Born Today

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Born on January 26th:

Paul Newman - Actor who won numerous awards, including an Academy Award for best actor for his performance in the 1986 Martin Scorsese film The Color of Money and eight other nominations, six Golden Globe Awards (including three honorary ones), a BAFTA Award, a Screen Actors Guild Award, a Cannes Film Festival Award, an Emmy Award, and many honorary awards. He also won several national championships as a driver in Sports Car Club of America road racing, and his race teams won several championships in open wheel IndyCar racing. He married actress Joanne Woodward in 1958, and they remained married for 50 years, until his death. He was a co-founder of Newman's Own, a food company from which Newman donated all post-tax profits and royalties to charity. As of 2014, these donations exceeded US$400 million.

Ellen DeGeneres - Comedian, TV host, actress, writer, and TV producer who was the star of the popular sitcom "Ellen" from 1994 to 1998, and has hosted her syndicated talk show "The Ellen DeGeneres Show" since 2003As a film actress, she starred in Mr. Wrong (1996), appeared in EDtv (1999), and The Love Letter (1999), and provided the voice of Dory in the Pixar animated film Finding Nemo (2003), for which she was awarded the Saturn Award for Best Supporting Actress, the first time an actress won a Saturn Award for a voice performance. In 2010 she was a judge on "American Idol" for its ninth season. She has hosted the Academy Awards, Grammy Awards, and the Primetime Emmys. She has authored three books, and started her own record company, Eleveneleven. She has won 13 Emmys, 14 People's Choice Awards, and numerous other awards for her work and charitable efforts. .

Scott Glenn - Actor whose roles have included Wes Hightower in Urban Cowboy (1980), astronaut Alan Shepard in The Right Stuff (1983), Emmett in Silverado (1985), Commander Bart Mancuso in The Hunt for Red October (1990), Jack Crawford in The Silence of the Lambs (1991), Roger in Training Day (2001), Ezra Kramer in The Bourne Ultimatum (2007), and The Wise Man in Sucker Punch (2011).

Vito Scotti - Character actor who was known as a man of a thousand faces, for his ability to assume so many divergent roles in more than 200 screen appearances, in a career spanning 50 years. He was known for his resourceful portrayals of various ethnic types. Born of Italian heritage, he was seen playing everything from a Mexican bandit, to a Russian doctor, to a Japanese sailor.

Charles Lane - Character actor whose career spanned 64 years and more than 250 movies. He appeared in many Frank Capra films, including You Can't Take It With You (1938), Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939), Arsenic and Old Lace (1944) and It's a Wonderful Life (1946). He was a favored supporting actor of Lucille Ball, who often used him as a no-nonsense authority figure and comedic foe of her scatterbrained TV character on her TV series "I Love Lucy", "The Lucy–Desi Comedy Hour" and "The Lucy Show".

Joan Leslie - Retired American actress who appeared in such films as High Sierra, Sergeant York and Yankee Doodle Dandy. On August 12, 2006, she received a Golden Boot Award for her contributions to the genre of Western television and movies. On 8 February 1960, she received a Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 1560 Vine Street.

William Hopper - Actor who is best remembered for playing private detective Paul Drake in more than 250 episodes of the TV series "Perry Mason", and for his role as the father of Natalie Wood's character in Rebel Without a Cause.

Maria von Trapp - The stepmother and matriarch of the Trapp Family Singers. Her story served as the inspiration for a 1956 German film that in turn inspired the Broadway musical The Sound of Music (1959) and the 1965 film of the same name.

Colin O'Donoghue - Irish actor and musician known for his role as Captain Killian "Hook" Jones on the TV show "Once Upon a Time", and his role as Michael Kovak in "The Rite".

Bob Uecker - Retired American Major League Baseball player, later a sportscaster, comedian and actor. Uecker was given the title of "Mr. Baseball" by TV talk show host Johnny Carson. On TV, he played father/sportswriter George Owens on the 1980s sitcom "Mr. Belvedere". Since 1971 Uecker has served as a play-by-play announcer for Milwaukee Brewers radio broadcasts. In 2001, he was inducted into the National Radio Hall of Fame. In 2010, he was inducted into the Celebrity Wing of the WWE Hall of Fame.

Wayne Gretzky - Canadian former professional ice hockey player and former head coach. He played 20 seasons in the National Hockey League (NHL) for four teams from 1979 to 1999. Nicknamed "The Great One", he has been called "the greatest hockey player ever" by many sportswriters, players, and the NHL itself. He is the leading point-scorer in NHL history, with more assists than any other player has points, and is the only NHL player to total over 200 points in one season – a feat he accomplished four times. In addition, he tallied over 100 points in 16 professional seasons, 14 of them consecutive. At the time of his retirement in 1999, he held 61 NHL records: 40 regular-season records, 15 playoff records, and six All-Star records. He still holds many of his NHL records.

Douglas MacArthur - American five-star general and Field Marshal of the Philippine Army. He was Chief of Staff of the United States Army during the 1930s and played a prominent role in the Pacific theater during World War II. He received the Medal of Honor for his service in the Philippines Campaign, which made him and his father Arthur MacArthur, Jr., the first father and son to be awarded the medal. He was one of only five men ever to rise to the rank of General of the Army in the US Army, and the only man ever to become a field marshal in the Philippine Army.

Edward "Eddie" Van Halen - Musician and songwriter who is best known as the lead guitarist, keyboardist and co-founder of the hard rock band Van Halen. He is considered to be one of the world's greatest guitarists, and one of the most influential rock guitarists of the 20th century. In 2011, Rolling Stone magazine ranked him as #8 in the list of the 100 Greatest Guitarists. In 2012, he was voted in a Guitar World magazine reader's poll as #1 of "The 100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time".

Van Halen - Jump

Anita Baker - Singer, songwriter who rose to stardom following the release of her platinum-selling album, "Rapture", which included the Grammy-winning single "Sweet Love". To date, she has won eight Grammy Awards and has five platinum albums and one gold album to her credit.

Anita Baker - Giving You The Best That I Got

Andrew Ridgeley - English singer, songwriter and guitarist who was a member (with George Michael) of the music duo Wham!. Wham! produced four number one singles between 1984 and 1985: 'Wake Me Up Before You G-Go', 'Freedom', 'I'm Your Man', and 'The Edge of Heaven'. They would have had five consecutive number 1 records but 'Last Christmas / Everything She Wants' was partially eclipsed by the Band Aid single 'Do They Know It's Christmas'.

Wham! - Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go

He had all that fame and money from being "the other bloke in Wham!" and ended up with the best looking girl from Bananarama. Some guys really do have all the luck, don't they?

You got good taste!!!

Back in the 80s me and my friends would watch MTV and argue who got the dark haired one. The answer

WARNING: "spoiler" spoilers below
NONE OF US!

Born on January 27th:

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - Influential composer of the Classical era who composed over 600 works, many acknowledged as pinnacles of symphonic, concertante, chamber, operatic, and choral music. He is among the most enduringly popular of classical composers, and his influence on subsequent Western art music is profound.

Jerome Kern - American composer of musical theatre and popular music who wrote more than 700 songs, used in over 100 stage works, including such classics as "Ol' Man River", "Can't Help Lovin' Dat Man", "A Fine Romance", "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes", "All the Things You Are", "The Way You Look Tonight", "Long Ago (and Far Away)" and "Who?". He collaborated with many of the leading librettists and lyricists of his era, including George Grossmith Jr., Guy Bolton, P. G. Wodehouse, Otto Harbach, Oscar Hammerstein II, Dorothy Fields, Johnny Mercer, Ira Gershwin and E. Y. Harburg. He was nominated eight times for an Academy Award, and won twice. Seven nominations were for Best Original Song; these included a posthumous nomination in each of 1945 and 1946. One nomination was in 1945 for Best Original Music Score. He was not eligible for any Tony Awards, which were not created until 1947. In 1970, he was posthumously inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame.

Ross Bagdasarian - Pianist, singer, songwriter, actor and record producer who was best known as the creator of Alvin and the Chipmunks. He was better known by his stage name David Seville. He wrote the songs "Come On-a My House", "Witch Doctor", and "Chipmunk Song".

Marc Daniels - Director who is best known for directing over a dozen episodes of the original "Star Trek" TV series, (including the episodes "Mirror, Mirror" and "Space Seed"), and writing the episode "One of Our Planets is Missing" of the "Star Trek" animated series. He also directed CBS' first dramatic anthology program, "Ford Theater", mastering live television direction, and the first 38 episodes of "I Love Lucy". He has been credited, along with cinematographer Karl Freund, with introducing the three-camera technique of filming as opposed to the conventional one-camera. He was nominated for three Emmy awards and three Directors Guild of America awards.

Frank Miller - Writer, artist, and film director best known for his dark comic book stories and graphic novels such as Ronin, Daredevil: Born Again, The Dark Knight Returns, Sin City and 300. He also directed the film version of The Spirit, shared directing duties with Robert Rodriguez on Sin City, Sin City: A Dame to Kill For and produced the film 300. He is also known for creating the comic book character Elektra. He won six Eisner Awards, four Kirby Awards, three Harvey Awards, and in 2006, he received The Comic-Con Icon Award.

Philip Rosenthal - TV writer and producer who is best known as the creator, writer, and executive producer for the TV sitcom "Everybody Loves Raymond".

Alan Cumming - Actor who is best known for his roles in the movies Emma, GoldenEye, Spy Kids, and X2. He also introduces "Masterpiece Mystery!" for PBS, and he appears on the TV series "The Good Wife", for which he has been nominated for two Primetime Emmy Awards, two Screen Actors Guild Awards, a Golden Globe Award and a Satellite Award. His London stage appearances include "Hamlet", the Maniac in "Accidental Death of an Anarchist" (for which he received an Olivier Award), the lead in "Bent", and the National Theatre of Scotland's "The Bacchae". On Broadway he has appeared in "The Threepenny Opera", as the master of ceremonies in "Cabaret" (for which he won a Tony Award), and "Design for Living".

James Cromwell - Actor whose films include Babe, (for which he was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor), Star Trek: First Contact, L.A. Confidential, The Green Mile, Space Cowboys, The Sum of All Fears, W., The Artist, and the TV series "Six Feet Under", "24", and "American Horror Story: Asylum". He has been nominated for an Oscar, four Emmy Awards, and four Screen Actors Guild Awards. He won the 2013 Canadian Screen Award for Best Actor for his role in Still Mine, and the 2013 Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Miniseries or a Movie for his role in "American Horror Story: Asylum".

James Cromwell as Zefram Cochrane in Star Trek: First Contact.

Patton Oswalt - Comedian, writer, actor and voice actor who is best known for his roles as Spencer Olchin in the TV sitcom "The King of Queens", and for voicing Remy in the film Ratatouille. As of September 2013, he narrates the TV series "The Goldbergs", and he currently plays the recurring role of Agent Koenig on the TV series "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.", and as his brothers Eric and Billy Koenig.

Donna Reed - Actress who is best known for her roles as Mary Hatch Bailey in Frank Capra's 1946 film It's a Wonderful Life, as Lorene Burke in the 1953 war drama From Here to Eternity, for which she received the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress, and as Donna Stone, an American middle class mother in the TV sitcom "The Donna Reed Show", for which she received the Golden Globe Award for Best TV Star in 1963. Shas a Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 1610 Vine Street.

Troy Donahue - Actor and singer who is known for his roles in the movies A Summer Place, Parrish, Susan Slade, Rome Adventure, Palm Springs Weekend, and A Distant Trumpet. He is also known for his roles in the TV series "Surfside 6" and "Hawaiian Eye". In 1960, he was named by Film Daily as one of the five "finds" of the year.

Howard McNear - Character actor who is best remembered as Floyd Lawson, the barber in the TV series "The Andy Griffith Show", and as Doc Charles Adams in CBS Radio's "Gunsmoke" from 1952–1961.

Tracy Lawrence - Country music singer, songwriter who has had more than thirty singles on the Billboard country music charts. Of these, eight have reached number one: "Sticks and Stones", "Alibis", "Can't Break It to My Heart", "My Second Home", "If the Good Die Young", "Texas Tornado", "Time Marches On", and "Find Out Who Your Friends Are". He has released nine studio albums, three compilations, a live album, and a Christmas album.

Tracy Lawrence - I See It Now

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Marc Daniels.jpg
Views:	3787
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	19724   Click image for larger version

Name:	ZeframCochrane.jpg
Views:	3700
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	19725  

Every time I see James Cromwell I have this awe like reverence, like some quasi-religious experience. Not of the actor himself, but what he represents. I'm sure you know what I mean.

Every time I see James Cromwell I have this awe like reverence, like some quasi-religious experience. Not of the actor himself, but what he represents. I'm sure you know what I mean.

Yeah, I understand. He's done so many great roles, but I'll always remember him as Zefram Cochrane in Star Trek: First Contact.

It's a little bit late for January 28th, but I just wanted to do this quick post to say Happy Birthday to Mikhail Baryshnikov, one of the greatest ballet dancers in history. He can even hold his own in other types of dance with people like Liza Minnelli and Gregory Hines.

"The Nutcracker" (1977)

Baryshnikov on Broadway with Liza Minnelli (1980)

Baryshnikov dances Sinatra

Mikhail Baryshnikov in White Nights

Mikhail Baryshnikov and Gregory Hines in White Nights

Born on February 8th:

James Dean - Actor who is known for his roles in the movies Rebel Without a Cause, East of Eden, and Giant. He was the first actor to receive a posthumous Academy Award nomination for Best Actor, and is the only actor to have had two posthumous acting nominations. In 1999, the American Film Institute ranked him the 18th best male movie star on their AFI's 100 Years...100 Stars list.

Jack Lemmon - Actor who was an eight time Academy Award nominee, with two wins. He starred in more than 60 films, including Some Like It Hot, The Apartment, Mister Roberts (for which he won the 1955 Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor), Days of Wine and Roses, The Great Race, Irma la Douce, The Odd Couple, Save the Tiger (for which he won the 1973 Academy Award for Best Actor), The Out-of-Towners, The China Syndrome, Missing (for which he won Best Actor at the 1982 Cannes Film Festival), Glengarry Glen Ross, Grumpy Old Men, and Grumpier Old Men.

John Grisham - Author who is best known for his popular legal thrillers. including The Firm, The Chamber, The Client, A Painted House, The Pelican Brief, Skipping Christmas, The Rainmaker, The Runaway Jury, and A Time to Kill.

Jules Verne - Writer who is best known for his adventure novels and his profound influence on the literary genre of science fiction including Journey to the Center of the Earth, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, and Around the World in Eighty Days.

Lana Turner - Actress who is best known for her appearances in the films Love Finds Andy Hardy, Ziegfeld Girl, Somewhere I'll Find You, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, The Postman Always Rings Twice (1946), The Bad and the Beautiful, Imitation of Life and Peyton Place, for which she was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Actress.

Mary Steenburgen - Actress whose film appearances include Parenthood, Back to the Future Part III, Philadelphia, What's Eating Gilbert Grape, Time After Time, Elf, The Brave One, Step Brothers, The Proposal and The Help. She received a Golden Globe nomination for the 1981 film Ragtime, a BAFTA TV Award nomination for the 1985 TV miniseries Tender is the Night and an Emmy Award nomination for the 1988 TV film The Attic: The Hiding of Anne Frank. She won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress and Golden Globe Award for Best Supporting Actress for playing the role of Lynda Dummar in Jonathan Demme's 1980 film Melvin and Howard.

Nick Nolte - Actor who has appeared in films such as The Deep, 48 Hrs., Down and Out in Beverly Hills, Another 48 Hrs., Teachers, The Prince of Tides, Cape Fear, and Hulk. He has been nominated for three Academy Awards, twice for Best Actor and once for Best Supporting Actor.

Seth Green - Actor, comedian, producer, writer, and director who is the creator and executive producer and most-frequent voice on Adult Swim's "Robot Chicken".

Gary Coleman - Child actor who is best known for his childhood role as Arnold Jackson in "Diff'rent Strokes".

Jack Larson - Actor who is best known for his portrayal of photographer/cub reporter Jimmy Olsen on the TV series "Adventures of Superman".

Robert Klein - Stand-up comedian, singer and actor.

Audrey Meadows - Actress best known for her role as the deadpan housewife Alice Kramden on the 1950s American television comedy "The Honeymooners".

Ethan Phillips - Actor best known for his TV roles as Neelix on "Star Trek: Voyager", and as PR man Pete Downey on "Benson".

Ted Koppel - Broadcast journalist, best known as the anchor for "Nightline".

Vince Neil - Lead vocalist of heavy metal band Mötley Crüe.

Mötley Crüe - Home Sweet Home

Dan Seals

Dan Seals - God Must Be A Cowboy At Heart

Dan Seals - Addicted