Which series has made the most money overall?

Tools    

This list is taken after adjusting for inflation

James Bond is rightly at number 1.It is the most famous franchise and James Bond is the most iconic character worldwide.

I wouldn't count Marvel Cinematic Franchise as a single franchise.It consists of IronMan,Thor,Caps and Hulk all of which are separate entities.

The USP of the franchises above 2.5 billion is the not the actor except for Rocky(Stallone),Mission Impossible(Cruise) and Pirates(Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow).Even Indiana Jones had the advantage of being a Spielberg movie.

Naw, I'd say most of these check out fine. Just two points:

1. I'm disappointed that Twilight made that much money. It will only encourage Hollywood to make more stuff like that.

2. I'm surprised that Superman beat X-Men. I find X-Men to be the better of the two, and I assumed they would be more popular.
Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!
-Daniel, There Will Be Blood

^Lots of people enjoyed Twilight.For every one guy that hated it in my class(me),there were ten guys that loved it

^Lots of people enjoyed Twilight.For every one guy that hated it in my class(me),there were ten guys that loved it
Guys? As in men??? That's news to me. I mean, I do know about the occasional male who actually enjoys that kind of stuff, but nothing on a larger scale than that.

The rest of them only watched it because their girlfriends made them.

Then again, I'm a Harry Potter fan, so I shouldn't be making fun of others too much. But Harry Potter books and movies are on a whole other level from Twilight.

^Yeah.I guess tastes differ.All I see on the net is hate for Transformers.But pretty much everyone I know enjoys the movie.

I saw the Twilight movies just hoping atleast once they would show a battle between werewolves and vampires.Instead,they bored me to death with those stupid conversations in the flower garden(or something like that)

What hasn't really accounted for is how many films have been made.

Of course Bond is #1...

... there's 23 Bond films at $14.5 billion... and they're are currently working on the 24th...

Compare that to Harry Potter at 8 films and $9 billion... if they made 3 times as many Harry Potter films so their tally was the same as Bond, they'd be at 27 billion. Near twice James Bond's success.

I thought Harry Potter would win this.Didn't expect that Star Wars made more than HP.Didn't even think about James Bond.

No non-English franchises accounted for?

The Godzilla movies certainly made over 1 billion dollars adjusted for ticket price inflation, given that in the 1950's and early 1960's, Japan sold over 1 billion tickets per year (compared to 1.4 billion tickets in the US in 2011).

Also, adjusted for ticket price, Indian movie franchises also broke the 1 billion dollar barrier as well, considering they sell more than 3 billion tickets per year in India today.

What hasn't really accounted for is how many films have been made.

Of course Bond is #1...

... there's 23 Bond films at $14.5 billion... and they're are currently working on the 24th...

Compare that to Harry Potter at 8 films and $9 billion... if they made 3 times as many Harry Potter films so their tally was the same as Bond, they'd be at 27 billion. Near twice James Bond's success.
But the big question is:Can a franchise stay relevant for 50 years?James Bond will stay relevant even after 75 years.Not sure if any other movie franchise can do that.That's the brand power of James Bond.

Also, adjusted for ticket price, Indian movie franchises also broke the 1 billion dollar barrier as well, considering they sell more than 3 billion tickets per year in India today.
India isn't big on franchises till now.And Indian movies don't make that much money

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I thought Harry Potter would win this.Didn't expect that Star Wars made more than HP.Didn't even think about James Bond.
This is only when you adjust for inflation, which is impossible to be accurate, for example, in Illinois, where I live, I pay 8.25 per ticket, but I have friends in New York that have to pay 10.50. How exactly does it fit in those kinds of things? If we didn't adjust for inflation, Harry Potter would take the lead followed by James Bond, Marvel, Tolkien, and Star Wars. An exact list is impossible, however.

James Bond first ? all right ...

Hmm, would have definitely guessed that Star Wars would have taken #1. I guess James Bond just has a lot more movies

James Bond been around much longer than some on this lasts. Marvel will eventually pass Bond.

I know this is a little outdated as it was reported that Marvel Studios has made over $7 billion due to Guardians of the Galaxy. I think the X-Men franchise should be a lot higher than what it actually is. People don't know what they're missing I guess....

Master of My Domain
Of course the James Bond series is a good and classic one- but the reason why it made the most money is because the ability to make hundreds of films with it's simple theme...