Finding Cult Movies

Tools    

Hi everyone! I'm trying to show my buddies the awesomeness that is cult movies! I created a little slideshow of movie trailers to show them with some of my favs. Do you guys have any suggestions for what to add or even what do get rid of? I'm still not sure if Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure is considered a cult movie. Thanks!!!

http://www.shortform.com/J-rod.J./my (my slideshow)

Semper Fooey
What is your definition of a cult movie? You have there a remake of a classic science fiction movie, a low budget awful one from the fifites, and the other two were major studio movies done on medium budgets. As a group they don't have a lot in common.

I think I view cult movies as either low budget or sleeper hits that gain a strong following. I usually think of crappy B-movies as cult movies. As far as I can tell, most of the movies in my slideshow have a strong cult following, either in the horror, sci-fi, or what have you crowd. Or maybe they don't. I might have made a mistake with some.

Here's my favorite cult cinema web site. Warning! Adult Content!

It's a pretty extensive list and their reviews are pretty good. I watch a lot of stuff based on this web site.

Most other cult stuff I find out about through friends. Isn't that part of what makes them cultish? Hearing about them word-of-mouth?

Wow, that website is pretty awesome! I'm going to def check that out in the future!

He needs to pay me some advertising fees!

Liquid Sky looks like the adoptive parent of Lady Gaga hahah

Semper Fooey
Cult movie is a pretty subjective thing. Of the movies on the original list the only ones I definitely would think of cult is Glen or Glenda, but that is also a movie known for being so bad it is good, and most cult movies are considerered to be fairly competent from a fillmaking standpoint, and Escape from New York. Shaft a cult movie? It was a Hollywood made movie trying to capitalize on the popularity of the very low budget Sweet Sweetback's Badass Song, which is more of a cult movie.

Sweet Sweetback's a good shout, will. Also, even with Shaft's Hollywood background, that doesn't disqualify it from being a cult movie. IMO, anyway. As I've said before, as far as I'm concerned, Star Wars is the biggest cult movie of them all.

Anyway, some suggestions. I'll start with horror.

Freaks, Blood Feast, Two Thousand Maniacs (1964), Night Of The Living Dead, Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974), Black Christmas (1974), Evil Dead, A Nightmare On Elm Street (1984), Re-Animator (1985). Also any of Roger Corman's Edgar Allen Poe adaptations or the Santo films. Actually, any 50's-70's British or Euro horror would probably apply here.

I never know how to categorize Star Wars: A New Hope. For some reason I can never really see it as a cult movie although its fans are pretty cult-like.

I kinda don't want to have too many horror movies. I'm trying to have a varied collection from all genre (with a cult status).

I never knew that background of Shaft. That's new to me. haha.

I was going to go genre by genre, but I'll just throw some out instead.

Rolling Thunder, The Endless Summer, The Last Hunter, Reefer Madness, Pink Flamingos, Black Caesar, The Black Godfather, Blacula, The Black Gestapo, Coffy, Foxy Brown, The Mack, Superfly (just any blaxploitation) The Harder They Come, Dancehall Queen, Shottas, Thrid World Cop, The Blue's Brothers, Over The Edge, Happiness, Welcome To The Dollhouse, Tremors, Miami Blues, The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension, Mad Max (1 and 2), The Warriors, The Wanderers, The Gods Must Be Crazy, Harold And Maude, Escape To Victory, Get Carter, The Long Good Friday, Man Bites Dog, They Live!, The Thing, Maximum Overdrive, Les Vampires, Irma Vep, Death Race 2000, anything by Fred Olen Ray, Heathers, Bad Taste, Creepshow, anything by Andy Warhol/Paul Morrisey, The Last House On The Left, The Man Who Fell To Earth, John Hughes films, Coen brothers films (especially pre Fargo), Jubilee (or anything Derek Jarman), Orlando, The Hitcher (1986), Near Dark, Point Break, New Jack City, The Usual Suspects, The Last Supper, Shallow Grave, Trainspotting, Showgirls, Absolute Beginners, Brazil,.

Bored now. Hopefully there'll be some stuff there you'll like.

OK, I'll add a few more.

The Shawshank Redemption, A Clockwork Orange, Withnail & I, Scum, Clerks, Suburbia, The Doom Generation, The Class Of '84, Repo Man, Sid & Nancy, Electra Glide In Blue, Quadrophenia, Wayne's World, The Decline Of Western Civilization, Pump Up The Volume, Easy Rider, The Trip, The Wild One, Hell's Angels On Wheels, The Girl On A Motorcycle, Betty Blue, Subway, La Haine, The City Of Lost Children, Delicatessen, Taxi, la Cage aux Folles, Xanadu. You Can't Stop The Music, My Private Idaho, Paris Texas, Kids, Big Wednesday, John Woo's HK films, 24 Hours Party People, Memento, 84C MoPic, The War Game, The Hill, Southern Comfort, Universal Soldier, El Mariachi, Elvira: Mistress Of The Dark, UHF, Beastmaster, Krull, The Dark Crystal, Gator, Ken Russell films, Romper Stomper, Poolhall Junkies, Split Second, Piranha 1 & 2, Shark Attack 1, 2, 3, David Cronenberg films (especially upto Naked Lunch), Slacker, Dazed And Confused, Before Sunrise, Logan's Run, Rollerball, The Filth And The Fury.

There's also the DPP list, better known as The Video Nasties list.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_nasties

Although, most of them became cult because of the list.

There's a documentary about this time;

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1740712/

Which is really good. It's both informative and gives a real feel for the time. Or, maybe, that was just nostalgia.

Wow honeykid, that's quite a list! hahah

Hey guys, something I've been wondering: if a film become famous as an internet meme, would it be considered a cult film?! I added the trailer for The Room (check out the trailer here ==>http://www.shortform.com/J-rod.J./my) to my little list. Movie is famous for being garbage but also it's a meme. Would it be considered a cult movie? Let me know what you think!!

After seeing that I'd listed Suburbia on the list, rather than make the change (which you may not see/notice) I'll do it this way. I mean this

And not this

Chappie doesn't like the real world
After seeing that I'd listed Suburbia on the list, rather than make the change (which you may not see/notice) I'll do it this way. I mean this

I love that movie.

Wow, there's definitely a difference between those two pictures! hahaha

Guest House Paradiso looks crazy funny! I added that to my list!

If you like GHP, you might like Bottom. It's the same characters, I believe.

As it's Halloween, I'll post these examples.

You have to remember this is before the Brits went big on Halloween and Trick Or Treat.

&feature=related

hahah wow