Life Changing Movies

Tools    

The movie that has affected me the most is Alive. I left the theatre wishing I could meet some of those people that did everything it took to live.
I remember I left the theatre with my friend, and he mentions how cold it was(it was like 50 degrees) I just kinda laughed.
Boyz-n-the-Hood changed my outlook at how terrible it is for some people. There are many that make me think, but none to change me...~sigh~

Now With Moveable Parts
I hate those "Romance and true love will pass you by if-" kinda movies. They have all changed me for maybe a couple of hours. I always think," Oh my God! I have to do something!!" Then, after the newness passes, I sink back into reality.
The movie Serendipity and Amelie did that to me...as well as several others over the years...Sleepless in Seattle, French Kiss, Only You. Damn those movies. Damn them to HELL!! People just can't pick up their lives and be reckless romantics!

I have yet to see a fictional film, no matter how great-- affect me to any degree. The only movies that have made me think, and question any mode of thinking I may possess, are purely documentaries. Some of the best include:

1) The Thin Blue Line

2) Crumb

3) When We Were Kings

4) Mr. Death

5) Hoop Dreams

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by Karl Childers
I have yet to see a fictional film, no matter how great-- affect me to any degree.
That's odd. Most movies, fictional or not, are trying to reach people in some way. I find it kinda sad that you walk out of the theater, most of the time, unaffected.

Originally posted by sadesdrk
That's odd. Most movies, fictional or not, are trying to reach people in some way. I find it kinda sad that you walk out of the theater, most of the time, unaffected.
I never said I was unaffected; I merely said I was not affected to a degree that was life-changing. That was the original barometer posed.

Don't be sad for me, I am a happy lad!

Now With Moveable Parts
Yeah...but you said," .....to any degree."

Ah well, I won't feel sad for you, if you say not to. I just wanted to wish a life-changing movie experience on you.... *poof*

Perhaps now you will have one??

*Twighlight Zone music* do do do do do do

Yeah...but you said," .....to any degree."
Wow, you are a nitpicker.....I gotta watch out for you.

I mean that no movie will affect me to a "degree," meaning with any significance. Perhaps it may affect me somewhat, but not enough to even consider a life-changing episode.

People just can't pick up their lives and be reckless romantics!
I despise those. Let's face it: Meg Ryan brushing Bill Pullman aside and running after Tom Hanks may SEEM romantic, but it's actually very, very stupid. In real life, they'd run into all sorts of problems and she'd regret leaving Pullman. I feel sorry for them all, frankly.

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by Karl Childers

Wow, you are a nitpicker.....I gotta watch out for you.

I'm sorry. I'm not a nitpicker, I just like to exchange opinions--alright. *sigh* I'm argumentative. Whattaya gonna do? *shrugs*
Is it that annoying?

I'm not old, you're just 12.
I know I already posted on this one, but I thought of the very first movie that affected me so much that it changed how I thought about stuff....

Edward Scissorhands.

Easily Tim Burton's best film, and being an outcast from the retarded society of my High School when this film came out, I connected with it immediately. I instantly had a new hero, Tim Burton, and I ran out to find out as much as I could about him. Sadly, Tim Burton made the crappy Planet of the Apes remake, and seriously needs to make a real Tim Burton movie next, or he's going to find his hero status removed and handed over to Wes Anderson, my current favorite filmmaker......

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

In the Beginning...
I'll bump this thread back up to the top.

For me, not many movies have changed my life, but several have made me think a little differently. Some of which more recently include:

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Sideways
Amistad
War of the Worlds
King Kong
28 Days Later
The Truman Show

Anyone else?

Equilibrium
Phantom of the Opera
Bruce Almighty

Lots of movies have made me think but nothing has changed me, a few that have made me think...

Originally Posted by nebbit
Lots of movies have made me think but nothing has changed me, a few that have made me think...
I like your picks.
My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Withnail & I (1987, Bruce Robinson)

That was the film that got my future ex-wife and I together, so I guess you could call it life changing.

The Searchers (1956, John Ford)

It was a birthday present for my dad who I hadn't spoken to in years. It thawed the ice for a while...

Dolls (2002, Takeshi Kitano)

The nails in the coffin of comment one.

Originally Posted by undercoverlover
the matrix
fight club
angels in america
ah, fight club, now there's a real mind-job

Originally Posted by Eyes
ah, fight club, now there's a real mind-job
For you Eyes and others who voted for Fight Club I am curious, In what way has it changed you, or your life????

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
it made me think a lot about my perceptions of different situations, it made me think about whats real and whats not, also whats important to me and how I wanna live my life. Do I wanna be whipped slave or do i wanna hold the whip?

EDIT: Crash (2004), really made me think about how i handle prejudices and just in general how to treat other people with respect