Is Roland Emmerich worse than Michael Bay?

Tools    

What has Roland Emmerich made other than a slew of predictable "end of the world" films, which are pretty much all the equivalent of some Sci-Fi channel original movie, except with better CGI?

Michael Bay has made a few good movies (like Pain and Gain), but there's pretty much nothing I know of by Emmerich which is even watchable for me.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
I don't think either are that bad. Michael Bay is by far a more technically proficient director, but Emmerich has made his share of well-made dumb fun. Independence Day and Universal Soldier are among my favourite movies.

I don't think either are that bad. Michael Bay is by far a more technically proficient director, but Emmerich has made his share of well-made dumb fun. Independence Day and Universal Soldier are among my favourite movies.
Sorry right now I just can't stop laughing at a movie called 10,000 BC having an "intelligent" sabretooth tiger - or having pyramids... in 10,000 BC - I haven't taken a history course since HS and even I knew right off the bat that that is BS

A loving heart is the truest wisdom.
Sorry right now I just can't stop laughing at a movie called 10,000 BC having an "intelligent" sabretooth tiger - or having pyramids... in 10,000 BC - I haven't taken a history course since HS and even I knew right off the bat that that is BS
Lots of blockbusters are based on ridiculous concepts. Superheros, zombie apocalypses, alien invasions, superintelligent apes taking over the planet, and so on. They're not supposed to be taken seriously or be educational. :P

Overall, I like Emmerich better. His movies are just as stupid as Bay's but for some reason they're a lot more fun. Maybe it's because Emrich doesn't try to shoehorn lots of crappy drama into his movies like Bay does. With an Emmirch film you just sit back, turn your brain off, and enjoy all the destruction. With Bay you have to wade through at least an hour of forgettable characters just sitting around talking before getting to the action.

To be honest, I don't get the hate on this guy and his movies. Sure, they are kinda dumb, and they don't offer much more than a monumental scale of events and great special effects but as far as these things go, hell, I kinda appreciate them.

For me, Independence Day is THE alien invasion movie because of how delightfully cliched it is.

2012 is THE catastrophe movie because the entire world goes to hell in it.

Godzilla 98 is still THE Godzilla movie for me because the Japanese movies are way too cheesy for my taste and the new one is too subdued.

And at least it can be said that Emmerich remained fairly consistent in the quality of his movies, while Bay reaches a new low every time he makes a movie.

Roland made Universal Soldier and Independence Day (which are both awesome), and Stargate was okay, but he made that CRAP Godzilla movie and has tried twice to make some kind of movie with a message with Anonymous and The Day After Tomorrow which are very divisive in both quality and subject matter. One has to do with Global Warming (badly) and one says Shakespeare was a fraud (which is confusing).

Bay on the other hand has done The Rock (which is awesome), The Island (which was good), and the two Bad Boys movies which are guilty pleasures for me. Then again he made those S***T Transformers movies, Pain and Gain was mediocre, and his attempt at something serious was Pearl F***ING Harbor!

Out of the films of theirs I actually liked, I adore Independence Day. So I will say the ability to make a good movie is better for Roland.

For whatever reason I was forgetting Emmerich made Independence Day and The Patriot, which to me weren't great but weren't terrible, the Patriot is probably his best film (I also like Mel Gibson as an actor a lot) - I definitely had his more recent disaster themed movies in mind here

My name's Bobby Peru, like the country.
Godzilla 98 is still THE Godzilla movie for me because the Japanese movies are way too cheesy for my taste and the new one is too subdued..
I hope your joking, Godzilla 98 is almost universally condemned. There is more cheese and inconsistencies in that movie then the entire Toho studios archive, not to mention Godzilla changes size and scale in almost every other scene!

Welcome to the human race...
I've somehow managed to avoid most of Emmerich's work - I think I've seen Independence Day and Universal Soldier but they were both so long ago that they might as well not count. I ended up watching White House Down earlier this year and it was a passable enough piece of fluff. Even so, he never made The Rock.

I hope your joking, Godzilla 98 is almost universally condemned. There is more cheese and inconsistencies in that movie then the entire Toho studios archive, not to mention Godzilla changes size and scale in almost every other scene!
Lol - I haven't seen it but I even heard Godzilla is a hermaphrodie in that movie, and makes babies with him/herself... WTF were they thinking?

Master of My Domain
Isn't this like asking if a rotten apple is worse than a rotten orange?

Both are fruits (type of director) and both are rotten(filmography-wise).

wanabe movie critique
Totally agree; Emmerich does not come close to Michael Bay

I really haven't seen enough of Michael Bay's work to judge fairly, but I will say that Independence Day and The Day After Tomorrow are two of the silliest movies I have ever seen.