The MoFo Top 100 Sci-Fi Films: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Woody Allen is a pedophille
The Stats

This film wasn't tied with anything. It was one quite a lot of lists, but none of them placed it above 11th.

Layout: 11th, 13th (x2), 16th, 17th, 23rd, 25th

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind

Another film not tied with anything. Pretty sure this is the first time this has happened. Anyways, this is the third 1st placer to make the list.

Layout: 1st, 10th, 14th (x2)

I never realised Avatar was still held in such high regard tbh.

I made 4 lists altogether before finalising it and sending it in, and Avatar never appeared on any of them.

Seen: 19/22

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I'm not a monster fan of Avatar, but I still appreciate the CGI.

Nausicaa I watched about two weeks ago and I liked it more the second time around. I can see why people love it around here. It's pretty solid.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Whoa.....you say The Matrix will be high on the list, but then list the Terminator as the next one?

We'll see, my crazy friend, we'll see.
At least you got the James Cameron part right.

A system of cells interlinked
Neither of these on my lists. Avatar was a technical achievement at the time, but otherwise a rehash of previous works. I enjoyed the effects, but that is about it. I haven't seen Nausicaa in about a million years, but I remember liking it a whole lot.

At least you got the James Cameron part right.
Yup, and I stand by my prediction : I don't think people remember the Terminator as fondly as they do the Matrix. And not as many people, for that matter.

Avatar is not a movie I liked at all, Nausicaä on the other hand I think is quite a nice watch.

Yup, and I stand by my prediction : I don't think people remember the Terminator as fondly as they do the Matrix. And not as many people, for that matter.
You are on a movie forum, my friend... a movie forum were we just held a Top 100 of the 1950s... ain't no one here "forgot" about one of the greatest sci-fi films of all time, even if it's not brand new.

The Terminator and its sequel will probably both be in the top 10 - if not, I will guarantee top 20.

Welp I'm the devils advocate here who had Avatar on their list. I never understood the hate it got after a few years of release I thought it was a solid sci-fi flick. Haven't seen the other one. Avatar wasn't in my top 10 but I did put it at 13.

Seen: 11/22

My List: 4/22

You are on a movie forum, my friend... a movie forum were we just held a Top 100 of the 1950s... ain't no one here "forgot" about one of the greatest sci-fi films of all time, even if it's not brand new.

The Terminator and its sequel will probably both be in the top 10 - if not, I will guarantee top 20.
I think The Matrix will most definitely be 30 or higher. I don't really know about Terminator.

Whatever comes up, I trust the MoFo's judgement and I'm sure we'll mostly agree on the outcome.

Still, I'm waiting to be right on this one

Welp I'm the devils advocate here who had Avatar on their list. I never understood the hate it got after a few years of release I thought it was a solid sci-fi flick. Haven't seen the other one. Avatar wasn't in my top 10 but I did put it at 13.

Seen: 11/22

My List: 4/22
I quite liked Avatar when I watched it on BluRay, but it did not make my list.

I thought the CG was really well done (no surprises there), but also, the action scenes were well choreographed and pretty understandable. Good third act, too.

Nausicaa is one of the great animes, (I just had a vision of Guap turning red) I've only seen the shorter English dubbed movie and loved that one. Glad to see Nausicaa make the list.

I loved the world of avatar, it's interwoven ecology, it's spirituality, the beings and animals that lived there.....BUT I could care less! about the live action, human space marines and scientist. Avatar should have been done as a pure CG movie about the planet, with no humans around.

A system of cells interlinked
The Terminator > The Matrix by a wide margin.

Also:

The Terminator on Rotten Tomatoes sitting at 100% fresh with an audience rating of 89%.

The Matrix on Rotten Tomatoes sitting at 87% fresh with an audience rating of 85%.

I like The Terminator quite a bit more than The Matrix, myself.

I wasn't a fan of Nausicaä. It was one of those Miyazaki films that was too overblown and overstuffed with fantasy elements and whatever else he wanted to cram in there. Not exactly my type of film either, though I rarely want to say that, since I don't see a certain "group" of films as an individual part. Cinema is cinema to me.

Anyways, Avatar. Yes, I like that one, might even love it actually. As with the likes of Gravity and Jurassic World, it is an "experience movie" as I tend to call them; it might not be strong on story or deep characters, but it's one hell of a ride, which is technically, visually, aurally amazing to disappear into. It's like a cinematic amusement park ride and that I think Avatar did well...

As mentioned here, the action is actually nicely done, choreographed and put together. Very breathtaking... But yeah, it lacks a lot on the human part, the dialogue and the overall plot. I thought about voting for Avatar, but decided not to, as there was other choices I'd rather have on my list.

I like The Terminator quite a bit more than The Matrix, myself.
Yes, and so do I actually. But being 30 years old, I'm not fond of the fist movie, although was born and raised watching the second one.

Still, I consider Matrix to be more relevant in the history of sci-fi. And when I predicted this, I was also trying to think like the majority.

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
Both Avatar and Nausicaä dissapeard in my final run-through, but had it been 30 nominations they would've both been in, and possibly higher than 25. As is, I think it's awesome that they both made the list. Avatar is one of only two movies I ever regret not watching in IMAX/3D when I had the chance. I actually skiped seeing it in theaters completely, something I regret even more. The world's breathtaking, the flora/fauna looks gorgeous and I loved the design of the Naví. The characters may be stock (though I loved Quaritch and Norm, as well as Dr. Augustine and Neytiri) and the story's a retread, but despite that it's a fun ride and an epic watch. Totally my favourite CGI-based movie.

I watched Nausicaä for the first time for the animation tournament, and I really liked it. It too had a pretty rote story, but it got a lot of heart and earnestness, something that made it stick in my mind. Couldn't be happier that these two made it.

Seen 13/22.

Yes Avatar was a sci-fi version of A Dance With Wolves, but I still think it pulled it off very well. Cameron has finished writing the FOUR sequels to this film and they plan to begin shooting soon. I am very curious to see where Cameron wants to take this world.

I think the main thing I didn't like with Avatar, was that they had all that cash thrown at effects... and yet they went the lazy route and stole sound-effects from Jurassic Park.
Seriously, every creature in Avatar is just reused sound-effects from JP.