Ellen Page comes Out

Tools    

I have just had it flagged on my Facebook page from a link someone else posted that Ellen Page has announced that she is gay. The story that I was directed towards is on a news site that I hate the most in the world of "The Daily Mail", if you are no in the UK you may or may not understand my anger but I am not here to talk about this or why I hate it but I am so proud of Ellen coming out and announcing on a very public stage the status of her sexuality.

When big stars in Hollywood come out and announce their sexuality it is often met with a lot of people either criticising the person involved, saying that it doesn't matter or simply saying "pfft, next story please". To those who do I think they are wrong. I think it is important. I think it is still something that every day needs to be fought for because there is still so much hatred for the gay community over all.

I for one am pleased for her and do not think this is a "stunt" but a young woman who can fight the good fight and say that homosexuality is not something that should be vilified.

*steps down from my soap box*

Sorry, but I'm going to be one of those "next story please" people. And here's why:

When big stars in Hollywood come out and announce their sexuality it is often met with a lot of people either criticising the person involved, saying that it doesn't matter or simply saying "pfft, next story please". To those who do I think they are wrong. I think it is important. I think it is still something that every day needs to be fought for because there is still so much hatred for the gay community over all.
And how is that "hatred" addressed by this? How is that "fighting" for the cause?

Whatever you believe about homosexuality or marriage or anything else, there's zero reason to think of this as some kind of salvo in the greater political and cultural war. Famous people coming out made a difference when there weren't many of them, because it surprised people and may have forced them to reconsider how rare it was, or what kind of person "could be" gay (IE: it wasn't just some thing off in the fringes of society you would almost never encounter). But we're long, long past that point.

I for one am pleased for her and do not think this is a "stunt"
How would you know? Most famous people have more to gain than to lose by coming out now. You created this thread, after all. Let's stop treating every celebrity who comes out like they're Jackie Robinson.

I'm sorry, but I think when people put this kind of faith in actors and actresses to be role models for a political or cultural cause, they're just asking to be disappointed.

Ellen DeGeneres, watch out. There's a new lesbian Ellen in town.

Let the night air cool you off
Next story please. I want equality. Not praise for every person who is "different." That's not equality. I just want it not to matter what you are or what you do. As far as lifestyle choices go.

What are you people complaining about? It's not like you ever had a chance with her. This should be a bonus for you straight guys -- now you can imagine all of the lesbian sex she's having.

I never thought she was that great looking, but it doesn't take an actress coming out for me to imagine that.
Yeah, but now it's more a reality than a fantasy. That makes it more sizzling.

Sorry, but I'm going to be one of those "next story please" people
Fair enough - if that is the case that's up to you

And here's why And how is that "hatred" addressed by this? How is that "fighting" for the cause?
This is doing so because the more people that feel brave enough to come out in a world where it is barely tolerated in some areas of the world (such as Russia where the worlds media is pointed at right now) or indeed can be killed for it, yeah, I see it as brave and fighting a cause

Whatever you believe about homosexuality or marriage or anything else, there's zero reason to think of this as some kind of salvo in the greater political and cultural war. Famous people coming out made a difference when there weren't many of them, because it surprised people and may have forced them to reconsider how rare it was, or what kind of person "could be" gay (IE: it wasn't just some thing off in the fringes of society you would almost never encounter). But we're long, long past that point.
I disagree, in the same way as racism & sexism it is something that should always try to continue to be shown as something where it is not a bad thing.

How would you know? Most famous people have more to gain than to lose by coming out now. You created this thread, after all. Let's stop treating every celebrity who comes out like they're Jackie Robinson.

I'm sorry, but I think when people put this kind of faith in actors and actresses to be role models for a political or cultural cause, they're just asking to be disappointed.
Excuse me yoda but I am intregued, what exactly do you mean by: "How would you know? Most famous people have more to gain than to lose by coming out now. You created this thread, after all." - Woah, really? You think so? Okay, fair enough, I have never claimed to know anything except what I see, you seem to be the one making assumptions here bud.

@Windsoc:

I don't think Yoda has anything against people coming out. He's criticizing the circus that always has to come with it and how every celebrity that comes out of the closet, is praised as someone "very courageous", even in a western society where gay/bi/lesbian people are already widely accepted and integrated.

Hey, Sexy, if you don't mind me asking: how did it go when you "came out?"
Well, let me just say this:

I came out around 15/16 years old. A lot of people think that's great. Some are amazed and happy when kids come out even younger than that.

I don't advise it, though. That's not gonna stop people from doing it and I can understand the desire to come out young, but personally, I think you should wait until you're more of an adult. I just want to say that.

Coming out for me was hard and stressful and exhilirating. But if I could do it all over again... I wouldn't have come out at that age. I basically had to come out because I doubt I could have taken being closeted for much longer. But I hate the idea of thinking of yourself as being "closeted" now. If you like the same sex as yourself, fine.

I honestly think we should do away with labels.

This is doing so because the more people that feel brave enough to come out in a world where it is barely tolerated in some areas of the world (such as Russia where the worlds media is pointed at right now) or indeed can be killed for it, yeah, I see it as brave and fighting a cause
If she came out in Russia, I'd agree with you. But she didn't come out in Russia. She didn't even come out in Oklahoma. She came out in Hollywood, and she's hardly the first. I don't see how this is an example of bravery.

I disagree, in the same way as racism & sexism it is something that should always try to continue to be shown as something where it is not a bad thing.
But how does it show that to simply add one more actor or actress to the list? Who are these mythical people who think there's something wrong with homosexuality, but go "oh, Ellen Page? Well, that changes everything."

And let's please not compare this to the civil rights movement, where people died again and again for being a type of minority that had to "come out" from the moment they were born. It's a different issue, both in kind and in degree.

Excuse me yoda but I am intregued, what exactly do you mean by: "How would you know? Most famous people have more to gain than to lose by coming out now. You created this thread, after all." - Woah, really? You think so? Okay, fair enough, I have never claimed to know anything except what I see, you seem to be the one making assumptions here bud.
I don't know what assumptions you're referring to. I'm saying that she stands to garner more praise than condemnation for her announcement (look around the Internet; it's almost universally positive), and I'm offering up your thread--in which you shower her with that praise--as an example.

And by "How would you know?" I mean that there's no way to know why she did it. The only way we know when these things aren't stunts is when the person in question stands to obviously lose more than they gain, or when they actively put themselves at risk. Otherwise, I find it's usually a good policy to assume that anyone whose livelihood depends on their fame is doing most of what they do in order to preserve that fame.

Let the night air cool you off
Well, let me just say this:

I came out around 15/16 years old. A lot of people think that's great. Some are amazed and happy when kids come out even younger than that.

I don't advise it, though. That's not gonna stop people from doing it and I can understand the desire to come out young, but personally, I think you should wait until you're more of an adult. I just want to say that.

Coming out for me was hard and stressful and exhilirating. But if I could do it all over again... I wouldn't have come out at that age. I basically had to come out because I doubt I could have taken being closeted for much longer. But I hate the idea of thinking of yourself as being "closeted" now. If you like the same sex as yourself, fine.

I honestly think we should do away with labels.
I can't really say anything about anything above the doing away with labels part, because I have no experience here. I do think it probably takes more bravery for a non-celebrity to come out, because they don't have outside support coming in. Even though you are obviously a Celebrity, a Sexy Celebrity.

And I agree with doing away with labels. I don't really see the point of labeling things like that.

I don't think Yoda has anything against people coming out. He's criticizing the circus that always has to come with it and how every celebrity that comes out of the closet, is praised as someone "very courageous", even in a western society where gay/bi/lesbian people are already widely accepted and integrated.
I can't stand the obsession with homosexuality and now transsexuality, which is huge these days.

I often wonder how scientifically valid transsexualism/transgender is. I can't believe it when I hear people say they want bathrooms for transsexuals in public schools. This issue is, to me, far too crazy right now. I'm skeptical of this issue. I wonder if I was a kid right now, would this issue influence me and make me think I was transgendered and needed to change my sex? Sometimes I wonder if the homosexual issue influenced me growing up.

I have nothing against gays and transsexuals, but we look outrageously obsessed with the issue right now, and Ellen Page to me is just another footnote.

And now everyone thinks all gays just wanna get married and act like straight people. Please.

To all comments within here fair enough and everyone has the right to their opinion. This was something I wished to share as I still see this as something that is important and is something that should be celebrated. I am not saying others are not saying it is not important and it should not be celebrated but merely that I did. I am going to leave it there because I do not want this to turn into either a thread that gets people angry or bitchy at others. That was never the intention.