The MoFo Top 100 Sci-Fi Films: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
I have a 3-disc Blu-Ray set that has an extended version of the movie, but I haven't watched that version yet. Has anyone seen the extended version? Is it worth watching?
Extends some scenes, adds some new ones and gives a bit more backstory to Neytiri, but overall it just adds 15min of runtime. Great if you liked the movie and want more, but in the end it's filler. I have the same extended version (mine even has two different extended cuts...or four, as the dvds has their own extended versions) and I like both cuts, but I think I prefer the longer one.

I really enjoy both Escape from New York and Guardians of the Galaxy, but neither made my final list. I feel like I should have put Guardians on there though. I don't think it's the best Marvel movie, but it's probably my favourite one. It's also the only one I would've considered for this Countdown as well.

Seen: 17/24
My List: 3

01. Dredd (2012) - #96
09. Galaxy Quest (1999) - #88
22. Strange Days (1995) - #81

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
Escape from New York is a very entertaining film (though I do perfer Big trouble in little China myself), and it held out longer than I thought it would. Sadly it got cut from my list. Surprisingly enough to make room for the one above it. I had Guardians of the Galaxy on my #22 spot. It's in my top 5 Marvel movies and the only Marvel movie to make my list. Great soundtrack, great cast, funny as all hell and totally ernest in it's atempt to try a galaxy full of idiots, them included.

Seen 15/24

My list:

7. Wreck-it Ralph
---
20. Silent Running
---
22. Guardians of the Galaxy

Yup, and I stand by my prediction : I don't think people remember the Terminator as fondly as they do the Matrix. And not as many people, for that matter.
You should make a top ten predction. I did on the first page, and look forward to being way off.

Plus, Thor isn't science fiction - he's Norse Mythology! (Let debates commence!)
Well it says Sci-Fi on IMDB

Thor is easily one of the best MCU films in my opinion and is the only one that came close to making my list but didn't. My favorite "superhero" film in general is Kick Ass, which doesn't have any super beings in it and isn't sci-fi or it'd be on my list.

You should make a top ten prediction. I did on the first page, and look forward to being way off.
Oh, yeah. I'll play.

MY GUESS AT THE TOP TEN
1. 2001: A Space Odyssey
2. Blade Runner
3. Alien
4. Star Wars
5. Mad Max: Fury Road
6. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial
7. The Empire Strikes Back
8. Back to the Future
9. Terminator 2: Judgment Day
10. The Matrix
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Guardians of the Galaxy is a lot of fun, but did not make my list.

Avatar on the other hand, did. People like to tear it apart, but it is competent and entertaining story telling. Cameron created a world that people responded to, with technology that advances the medium. I still think it looks great and is fun to watch, definitely a top Sci/Fi film. It was my #17.

#17: Avatar
#21: Donnie Darko

Suspect's Reviews

You should make a top ten predction. I did on the first page, and look forward to being way off.
My prediction list (not my actual list by any means)

1) 2001, A Space Odissey
2) Star Wars
3) Blade Runner
4) Brazil
5) Alien
6) The Matrix
7) Terminator (see : I stand somewhat corrected)
8) Mad Max
9) Back to The Future
10) Interstellar

I plan on having a top ten prediction game when we get to the final 10.
Sure. By then we will pretty much know what is left, it's just a matter of guessing the order. This is guessing before we even get there.

Oh, yeah. I'll play.

MY GUESS AT THE TOP TEN
2. Blade Runner
3. Alien
4. Star Wars
8. Back to the Future
10. The Matrix
Hey! I promise, I did not peek

Oh, yeah. I'll play.

MY GUESS AT THE TOP TEN
2. Blade Runner
3. Alien
4. Star Wars
8. Back to the Future
10. The Matrix
I had six of those in my prediction. I will be very interested where Matrix will stand. I'm not convinced top ten. I would trade out T2 for my prediction of Solaris if I was a big fat cheater. Fury Road is interesting, it occured to me but I thought too soon.

Looking forward to the list Nope, and the eventual crowning of 2001.

Top ten in no particular order: 2001, Alien, New Hope, Blade Runner, Back To The Future, The Thing, Solaris, Empire Strikes Back, Children Of Men, Jurassic Park.
Here's mine again if anyone wants to hit me with the your way off stick.

Oh, yeah. I'll play.

MY GUESS AT THE TOP TEN
2. Blade Runner
3. Alien
4. Star Wars
8. Back to the Future
10. The Matrix
Mad Max Fury Road, gotta say I'd be surprised if it's in the top 10 but i'm hoping its up there somewhere its one of my favorites from 2015.

@seanc I'd have no problem with that being the top 10

G'wan then I'll jump on the waggony band ...

1. Blade Runner
2, Alien
3. 2001: A Space Odyssey
4. Terminator 2: Judgement Day
5. Terminator
6. The Thing
7. Mad Max: Fury Road
8. Metropolis
9. Star Wars (ep. IV)
10. Back To The Future

1. Star Trek The Motion Picture
2. Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan
3. Star Trek The Motion Picture
4. Star Trek III The Search for Spock
5. Star Trek IV Nimoy Saves The Whales
6. Star Trek The Motion Picture
7. Star Trek The Motion Picture
8. Star Trek VI The Undiscovered Country
9. Star Trek The Motion Picture
10. Star Trek V What Does God Need With A Starship?

"aint I a stinker?"

G'wan then I'll jump on the waggony band ...

1. Blade Runner
2, Alien
3. 2001: A Space Odyssey
4. Terminator 2: Judgement Day
5. Terminator
6. The Thing
7. Mad Max: Fury Road
8. Metropolis
9. Star Wars (ep. IV)
10. Back To The Future
I wouldn't be surprised if only one Star Wars make it, but if that's the case I think it's Empire. Surprised no one else thinks Children Of Men. Probably one of the five I feel most confident in.

I wouldn't be surprised if only one Star Wars make it, but if that's the case I think it's Empire. Surprised no one else thinks Children Of Men. Probably one of the five I feel most confident in.
You may well be right about the Star Wars franchise, it wouldn't surprise me.
As for Children Of Men - it's certainly a decent film but I've never regarded it as anything more than that myself.