My top 100 favorite films of all time.

→ in
Tools    

Please hold your applause till after the me.

Hunchback of Notre Dame

This is oddly enough, in my opinion, the most flawed film on this list. I think that some of the story aspects are complicated and don't make sense, majority of the characters are forgettable, and the comic relief is ungodly annoying. However, what they get right, they get better than most animated films I've ever seen. The villain, Frollo, is one of the most complex and diabolical characters in cinema history. The animation, phenominal, everything feels gigantic. The music, beautiful, some of Disney's finest. And it deals with dark themes that won't scar children for life due to their careful storytelling. So while extremely flawed, it makes up for it with some of the finest stuff I've seen in any animated film.

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
If he did a part 4, it would have been a musical. I'll take Garfield, with his web shooters, as Spiderman.

The Birds

Everyone remembers their first Hitchcock film, and mine was The Birds. This is the film that I think really gives Hitchcock the title of "The Master of Suspense.". He manages to make a bunch of birds extremely terrifying. And through his masterful direction, he manages to make it scary even through the dated effects, unlike a certain sh*tty rip-off I know.

Full Metal Jacket

I only have one major problem with this film, and that's the fact that I don't enjoy the second half of the film as much as the first. The second half is still good, but I don't think it's anything special. However, I think the first half is some of the finest filmmaking in history. Not a bad performance to be found in the entire film, especially from R. Lee Ermey and Vincent D'Onofrio. And of course there's Kubrick's cold and calculating direction and cinematography, truly one of his best.

Born on the 4th of July.

Easily Tom Cruises best performance, mixed with Oliver Stone's most detailed and accurate direction, you have a film that tears back the layers of a human right down to the soul and I freaking love it.

The Revenant

As stated previously, I'm a sucker for visual storytelling, and Inarritu is clearly pandering to people like me. And while it is pandering, it still takes alot of effort to do it well. The film has some of the best cinematography I've ever seen, this is a truly gorgeous film. And while I'm not the biggest fan of DiCaprio in general, he gives the performance of a lifetime, he barely has a line and he leaves such an impression and should be praised for his work.

Sixth Sense

Before Shyamalan became a bad director only to maybe become a good director again, he made one of the most well paced, well crafted, and well written thrillers of all time. Of course, the twist is one of the best and both Willis and Osment give killer performances that continue to haunt me to this day.

This might just do nobody any good.
The Hateful Eight recently overtook Revenant for the top spot of 2015's best western that isn't really a western but its still top 10 of that year for me (top 20 of the decade, probably).

I mentioned before how I love the "nature over story" form that Iñárritu took for this. I think this video better expressed this sentiment:

John Wick

This is one of my three golden boy films that I think describe perfectly how to make modern action films (the other two will be on this list later). I love how well they build the world and characters through small actions and lines, you really feel just how much John Wick is feared through out this comic book like world. Wick himself is played fantastically by Reeves in probably his best role. The action and the stuntwork is some of the finest and most refined I've seen in years. This is a fantastic action film that should teach lesser action films how to be better.

Just went through everything up until now, reading and repping, and I really dug it!

We haven't interacted much, @NextScorsese, but I now just realize how similar our taste is. There is A LOT of movies on this list I would consider favorites, probably the most on any member list yet, and there is a small, small handful I dislike. Everything else I either like or love.

Good write-ups too, I appreciate the work you've been putting into this. I enjoyed the read and I look forward to the rest of the list!

- and you got No Country in your top 10 I just saw #newfavmember

The Birds is my second least favourite Hitch of the 20 i've seen after The Trouble With Harry. Love Full Metal Jacket. I like The Sixth Sense but have no intention of seeing it again. When did Shyamalan become a good director again?

The Birds is my second least favourite Hitch of the 20 i've seen after The Trouble With Harry. Love Full Metal Jacket. I like The Sixth Sense but have no intention of seeing it again. When did Shyamalan become a good director again?
Well, according to the masses and/or fans of Shymalalala, The Visit was a slight intro to a better Shymadlsldls and then with Split people seem to say he's finally truly getting back to form.

If you meant it in pure irony.... well.

Just went through everything up until now, reading and repping, and I really dug it!

We haven't interacted much, @NextScorsese, but I now just realize how similar our taste is. There is A LOT of movies on this list I would consider favorites, probably the most on any member list yet, and there is a small, small handful I dislike. Everything else I either like or love.

Good write-ups too, I appreciate the work you've been putting into this. I enjoyed the read and I look forward to the rest of the list!

- and you got No Country in your top 10 I just saw #newfavmember
Thanks.

The Cornetto Trilogy

I remember I said I only like to do one film per franchise, but I just can't choose. All of these films are so fast paced and crammed with so many jokes without ever feeling cluttered. Sharp writing, fast paced direction, and hilarious performances from every single cast member, any of these films can be considered comedy classics.

The Cornetto Trilogy

I remember I said I only like to do one film per franchise, but I just can't choose. All of these films are so fast paced and crammed with so many jokes without ever feeling cluttered. Sharp writing, fast paced direction, and hilarious performances from every single cast member, any of these films can be considered comedy classics.

back when I made my list I combined the LOTR films into one spot I should of done the same for this trilogy. Probably 3 of my favorite comedies ever.

back when I made my list I combined the LOTR films into one spot I should of done the same for this trilogy. Probably 3 of my favorite comedies ever.
Well this is the only time I'm gonna combine them, because I only want to do one film per franchise, but they were all so equal in quality I just couldn't pick.

Se7en

You can't make an all time list without at least one Fincher film. I hate to watch this film, but for all the right reasons. This film is so brutal and f*cked up it never fails to give me chills. And just like the sixth sense, the mystery is so well told that I still enjoy watching the film multiple times without getting bored. And at the time, who would have guessed that the director of Alien 3 would make something so great.