The MoFo Top 100 Sci-Fi Films: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

HERE WE GO! 2 films that were on my list! I didn't give Edge of Tommorow a chance until a few months after its theater run but when I finally watched it I really liked it. It's like Groundhog day meets Aliens. Another movie that Bill Paxton was in and he killed it. I had it at #21. District 9, I'll also agree with my fellow mofos its Neil's only good movie. Only good that came out of Elysium was some more Jimmy Kimmel/Matt Damon skits, and Chappie......got Hugh Jackman another paycheck. Wasn't a fan. I really like Science Fiction that tackles social commentary in a good way like Her, Children of Men, and Avatar. Elysium hit you over the head with it but District 9 did it well and actually managed to make it as realistic as they could. I had it at #20.

Seen: 19/36

My List: 8/36
3. Looper (100)
6. The Prestige (72)
8. Signs (76)
13. Avatar (80)
14. 28 Days Later (85)
20. District 9 (65)
21. Edge of Tomorrow (66)
24. Source Code (92)

Oh cool! Glad you liked it! Thanks for posting about it
Can't wait for Rules to see and write a review for District 9!
In fact, I've only seen it once and would really like to watch again.

I'll have to watch The Time Machine remake again also - I recall not being thrilled by it (but I'm not even sure if I saw it in it's entirety). I remember not caring much for the original when I was a kid - maybe it was a little too cerebral for me at that age, or maybe I just didn't like the look of the Morlocks, but then when I went through a more recent phase of rediscovering old, classic sci-fi, I got a whole new appreciation for it.

Must be doin sumthin right
As much as I dislike Tom Cruise, I really liked Edge of Tomorrow. I had it at number 20 on my list. There was a pretty good Bill Paxton role in it as well.
This should be called the Bill Paxton memorial sci-fi countdown now. He's gonna show up twice in the top ten anyway

Distric 9 is a classical example of a science fiction where you extrapolate current events in such a way that it becomes a cliché.
The pleasures are definitely more in the surface stuff, though. Don't think Blomkamp was trying to make much of a political movie. Clumsy subtext in a genre movie is fine for me as long as the real focus stays on goofy stuff like Sharlto Copely meekly approaching lobster monsters with a clipboard

I'll have to watch The Time Machine remake again also - I recall not being thrilled by it (but I'm not even sure if I saw it in it's entirety). I remember not caring much for the original when I was a kid - maybe it was a little too cerebral for me at that age, or maybe I just didn't like the look of the Morlocks, but then when I went through a more recent phase of rediscovering old, classic sci-fi, I got a whole new appreciation for it.
The Time Machine remake is one of the most pointless remakes I've ever seen. They barely changed anything and almost everything they did add or update was dopey. Somehow even the Morlock effects are worse. 1960 version is much more charming and fun

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Two very good films though neither were on my list. Had we been submitting a top 40 list both would have been in with a strong shout. I think District 9 would definitely have made it, Edge of Tomorrow I'll need to give a rewatch at some point to be sure. District 9 is an interesting, slightly offbeat film with some occasional dark humour that actually turns out to be really quite tragic in the end; quite reminiscent of The Fly actually. And Edge of Tomorrow was just damn good fun. Was so much better than I was expecting. And damn Emily Blunt was a f*cking bad ass in that film! Based on that alone I was hoping for her to be given the role of Captain Marvel. Following the flop that Assassin's Creed apparently turned out to be (not seen it myself) we're still waiting on the first great computer game movie. Well EoT is probably the closest we have. It may not be based on a specific game but is based on the general concept of pretty much every game

In fact even though I voted for neither that may well be the best set so far

Seen - 28 / 36

My List
2. The Truman Show (#94)
14. Demolition Man (#68)
17. Guardians of the Galaxy (#77)
20. Galaxy Quest (#88)

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I watched both Edge of Tomorrow and District 9 for this countdown, but neither made my list. I liked Edge of Tomorrow, but I didn't like District 9.

Seen: 29-1/2 out of 36
My list: 3 so far

16) Source Code (2011)
21) Wreck-It Ralph (2012)
23) Galaxy Quest (1999)

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Glad to see so much love on the forums for Edge of Tomorrow!

I saw District 9 years ago. I thought it was a good movie then, but if I never see it again, I'll manage.

Welcome to the human race...
Because I've been behind on posting in this thread, just going to lump all the ones I've seen in here (assume that any missing ones are ones I have not seen and now know to try watching).

100. Looper - I thought this was alright at first, but it hasn't felt especially impressive on reflection. I keep thinking about revisiting it but we'll see if I do.
98. The Incredibles - Probably one of my favourite Pixars, though that may just be by default since I've seen it more than most.
96. Dredd - Would most likely make my own Top 100 Sci-Fi, albeit not the top 25.
95. Altered States - A decent watch, never really felt like it was too special though.
94. The Truman Show - Damn good movie, not something I feel much like revisiting though.
93. Event Horizon - Wasn't a fan of this when I last saw it, but since I'm re-evaluating Paul W.S. Anderson's work I may yet give it another chance.
92. Source Code - Decent, but runs about five minutes longer than it needs to and ultimately feels a bit too disposable.
90. War of the Worlds - Only just watched this yesterday, but thought it was pretty meh. Looks and sounds great, pity about everything else - at least I liked it more than the 2005 one.
89. Wreck-It Ralph - Would've thought this was more low fantasy than straight-up sci-fi, but whatever. I like it.
88. Galaxy Quest - Definitely good, though I feel like I don't like it as much as I should.
87. Back to the Future Part III - I don't hate it or anything, but I get the feeling there's a reason I didn't feel too worried about not re-watching it after the last time I watched the first two.
86. Silent Running - A nice little movie, though one I don't feel much enthusiasm towards.
85. 28 Days Later - You'd think I'd like it, but I kind of don't.
84. Seconds - Good Lord (in a good way).
83. Donnie Darko - *war flashbacks*
82. The Hidden - Good little '80s sci-fi, would watch again if I had the chance.
81. Strange Days - A worthy contender for my favourite Bigelow if it isn't already. Would have to re-watch to be sure, though.
80. Avatar - Fairly fun at the cinema, but re-watched it on TV a while back and...no frickin' way.
79. Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind - It's Ghibli, of course I like it.
78. Escape From New York - My #1, obviously.
77. Guardians of the Galaxy - Suffers from hype backlash, but I've managed to watch it three times and could still go for more so I definitely don't think I hate it.
76. Signs - Maybe I should give it another chance now that I've lightened up a bit re: Shyamalan but I have trouble imagining that I actually will.
75. La Jetée - Good.
72. The Prestige - Pretty decent even on re-watch, but I'm not too fussed about it.
71. Logan's Run - Feels pretty middle-of-the-road to me, though I do like a good '70s sci-fi aesthetic.
70. Snowpiercer - Good, but I do question if I could ever revisit it.
69. The Time Machine - Another decent one.
68. Demolition Man - Definitely one of Stallone's more fun movies.
67. Battle Royale - My #22.
66. Edge of Tomorrow - Good, probably worth revisiting.
65. District 9 - I remember thinking that this was the balls when I saw it in theatres, but between the passage of time and Blomkamp's diminishing returns I am actually afraid to revisit it now.

Carry on.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
85. 28 Days Later - You'd think I'd like it, but I kind of don't.
I feel like this could be used for almost everything.

Suspect's Reviews

Woody Allen is a pedophille
The Stats

Ghost in the Shell

Fourth animated movie to make the list. Wasn't tied with anything, so nothing else to say here.

Layout: 3rd, 7th, 11th, 12th, 18th, 23rd, 25th

Minority Report

Another film not tied with anything, so once again, nothing too interesting to say.

Layout: 7th, 8th, 10th, 14th, 18th, 20th (x2), 24th

Seen both but voted for neither. I flat out hated Minority Report and thought it was boring. Ghost in the Shell on the other hand I enjoyed. It was one of those old school anime movies that was coming out when I was an adolescent that me and my brother just had to see. I liked it and all, but I did not like it near enough as Ninja Scroll or Vampire Hunter D. I should probably revisit it though. It has been too long. Maybe I would appreciate it more.

17. Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
20. Escape from New York (1981)

My List: 2
Seen: 25/36

Ghost In The Shell was alright. Must admit i was a bit disappointed though considering its reputation, might give it another try sometime. Not seen Minority Report.