Peckinpah's Cross of Iron

Tools    

So i just saw this movie. I m not really a fan of Peckinpah s movies, but i enjoy them as much as the next guy. They re always beautifully made, realistic (for the most part), crude and violent (which i enjoy usually).
I liked this movie, but i found some oarts just irritating.
The whole part in which the protagonist (Steiner) is in the hospital is just wierd, surreal and kinda ridiculous.
The "love story" with the nurse... pure nonsense.
The part when the platoon meets a platoon of russian women soldier? Nonsense too. One of steiner s soldiers gets killed, another one castrated, and they do nothing. Even worse Steiner leaves the castrated soldier to the women so they can kill him??!!
Some dialogues were pure philosophical mambo jambo... steiner and the bad guy talk about kant, class warfare... what the hell does that have to do with anything? If at least their points made a tiny bit of sense...
There were other things that irritated me, but the worst was the last scene.
The bad guy, who was about to leave the camp before it was destroied by russian, says : Steiner where s the rest of your platoon?
And steiner, instead of killing him and avenge his soldiers that the bad guy ordered to kill, says : you are!
And then they go kill some russians...?
Then in the muddle of the battle the bad guy doesn t know how to reload and steiner starts laughing.
The end.

Oh also the character of the general, the fat guy with mustaches... i mean steiner saved his life and i can understand he maybe simbolyzes Steiner s father figure or something but... i mean Steiner practically tells him to **ck off at a certain point, and still the guy passes the rest of the movie asking himself where steiner might be and if it s still alive?!
Anyway i liked the movie,it was kinda like das boot (which was way better though) but i just can t explain myself why did they make these wierd choices...
Not the first time i find these things in a peckinpah movie.
Sorry for any spelling mistakes.

Pekingpah was on his last legs when he made that. It's a very flawed, but interesting movie. After making his masterpiece, THE WILD BUNCH, he didn't seem to have much left.

I love Cross of Iron! One of my favorite war films. Everything that you mentioned is pretty much Peckinpah's touches, he had a history of taking scripts and rewriting a lot of scenes to the way he wanted them.