Top Ten Korean Films?

Tools    

I don't actually wear pants.
South Korea is my favorite country for movies. They, as a whole, make excellent thrillers, and war films. I've been obsessed with Korean cinema for about four years now, and I'm always eager to discuss, and watch, them (though westerns have taken over that recently). So, what are your ten favorite Korean films?

Here's my list:

1. The Good, the Bad, the Weird
2. New World
3. My Sassy Girl
4. My Way
5. Berlin File
6. Bittersweet Life
7. White Melody of the Curse
8. Memories of Murder
9. Assassination
10. Front Line

Your turn!

Well, here we go:

1. OldBoy
2. Memories of murder
3. The host
4. Yobi, the five-tailed fox
5. The king of pigs
6. Mother
7. Treeless Mountain
8. The chaser
9. Welcome to Dongmakgol
10. Snowpiercer

movies can be okay...
Mother is a must see !
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
absolutely LOVE Korean cinema!!

In no specific order:

Masquerade
The Good, The Bad and the Weird
Oldboy
A Bittersweet Life
Mother
Assassination
Chaser
War of Arrows
The Admiral: Roaring Current
A Werewolf Boy

Mother is a must see !
Definitely! As noted by my list I like every Joon-ho I've watched so far a damn lot and this one is not an exception. I love the way this twists and darkens the mother courage trope while still remaining poignant and perfectly on point with its characters. He's great at dark comedy and at subverting genres, tropes and expectations. And his movies are very refreshing as a result.

This might just do nobody any good.
I suck because I've only seen enough for a top five.

1. Memories of Murder
2. OldBoy
3. Mother
4. I Saw the Devil
5. The Good, The Bad and The Weird

High on my list: A Tale of Two Sisters, A Bittersweet Life, The Host, Spring Summer Fall Winter... and Spring and looking forward to watching The Handmaiden and The Age of Shadows soon.

P.S. anyone else make this connection:

Bong Joon-ho = Alfonso Cuarón
Park Chan-wook = Alejandro Gonzales Iñárritu
Kim Jee-woon = Guillermo del Toro

?

Gotta admit. I've only watched 1 Korean film, but it has made me wanna try and delve into more Korean cinema, and its the zombie hit from last year which was Train to Busan. Easily one of the best zombie films I've seen in years. The action sequences were great, it was intense, and most importantly it didn't rely on CGI zombies like World War Z did most of the time.

Condensing it into top 10, probably it'll look like this

1. Memories of Murder

2. Sympathy for Mr Vengeance
3. The Wailing
4. The Man From Nowhere
5. The Host

6. Oldboy
7. Mother
8. The Quiet Family

9. My Sassy Girl

10. See You After School

Honorable Mention: Tae Guk Gi, Sympathy for Lady Vengeance, Speedy Scandal, Barking Dog Never Bites,

Some heavy contender in my plan to watch: Shiri, Kim Ki-duk movies

I suck because I've only seen enough for a top five.
There are a lot on Netflix streaming, if you have the service. It's how I've seen about half of what I've seen. I just wish they didn't remove New World because I don't have access to my Blu-rays right now (or DVDs).

absolutely LOVE Korean cinema!!

In no specific order:

Masquerade
The Good, The Bad and the Weird
Oldboy
A Bittersweet Life
Mother
Assassination
Chaser
War of Arrows
The Admiral: Roaring Current
A Werewolf Boy
I only don't dig Mother and Werewolf Boy because I haven't seen them. The rest are all no less than great. Your #2 is my #1 of all-time.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
A Tale of Two Sisters
Old Boy
I Saw the Devil
Castaway on the Moon

sadly, I can't remember anymore =*(

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Thanks! Good, Bad, Weird is really an excellent movie. I've been really amazed by the movies I've seen from Korea and I KNOW I've barely scratched the surface

Definitely going to check some of these out. I've only seen Oldboy and Sympathy for Lady Vengeance and thought they were masterpieces.

Korean cinema is brilliant.

1. Oldboy
2. The Handmaiden.
3. I Saw the Devil.
4. A Tale of two sisters
5. Bedevilled
6. A Bitersweet Life
7. Memories of Murder
8. Peppermint Candy
9. Mother
10. The man from nowhere

Honorable mentions: The Chaser, The Yellow sea, Thirst, Joint Security area, Castaway on the Moon, 3 Iron.

Gotta admit. I've only watched 1 Korean film, but it has made me wanna try and delve into more Korean cinema, and its the zombie hit from last year which was Train to Busan. Easily one of the best zombie films I've seen in years. The action sequences were great, it was intense, and most importantly it didn't rely on CGI zombies like World War Z did most of the time.

Oldboy would be my favourite Korean film for sure but Train To Busan was such a great Zombie film I really ended up enjoying it. I have to be honest in that I do not really tend to look at where a foreign movie is actually made I normally just hear of a movie I like the sounds of then will seek it out so for me I only look upon my collection of foreign film which used to quite substantial, sadly now it is almost none existent because of eye issues watching a film with subtitles is now problematic for me.

“I was cured, all right!”
South Korea is my favorite country for movies.
Hell yeah! My favorite too!

1. The Yellow Sea
  2. The Chaser
  3. Oldboy
  4. Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance
  5. A Bittersweet Life
  6. New World
  7. A Tale of Two Sisters
  8. I Saw the Devil
  9. The Man from Nowhere
  10. No Tears for the Dead
  11. A Dirty Carnival
  12. The Wailing
  13. Hwayi A Monster Boy
  14. Hope
  15. Train to Busan
  16. Memories of Murder
I'm sorry, it's impossible to choose just 10!!
and I can't decide an order! Love all of them!