Movies about Music

Tools    

I saw the new Colin Hay documentary recently and I think that is was pretty good. What do you guys think about movies about musicians? Are they good? Are they cheesy?

The Pianist.

While not about music necessarily, it uses music and the protagonists relationship to it in an incredibly powerful way.

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
The Doors (1991) was pretty good.

If we're talking about movies about musicians generally, definitely Whiplash. Amadeus, while mostly fictitious in terms of it's storytelling, is essential viewing if you ask me. Those are two of my favorites.

Biopics? There's not too many I love. Stuff like Ray, and Walk the Line are decent mainly for the lead performances, but they're pretty typical. Most of them just go for the same old rise and fall story. Miles Ahead was half great, if only the flashback sequences weren't boring as hell.

Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story is something any music fan should check out, also Josie and the Pussycats is surprising good. But if you need to go more high art, Yankee Doodle Dandy, La Vie En Rose, and ofcourse Singin' the Rain.

Major props for Walk Hard, one of the most underrated modern comedies. It's better than the movie it's poking fun at, which is pretty outstanding.

La La Land is incredible in both the surprising depth and originality it contains, but it also focused on film. That Thing You Do is probably the most charming motion picture ever made, and it's a must see for anybody who's got a pulse. But, this thread wouldn't be complete without...
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	tumblr_nk8snwHBf81r9pgnno1_500.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	28848  

This is Spinal Tap is really great. It's a faux documentary about a british metal band that has a habit of killing of their drummers. IMHO, their music is better than that of many regular bands.

Metallica : Some Kind of Monster : It's a fascinating documentary about the band's inner dissensions during the making of St Anger, and the growing influence of the band's therapist during that time.

Love and Mercy : a biopic about the Beach Boys, and the growing mental illness (and recovery) of Brian Wilson.