitely much better politics to say you're running as a delegate model rep). But unless you're saying that the electors should only take the votes within their state as advice but vote as they want, it's not actually a representative model.

As an example, let's say that referenda votes went to a single elector who has the power to say yes or no to all referenda, but that elector is bound by the popular vote within the state to say yes or no, that's not suddenly representative government; it's still functionally direct democracy.

Edit: Also Re: whether or not Trump would still win if he had campaigned under a popular vote election- I'd say it's unclear. At best you could say it'd be different.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
They both ran under the same system, state by state, so the popular vote doesn't mean much since they were battling over the same 5-10 states (just like last election).. If we had a different system, they would be campaigning much differently.

I think that my point didn't come out clearly, so I'll put it in a more concrete way; I would trade my presidential vote for a presidential vote in Michigan. That's a cost. Possibly a cost not worth fixing because of other consequences, but a cost, and it stops people from voting.
It stops people on that end of the trade from voting. But doesn't that mean, logically, that it would encourage people in Michigan to vote all the more? You're describing a cost to you, but not necessarily a net cost to voting overall.

Also, I'm not sure how well this general posture holds up if we expand it. For example, instead of states, substitute countries, and instead of Democrats/Republicans, substitute full-blown libertarians/communists. Those people have their votes effectively nullified by living and voting here, too, but I'm assuming (correct me if I'm wrong) you don't see that as a problem. I assume, in that case, you just see it as part of living in a democracy.

Except it's not the same as the UN: larger states DO get more votes in the electoral college (California's 55 to Wyoming's 3).
Aye, but doesn't this just enhance the point? It's actually less extreme than the UN example.

It'd be a bit much for Wyoming to have exactly the same influence as California, but it shouldn't be written off almost entirely, either. So we weight for size in one branch, but not in another, and we reduce their power in the third area (Presidential elections). It seems like a solid compromise.

Now, I'm actually fine with the prospect that convincing a voter could be more or less valuable contingent on their likelihood to vote, that makes sense (though I would also like to raise the likelihood of all people to vote in general). But once the vote is cast, it really feels like that vote should be just as valuable as any other votes for the same issues.
But they aren't the same issues! That's the whole idea. Michigan's concerns are not California's, and failing to equalize the states in any way pretty much guarantees, over time, that the latter's concerns are going to swamp the former's. And at that point, you have to think a country as large and diverse as America has a much higher likelihood of fragmentation or secession.

Also I'm curious, let's just stick to a single state, would you want your vote to go a state electoral college when deciding the senate race? Where your vote goes towards a county total and elections are decided by tallying up county totals (essentially, you'd be put in the same situation where swing counties would have the more valuable votes).
No, because states have plenary power, and counties don't.

My chief concern--and that of the architects of this system--is limiting centralized power, which has a horrendous long-term track record in nearly all things throughout human history. We can quibble reasonably about exactly how narrowly we should be granting legal autonomy to different areas (IE: should be counties rather than townships? Townships rather than states?), but my first concern is principle-based: that it exists at all. My second concern is logistical: it should not be so diffuse that virtually any travel subjects you to wild fluctuations in law and custom.

I'll definitely take your side with saying referendums are dangerous (especially here in CA, where they take on the power of CA constitutional amendments, making them incredibly hard to work around), and I'm for the trustee model over the delegate model of rep democracy (and it's definitely much better politics to say you're running as a delegate model rep). But unless you're saying that the electors should only take the votes within their state as advice but vote as they want, it's not actually a representative model.

As an example, let's say that referenda votes went to a single elector who has the power to say yes or no to all referenda, but that elector is bound by the popular vote within the state to say yes or no, that's not suddenly representative government; it's still functionally direct democracy.
Yeah, this part's my fault: it probably sounded like I was describing electors as representatives, but I was really just talking about any abstraction between the direct will of the people and the result.

I hold it as sacred that the people must have ultimate control. I don't hold it as sacred that a direct majority in anything must win out, immediately. I'm fine with the people's will having some lag time, or being measured in ways that require it be sustained or definitive.

It stops people on that end of the trade from voting. But doesn't that mean, logically, that it would encourage people in Michigan to vote all the more? You're describing a cost to you, but not necessarily a net cost to voting overall.
Honest question: even if it were true that net voting stayed neutral, are you actually okay with that? That voters in one state are discouraged at the expense of another state getting extra motivation? Do you not consider that a cost?

This kind of cuts to the heart of the issue for me; votes for the same office shouldn't be more or less valuable than others (whether it's on the federal level, state level, municipal level, whatever) because it seems to imply that some people are better suited to select a president.

(by the way, I also think it's unfair/unwise that Iowa and New Hampshire have exaggerated effects on the primary process as well).

Also, I'm not sure how well this general posture holds up if we expand it. For example, instead of states, substitute countries, and instead of Democrats/Republicans, substitute full-blown libertarians/communists. Those people have their votes effectively nullified by living and voting here, too, but I'm assuming (correct me if I'm wrong) you don't see that as a problem. I assume, in that case, you just see it as part of living in a democracy.
You're going to have to be more detailed, because it's not the same issue. I mean, even the votes for third parties have different values between the states (even when voting for the same candidate). And it's not about people with drastically different values. If I cloned myself, and one of me lived in MI and one in CA, Michigan me's vote matters more than California me's vote.

Aye, but doesn't this just enhance the point? It's actually less extreme than the UN example.

It'd be a bit much for Wyoming to have exactly the same influence as California, but it shouldn't be written off almost entirely, either. So we weight for size in one branch, but not in another, and we reduce their power in the third area (Presidential elections). It seems like a solid compromise.
Wyoming already has a place in government where they wield disproportionate power; and it's not just a solid compromise, it's a great one.

But they aren't the same issues! That's the whole idea. Michigan's concerns are not California's, and failing to equalize the states in any way pretty much guarantees, over time, that the latter's concerns are going to swamp the former's. And at that point, you have to think a country as large and diverse as America has a much higher likelihood of fragmentation or secession.
I think you misunderstood what I meant by "issues". I've tried to be consistent that votes for the same office or referendum or whatever should be equal.

And again, it's not about large versus small. Michigan is much bigger than North Dakota, and their votes are more valuable. The "small states deserve a more equal playing field" line of logic doesn't work for this. If you are arguing for the electoral college you are arguing that votes (and by extension, voters) in swing states should have more valuable. Plenty of small states get screwed by it too.

My chief concern--and that of the architects of this system--is limiting centralized power, which has a horrendous long-term track record in nearly all things throughout human history. We can quibble reasonably about exactly how narrowly we should be granting legal autonomy to different areas (IE: should be counties rather than townships? Townships rather than states?), but my first concern is principle-based: that it exists at all. My second concern is logistical: it should not be so diffuse that virtually any travel subjects you to wild fluctuations in law and custom.
You're going to need to make a case of why the popular vote, which makes every vote in the country equal to one another, constitutes centralized power. Right now specific people have more voting power than others, under popular vote, all votes have equal power.

I hold it as sacred that the people must have ultimate control. I don't hold it as sacred that a direct majority in anything must win out, immediately. I'm fine with the people's will having some lag time, or being measured in ways that require it be sustained or definitive.
I agree with all of this. But I also think that ultimate control manifests in votes, which should be equal.

I do want to say though, there are a dozen things I'd do to increase turnout first before changing to popular vote.

Honest question: even if it were true that net voting stayed neutral, are you actually okay with that? That voters in one state are discouraged at the expense of another state getting extra motivation? Do you not consider that a cost?
I don't, for two reasons. One theoretical and one practical:

Theoretical: swing states fluctuate. I'd have a problem if any state were always more valuable, but they swing over time. So if their existence is a wash in terms of net voting in this election, the same logic would apply across multiple elections. (FYI, I'm not convinced more net voting is necessarily good to begin with.)

Practical: I don't think anybody votes because they think theirs will be the deciding vote, and reforming the system this way only decreases those odds, anyway. So we're talking about a hypothetical person who doesn't care about the likelihood they'll make a difference (since it's higher with the EC), but does care about the vague symbolism of their vote counting, but somehow cares about that without caring enough to vote as-is. I have trouble believing even one such person exists, let alone enough to suggest that the system needs to be reformed.

This kind of cuts to the heart of the issue for me; votes for the same office shouldn't be more or less valuable than others (whether it's on the federal level, state level, municipal level, whatever) because it seems to imply that some people are better suited to select a president.
I don't think the system should statically or systematically select people based on this, but...well, maybe they are better suited to it. Behind the veil of ignorance, which person would you want choosing the President: someone surrounded by the like-minded, or someone who lives in a state split down the middle?

There's something interesting, and self-balancing about the idea that the electoral college essentially incentivizes people to live around more people who disagree with them. I don't want it etched in stone, but if you're just asking if swing state voters would generally make better choices, I'd say: yeah, probably. They're less likely to live in a bubble.

Wyoming already has a place in government where they wield disproportionate power; and it's not just a solid compromise, it's a great one.
Slow clap.

I think you misunderstood what I meant by "issues". I've tried to be consistent that votes for the same office or referendum or whatever should be equal.
Well, whether you meant "issues" or not, it's still the crux of the thing: as long as we have a large, diverse country, different areas of it will have vastly different considerations. So, to me, they're not really voting for the same thing, the way two people living side-by-side in New Mexico are. They're often voting for completely different reasons, and the electoral college is a way to reflect that.

And again, it's not about large versus small. Michigan is much bigger than North Dakota, and their votes are more valuable. The "small states deserve a more equal playing field" line of logic doesn't work for this. If you are arguing for the electoral college you are arguing that votes (and by extension, voters) in swing states should have more valuable. Plenty of small states get screwed by it too.
Agreed, it's not really about size: it's about diversity of issues. It's just that smaller states would presumably get the short end of that stick more often compared to population centers. I think we can all agree the campaign would not be improved by taking place almost entirely in and around major cities. If you think there's an anti-elite backlash now...

Put another way: the point of voting is not to express our highest civic notions, it's to produce good results. A popular vote may feel closer to the former, but I think the electoral college forces the diversity of issues that is more conducive to the latter.

Also, this isn't dispositive for me, but I'm pretty smitten with the idea that, before you can become the most powerful person in the world, you have to speak in a freakin' barn in Iowa, shiver shaking hands in New Hampshire, and stain your shirt with BBQ sauce in South Carolina. I like that you have to generally humble yourself around people you'd never have reason or occasion to meet otherwise.

You're going to need to make a case of why the popular vote, which makes every vote in the country equal to one another, constitutes centralized power.
Because it bypasses the states. Things get a little fuzzy here because, technically, you could just have a popular vote that bypasses the states in this one area and stop right there. But I don't think that's how things work in reality: in reality, when we breach lines like that for one thing, we eventually come to think and act like they aren't there at all.

In this case, I'd actually say the push for a popular vote (such as it is) is more the symptom than the disease: it's only a discussion because people have already stopped thinking of states as being largely independent. So in one sense you have a very good point: if we're already trampling on the 10th Amendment, if we already have lots of Federal oversight, and if the Supreme Court can strike down state referendums by reading between the Constitutional lines...then sure, the popular vote seems like a positively quaint trespass over states' rights. But it's one of the few Federalist fronts left, so it's important by default for anyone who cares about this.

I agree with all of this. But I also think that ultimate control manifests in votes, which should be equal.
It all comes down to whether you think of the entity voting as the person or the state. I think of it as the state, because that's how it was originally conceived and that system has obvious benefits. Also because (per the paragraphs just above) that's the position more in need of support right now.

I do want to say though, there are a dozen things I'd do to increase turnout first before changing to popular vote.
Yeah, same.

I might feel differently about all this if I felt we had an actual choice between higher turnouts and the electoral college. I'd still have structural objections, but that would be a clear trade-off, at least. But I think we're at the point where people's disinterest goes way beyond things like the electoral college.

Because it bypasses the states. Things get a little fuzzy here because, technically, you could just have a popular vote that bypasses the states in this one area and stop right there. But I don't think that's how things work in reality: in reality, when we breach lines like that for one thing, we eventually come to think and act like they aren't there at all.

In this case, I'd actually say the push for a popular vote (such as it is) is more the symptom than the disease: it's only a discussion because people have already stopped thinking of states as being largely independent. So in one sense you have a very good point: if we're already trampling on the 10th Amendment, if we already have lots of Federal oversight, and if the Supreme Court can strike down state referendums by reading between the Constitutional lines...then sure, the popular vote seems like a positively quaint trespass over states' rights. But it's one of the few Federalist fronts left, so it's important by default for anyone who cares about this.
Wanted to follow-up on this and point out that there's a proposal to make the popular vote the de facto method of choosing the President without actually diluting states' rights, at least not technically. This doesn't really "fix" my concerns, because part of the problem is how we think about states to begin with (and I think it's kind of messy, in that I assume it could flip back if enough states change their minds, so to speak), but I will say I prefer it to just changing the whole thing.

I think the whole thing is the symptom of larger problems, as I mentioned, but credit where it's due: we need more people who are willing to speak up for process and precedent, and not just look the other way on it because doing so produces the desired outcome (saw this a lot with the gay marriage ruling), and this is at least a nod in that direction.

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
This one is pretty good, too...

I'm surprised that I'm surprised at how lazy that is, good lord that's low effort, even for Michael Ramirez.

Such as Wyoming being 4 times the size of Georgia when Georgia has almost 20 times the population of Wyoming.

It's also kinda funny that the implication of the cartoon is that the problem with getting rid of the electoral college is that it'd increase the power of a few key states when that's exactly what swing states have under an electoral college.

Prefer the cartoonist to be more honest and not make a poor attempt at portraying a fairness issue and just come out and say that he doesn't like some states.

DOJ watchdog investigating FBI decisions in Clinton email probe

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A U.S. government watchdog said on Thursday it would examine whether the Federal Bureau of Investigation followed proper procedures in its probe of Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton's use of a private email server.

The inspector general’s announcement comes amid outcry from Democrats who say Clinton’s loss to President-elect Donald Trump was in part due to Comey's bringing Clinton's emails back into the public spotlight less than two weeks before the 2016 election.

The Justice Department's Office of Inspector General said its probe would focus in part on decisions leading up to public communications by FBI Director James Comey regarding the Clinton investigation, and whether underlying investigative decisions may have been based on "improper considerations."

Although the FBI ultimately decided not to refer Clinton’s case for prosecution, Comey aroused suspicion that may have diminished trust in Clinton among voters.

The controversy involved Clinton's use of a private email server for official correspondence when she was secretary of state under President Barack Obama, including for messages that were later determined to contain classified information.

Comey publicly announced the status of the agency's investigation into Clinton's emails two times in 2016.

In July, Comey held a press conference and testified before Congress to explain why the FBI had decided not to refer Clinton for prosecution, explaining that she was "extremely careless" but should not be charged with gross negligence or any other federal crime.

In October, less than two weeks before the Nov. 8 election, Comey said the FBI was continuing the investigation because of new emails found on the computer of disgraced former Representative Anthony Weiner, the husband of one of Clinton's top aides.

On Nov. 6, Comey said the investigation into Weiner's computer produced no new evidence that would incriminate Clinton.

Brian Fallon, Clinton's spokesman, told MSNBC on Thursday that Comey's actions "cried out for an independent review."

It is the usual practice of prosecutors and law enforcement, including the FBI, not to disclose information about investigations that do not end in criminal charges.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politi...obe/ar-AAlOaGO

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
Sexism 'alive and well'

"I'm starting to cry because it's still hard," she said after a pause. "It's a punch in the gut that yet again a well-qualified woman lost to a mediocre man. That's the hardest part."
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/clinton...tics-1.3910591

Per the discussions earlier about Clinton selling access: the Clinton Foundation is shutting down amid dwindling donations, in part from foreign governments pulling their money after the election.

Pretty darn hard to see this and not conclude that the allegations here were spot on.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
...boooring. i stopped caring about the Clintons when it became official that she would no longer be making any decisions that would affect my life.

@Yoda
I know you want this locked.

You ready? You look ready.
Would this be a bad place to tell y'all that I like movies?
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza