Is The Big Lebowski A Masterpiece?

Tools    

One of the funniest scene of all-time imo

Every movie has its haters.

But not every movie has spawned festivals and a religion.

This.

I didn't like it on first viewing... I blind bought the DVD back in about 1999-2000 because I heard it had bowling in it and was expecting something like Kingpin with Woody Harrelson.

But after the first watch, it played on my mind and I gave it another go.

Second watch, I loved it.

It's not the sort of zany, or whacky, or even laugh out loud kind of comedy (though there are scenes like those things laced throughout)... TBL is "comedy" in a similar way that Dazed And Confused is a comedy.

Let's face it, not only as Miss Vicky said with Festivals and even a Religion... for a comedy it still manages to start conversations and debates amongst movie goers, near 20 years after it was made.

What does that tell you? How many comedies can say that? Off the top of my head, I can't think of any.

The scene I always laugh out loudly at is after The Dude has seen the Doctor and has obviously been given a clean bill of health.

Goes to chuck his doober out the window but it's closed and has to tip beer all over himself then crashes.

Great soundtrack in TBL too.

So yeah... it is a masterpiece.

21 Things About The Big Lebowski

1. The movie was made in 1998, but while in the store at the beginning of the film, The Dude writes a check dated September 11th while George Bush talks on a TV in the background
2. Bunny's license plate says LAPIN, French for Rabbit
3. Most of The Dude's clothing came directly from Jeff Bridges' own closet
4. The "F*ck a stranger in the ass" scene with Walter had to be edited for TV
5. The photo of Bunny's Home Ranch was taken directly from Truman Capote's film In Cold Blood. By coincidence, Phillip Seymour Hoffman played Capote in 2005
6. Charlize Theron nearly played Bunny
7. Donny's bowling shirt has the name "Austin" embroidered on it
8. Jackie Treehorn's thugs (who peed on The Dude's rug) are seen twice in the film. The second time they're seen, they're wearing each other's clothes
9. The Dude is seen drinking White Russians 9 times
10. The Dude says "Man" 147 times
11. The word "Dude" is spoken/seen 161 times
12. The F word is used 292
13. Independent movie producer Jeff Dowd was the inspiration for The Dude's look
14. Rock guitarist Aimee Mann plays the poor German girl with a missing toe
15. John Turturro who played Jesus ("The Jesus") Quintana stuck a packet of bird-seed down the front of his trousers to give an odd looking bulge in his pants
16. The coffee shop where Walter gets told to keep his voice down... was used in Reservoir Dogs and American History X
17. Steve Buscemi's character in Fargo never knew when to shut up, which is why Wlater is constantly telling Donny to "Shut the f*ck up, Donny"
18. The Dude gets his money from being an Heir to The Rubik's Cube
19. Anarchist and gun-lover John Milius, who wrote Dirty Harry and Apocalypse Now, was the inspiration for Walter Sobchak
20. The Dude is never actually seen bowling
21. Bridges method acted throughout the production... always being The Dude... even when he was at home on his time off, he dressed and acted like The Dude, drank White Russians and smoked weed. He also rarely bathed or showered.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
I think this movie could have virtually anything in it, tell virtually any kind of story because the allure is The Dude/Jeff Bridges. He's a truly unique, attractive and lovable character for many. You know, Mannnnn?

21. Bridges method acted throughout the production... always being The Dude... even when he was at home on his time off, he dressed and acted like The Dude, drank White Russians and smoked weed. He also rarely bathed or showered.

Jeff Bridges has been the Dude ever since he made the movie. Just look at him during his interviews. Jeff Bridges is the Dude, and the Dude is Jeff Bridges

Every movie has its haters.

But not every movie has spawned festivals and a religion.
I am totally getting ordained.

You know, like, when I get around to it.

I liked The Big Lebowski but it didn't blow me away the way it did so many other people who have seen it and regard it as a masterpiece. I'm still convinced there must be something about the movie I'm missing and a re-watch has been put on my schedule to figure out exactly what it is, but as of right now, no, I do not consider the film a masterpiece.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
I think this movie could have virtually anything in it, tell virtually any kind of story because the allure is The Dude/Jeff Bridges. He's a truly unique, attractive and lovable character for many. You know, Mannnnn?
I think I overstated things a bit as the other characters and humor is great, but I also think the movie's attitude, perspective, largely represented by The Dude, is what's so attractive to those who love it. As such, I can see how others don't fancy or think it anything special.