Jarhead

Tools    

I See You When You're Sleeping
What guy from Garden State?

The trailer's not bad. I did get a little bored half way through it though.

District B13
Originally Posted by Yoda
Ah yes, Run DMC. Just full of "soul."

It's a trailer. The movie is supposed to fit its own era, but the trailer is supposed to sell the movie in this era. Now any movie about the past has to sell itself only with music written beforehand?
I totally agree with all of your points. Music certainly doesn't have to fit the era, but convey a realistic point. The dance track chosen was meant to give a person the jumps while citing platoon cliches. The song is not deep, the music was meant to sell the movie. For bucks, i didn't like it as it was cliche trash.
You keep saying it, but there's really no reasonable standard under which the song in question is a "dance" track.
Well, the song Jesus Walks is a dance track, because it is a hip hop song from a master of pointlessness. It is a good and catch tune, which is why it fit a movie, unfortunately the movie's scenes looked cliche and Jesus Walks was their to make the movie look cool. But the song means nothing, and the scenes look like they've been ripped from straight from every war movie ever made.
This is the second time you've been unnecessarily rude towards someone simply for disagreeing with you. Make sure it's the last.
I'm sorry I can't buy into the double standard you've set, yoda. But, in all fairness, both of the comments about me were smug, and I was smug back, if you can't see that then that is your fault. But don't set a double standard and expect me to swallow the pill. I may only comply if you set moderation upon me, but I will vehemently disagree with you on this hypocritical matter. But, then again, I'm not into playing this game which is clearly a losing battle with someone who can so easily click a few buttons and be rid of me, so in the end, you win, but only by default.

Originally Posted by MinionTV
What guy from Garden State?
Peter Saarsgard.

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by ObiWanShinobi
Also, note to Sedai: You once told me that you never looked at a preview to determine if a movie is good or not. What is up with you quoting the trailer as good? I was just about to follow your moo but now you're going poo poo.
Determine if the film is good or not? I didn't say anything about the film, ever. Never, ever, never. I remember stating I thought the trailer looked interesting, but can;t possibly know if the film is good or not without seeing it. Also, I never said "don't use the trailer to determine of a film is good or not", andyou have clearly misunderstood my earlier point, which was not to set up expectations for a film (based on marketing or anything else), but just accept it for what it is once you watch it, then determine if it's good or not. I do normally avoid watching trailers if I can, but I was sitting in a movie theater, so it was hard to miss.

Don't sass me captain sassy pants.

A system of cells interlinked
Apparently you didn't read my summise, I said I can't stand on a leg about the movie. But this trailer that everyone is quoting as being so cool is cliche dance trash.

So I can type and type as long as you can't fathom a reasonable answer or response. Or maybe you just like cliche trash?
I don't know, is dance music inherently cliche? I like dance music, but also play over half a dozen instruments and have studied music seriously since I was five. Some of the never danc emusic is incredibly innovative and interesting. You want to talk about music? You call some music cliche, but champion friggin GUNS AND ROSES as film score?? Guns and Roses?? Sing Night Trail Axle! Wave that hairpiece around! Fall of the stage and break another bone! Piss all over yourself!

The dance track chosen was meant to give a person the jumps while citing platoon cliches.
This may be a shock, but sometimes history repeats itselfm why lie and pretend not?

District B13
Originally Posted by Sedai
Determine if the film is good or not? I didn't say anything about the film, ever. Never, ever, never. I remember stating I thought the trailer looked interesting, but can;t possibly know if the film is good or not without seeing it. Also, I never said "don't use the trailer to determine of a film is good or not", andyou have clearly misunderstood my earlier point, which was not to set up expectations for a film (based on marketing or anything else), but just accept it for what it is once you watch it, then determine if it's good or not. I do normally avoid watching trailers if I can, but I was sitting in a movie theater, so it was hard to miss.

Don't sass me captain sassy pants.
My mistake.

Originally Posted by 7thson
This may be a shock, but sometimes history repeats itselfm why lie and pretend not?
I agree, but it's a cheap way to sell a movie.

I agree, but it's a cheap way to sell a movie.
It may be a cheap way to sell a movie, but nowadays it's practically the only way. If we lived in a perfect world, people would go watch this movie because the cast is stellar and the director(Sam Mendes) has already proven himself to be a great director by winning an Academy Award, but we don't live in a perfect world and the only way to sell a movie is with a schnazzy trailer and a catchy tagline. "Welcome to the suck."

Unfortunately, Jarhead the movie is a bit of a disappointment...for me, anyway. You can read my fuller thoughts on why in THIS thread.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I haven't read the book, but I saw Jarhead yesterday and thought it was the best film I've seen all year. Granted, I haven't seen that many films at the theatre this year, but there was something about Jarhead that made me enjoy it more than Sin City and Batman Begins. It's incredibly fascinating, beautiful, and, oh, did I mention that Jake Gyllenhaal was hot parading around naked with a Santa Claus hat on? I want to read the book now.

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity
I haven't read the book, but I saw Jarhead yesterday and thought it was the best film I've seen all year.
I was looking forward to Jarhead after seeing the trailer. IMO, the trailer was far better than the movie. That's the thing about trailers, you form an opinion of where the movie is going and sometimes it doesn't go there. The inner commentary I was expecting from Swofford never arrived.

The acting was fine by Foxx, Gyllenhall and Sarsgaard. But like the movie, their characters were underdeveloped. A conscience never really appeared. Jake does great facial expressions but this movie needed more. It needed a voice.
My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

Originally Posted by Twain
I was looking forward to Jarhead after seeing the trailer. IMO, the trailer was far better than the movie. That's the thing about trailers, you form an opinion of where the movie is going and sometimes it doesn't go there.
I haven't seen the trailer. I also haven't seen any TV spots because I rarely watch TV. I just knew about it and had seen pictures. Going into Jarhead, I was afraid that I would be bored to death by a war movie. I haven't seen many, but years ago my parents took me to see Saving Private Ryan with them and I closed my eyes and napped during the loud, final gunfight scene. The movie totally bored me.

But like the movie, their characters were underdeveloped.
True.

And this is my BOOMstick!
This movie if fantastic! Been a while since I saw such a well-crafted and quality film.