The Shining -- Hidden Meanings

→ in
Tools    

Originally Posted by Nikki
hmmmmmmm......personal experience tells you this Nebbit......
I was waiting to cross the road in Sydney, there was this handsome aboriginal guy standing next to me, he looked at me and we smiled at each other, I'm thinking is that Him and it was

i don't him person ally but my best friends sister knows him and she says he is a nice guy. That's all i know

do you know something else?

.........I've only heard that he is adorable......

"I'm your hell, I'm your dream.......I'm nothing in between.......You know you wouldn't want it any other way".........

"Listen, when I slap you, you'll take it and like it"..........Humphrey Bogart..........Maltese Falcon.......

Graze on my lips and if those hills be dry, stray lower, where the pleasant fountains lie...........William Shakespeare.......

Originally Posted by Nikki
.........I've only heard that he is adorable......
Yes, he is. Do you remember the name of the ABC series years ago that he Made with Cate Blanchett???

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
Just found this thread, and I remember hearing something similar about Kubric and the hidden meanings in the film.
I'm not 100% sure if this is truth or fiction, but I would not put it past Kubric.
Just watching a poll on scariest moments on tv, The Shining topped the list.
REDRUM!!!!

Toga, toga, toga......

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

District B13
Originally Posted by Caitlyn
I read that Kubrick always tries to say something about mankind in his movies and that The Shining isn’t really about the murders at the Overlook Hotel as much as it is about the genocide that took place against Native Americans… I know that in the film, we are told the hotel was built on Indian Burial Grounds and that numerous Indians lost their lives trying to stop the building and all throughout the movie there is Native American artwork… on the walls, floors, and even a couple of cans of Calumet baking powder… but from what I understand, there are other clues scattered through the movie -- the scene with the blood rushing out of the elevators is supposed to represent the blood America was built upon… and the picture of the ballroom scene was dated the 4th of July, a date that holds a very different meaning to Native Americans then it does to the average American… and in the maze when Danny is trying to escape his father, he resorts to an old Indian trick of backtracking to escape… I know a lot of you on here study film and know a lot more about this then I do so I would really like to hear your thoughts on this…
About Kubrick's hidden meanings: All his movies are adapted from books, so most of the hidden meanings are probably extracted from teh general idea of the author. I hate it how Stephen King does not get credit for works of art such as ShawShank Redemption, The Green Mile, The shining, and Kujo. I understand Kubrick played the biggest role in making The Shining big, but more credit needs to go to Stephen King for his incredible writing.

Rose Red, on the other hand, blows.

Originally Posted by Darth Stujitzu
Just found this thread, and I remember hearing something similar about Kubric and the hidden meanings in the film.
I'm not 100% sure if this is truth or fiction, but I would not put it past Kubric.
Just watching a poll on scariest moments on tv, The Shining topped the list.
REDRUM!!!!
I guess we'll never know for sure… but I'm inclined to believe Kubrick really was making a statement pertaining to the genocide waged against American Indians… and as far as the poll… no matter how many times I watch it, "Here's Johnny" still gives me the creeps…

Originally Posted by ObiWanShinobi
About Kubrick's hidden meanings: All his movies are adapted from books, so most of the hidden meanings are probably extracted from teh general idea of the author.
If you'll go back and read the posts in this thread… particular those by The Silver Bullet, I think you'll find out that was apparently not the case here… King reportedly hated Kubrick's version…. which is why he made his own version called Stephen King's The Shining in the 1990's…

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Silly people. All of The Shining's hidden themes can be seen HERE (or HERE).
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

LOL Holden. Funny you mention those links. Was just looking at both prior to being here.

The Internet age has given rise to a whole new level of thematic analysis and--more importantly--theory sharing. Even if stuff like this existed in the past, there was never any way for it to catch on. One out of a thousand, like Pink Floyd and The Wizard of Oz, lined up well enough and got passed around enough that it became common knowledge anyway.

So I think it's a mix of technology facilitating the deep dive itself, and the fact that it can make its way around a lot more now when a particularly intriguing one comes along.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
A documentary was made about all of this and more called Room 237. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2085910/

If I recall correctly in watching some of this documentary, the opening shot of The Shining has a yellow VW Beetle go by a red one crushed underneath a semi. Red was the color used by King in the book, so Kubrick was essentially flipping the bird at King who he knew was unhappy with his adaptation.

The documentary seems to revolve around hidden meanings, symbolism, etc. found in Kubrick's meticulous and detailed scene staging. Which isn't to say any of the theories are true as some have claimed they aren't. Of what I watched, it could interesting, far-fetched and long-winded.