10 Years Ago: Your Movie Memories of 2007?

Tools    

This was something I would have liked to do last year for 2006 but never got around to it. I figured that I'd do it now for 2007 since that was quite a memorable movie year for me as well.

So yeah, the purpose of this thread is for all of us to share our fond film-related memories of 2007. Maybe you first saw your favorite film that year? Maybe you were a member of MoFo even back then and remember some interesting discussions? Whatever it is, post it here!

I was only 15/16 in 2007 so I really wasn't a massive movie fan but a casual one (certainly not big enough to want to join a movie forum ) but I did see quite a few movies in the theater, the first one being 300 in March, which I was extremely hyped for after first seeing the trailer for it when I saw Saw 3 I believe. It definitely lived up to the hype and my 15 year old self thought it was so "bad-ass!"

The next month I went to see the Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie with some friends at the mall and thought it was hilarious (that whole day was hilarious from what I remember) and then just a week or 2 later I saw Hot Fuzz, another hilarious movie! It was definitely my favorite theater-going month of the year. I saw a few others throughout the year such as Spider-Man 3, which had a lot of buzz and a lot of my friends were talking about it. Fantastic Four sequel, Harry Potter, The Simpsons Movie etc. None of them though could really compare to those movie from the beginning of the year.

Also, when a relic of the past called "BlockBuster" existed, I rented A Clockwork Orange and watched that for the first time. That was probably the first movie where I watched it from beginning to end and had no idea what the hell just happened. I also remember buying a Boondock Saints shirt where on the front it said "Kiss my ass. I'm Irish." and whenever I wore it in public I got quite a few odd looks when people walked by me.

Let's hear yours!

This might just do nobody any good.
Ooh, I remember (as a ten year old) being confused about wether I liked Spider-Man 3 or not.

I was also obsessed with The Prestige then. Everyone hated me for how often I watched that.

Oh, and freaking out about the trailer for The Dark Knight.

I remember my friend and I deciding There Will Be Blood was better than No Country for Old Men. I stand by our agreement, even though I like the latter.

^ Dont know that there's a right or wrong answer there. I prefer TWBB. I think it's a perfect movie but then again, so is NCfOM.

I remember this quote: "There Will Be Blood is a masterpiece that grabs you by the throats and screams at you about its greatness. No Country taps you on the shoulder and whispers "I was pretty good, huh?""

Another movie I obsssed with: Jesse James. My favorite movie. First time I tried to analyze a movie and I'm glad it was that one.

^ that's another one. Ratatouille was the first movie I saw in a theatre twice.

Wow, what a carefree 37-years-old I was way back then!

This is a less interesting exercise for those of us who were already adults ten years ago and who were also members of this forum. I am not going to dig back through old posts until I find the 2007 crop, but they're there. Lots of 'em, I'm sure. I did find a year-end top ten list I made for 2007:

1. 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days
2. No Country for Old Men
3. Zodiac
4. Away from Her
5. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
6. Taxi to the Dark Side
7. The Savages
8. The Counterfeiters
9. Lars and the Real Girl
10. Margot at the Wedding

I still like my top five a lot, and I would keep them right where they are. I have been meaning to re-watch both The Savages and Margot at the Wedding. I have been thinking about both recently, in relation to Manchester by the Sea and also because by chance I re-watched most of Winter Passing on cable a couple weeks back and while OK I put it in a much lesser class than both The Savages and Margot. I didn't remember they both came out in the same year, but I have grouped them together in my head because of their subject matter and tone. So I may break those out this weekend.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Wow... 2007... that was the year I ended up homeless and lost everything I had, including my entire DVD collection.

I missed pretty much most movies released from March 07 to Feb 08
At the time though, the movies for me were the 2006 movies as that was all I really had to fall back on for new releases... X-Men The Last Stand, Pirates Of The Caribbean, Mission: Impossible 3, Superman Returns plus all the other Hollywood garbage.
Pan's Labyrinth was a big deal, knocked me sideways. Rocky Balboa was decent, Silent Hill a decent video game adaption... The Lady In The Water was surprisingly good too, gets a lot of hate but I liked it.

Hmm, if I had to guess what my top ten of 2007 was at that time I bet it would have been...

1. Spider-Man 3
2. Transformers (I was ten)
3. Jesse James
4. The Simpsons Movie
5. 3:10 to Yuma
6. Hot Rod (a masterpiece)
7. Ratatouille
8. Balls of Fury
9. Hot Fuzz
10. Across the Universe

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I believe I was a fresh faced college kid. First year in my Film & Television Production program.

As for films? I remember taking my wife (girlfriend at the time) to see two films, There Will Be Blood and No Country For Old Men. She hated them both.

Here were my top ten back then. I think my line-up would be different now.

Here are my picks for the best of 2007.

I still have some more to see though...

10. 1408

A refreshing and scary film that did not have to rely on gore.

9. HOT FUZZ

A perfect parody of action films that nailed everything right.

8. SUNSHINE

Beautiful and gripping. One of the most beautiful films of 2007

7. DARJEELING LIMITED

Just as off beat, heartfelt and colourful as every other Wes Anderson film. Where it lacks with plot it makes up for in style.

6. 300

An early favourite still makes it to the top ten. It's bad ass and a step towards the future in filmmaking.

5. RATATOUILLE

Best animated film of recent years. A perfect reason to buy a new Blu-Ray player.

4. NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN

It didn't win best picture for nothing. Thrilling and chilling at the same time.

3. THERE WILL BE BLOOD

A performance for the ages with confident direction. The music alone makes it a top ten film.

2. JUNO

This year's Little Miss Sunshine. It's funny, charming and depressing all in one.

1. GRINDHOUSE

Never have I ever had so much fun at the movies than I did with Grindhouse. The movie, the audience and myself were all in the same mode; high powered entertainment.

Biggest Surprise: Live Free or Die Hard

Biggest Disappointment: Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

Was Good, Could Have Been Better: Transformers

Worst Movie Of The Year: Epic Movie

Suspect's Reviews

Sexy's Very Sexy Top 10 Films of 2007!
(complete with mini reviews)

Well, I didn't see everything that came out, but I did see enough. I'm sure there will be films of 2007 that I'll see later and think, gee, that should have been on my top 10 list! But here is my Top 10 list of films that I actually did see while living my sexy celebrity lifestyle in 2007.

10. Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium
Great movie with Dustin Hoffman and some woman who looks like a man. Enjoyable even for adults. Kermit the Frog makes a cameo. How can you hate that?

9. Hostel II
OK, yeah, so, totally far away from Mr. Magorium level here. Hostel II is a lot better than the first film. It's a sick, twisted movie, definitely not for everyone. But I cheered during its finale.

8. Hairspray
I think I like it even more than the original movie. John Travolta was perfect as Edna Turnblad - I don't care what other people say. What a fun, happy movie.

7. Live Free or Die Hard
What an enjoyable little summer movie this was. It got me into the Die Hard series - I have now seen them all. The first Die Hard is the best. This one is in second place.

6. Year of the Dog
I actually watched this for the first time last night! (OK, technically, that means I watched it in '08 instead of '07, going against what I wrote above, but so what) From Mike White, the writer of two of my favorite films, Chuck and Buck & The Good Girl, comes the story about a woman who becomes a vegan & a PETA member, along with crazy person, after her dog dies.

5. Sweeney Todd
Attend the tale! This was a great picture. However, I think Helena Bonham Carter lacked the energy and fun of whatshername from Murder She Wrote. Angela Lansbury! Yes. But we know she only got the part because she's Tim Burton's wife.

4. The Darjeeling Limited
This is utter fabulousness. Unfortunately, I saw it during the worst theatre experience of my life (review in this thread). Can't wait to own it on DVD.

3. Superbad
I already reviewed it here. It's a great film. It was actually better the first time I watched it than the second time though... it may actually deserve 4th place, with Darjeeling in 3rd, but I need to watch Darjeeling again to be sure. Still, I really enjoyed it.

2. Zodiac
A great movie. Unfortunately, people had to be murdered in real life for it to even exist. But, alas, it's still a fantastic flick from director ... god, I'm so forgetful (Hi, Alzheimer's) the guy who did Fight Club! David Fincher! There it is. It's a really long movie... but it sure did keep me interested and on the edge of my seat.

1. Death Proof
From "Grindhouse"! Actually, Grindhouse was a great theatre experience back in April. Originally, I liked Planet Terror more... but the Death Proof DVD has really bitten me. This is a terrific Quentin Tarantino movie. It deserves a full review from me sometime.

OK, well there you have it! I gotta go! YAY, 2008!

SOURCE:
Sexy Cineplexy: Reviews (which was started in 2007)

Legend in my own mind
No Country for old men
There will be blood
Zodiac
Hot Fuzz
Shooter

Sexy had Wes anderson, Tarantini, and Fincher in his top ten and was making top ten lists. I should have known 2007 Sexy, we would have got along fabulously.

Sexy had Wes anderson, Tarantini, and Fincher in his top ten and was making top ten lists. I should have known 2007 Sexy, we would have got along fabulously.
I'm not against those people. Trust me, the 2017 Sexy is far better.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
The thing that scares me is that many of the 2007 movies seem "recent", as in just a few years ago but it's been 10 ****ing years, anyone else feel like that?

Like say in 2001 for example, Lord of the Rings came out and a big movie from 10 years prior say Terminator 2 (91) seemed like it was ages and ages ago, nowadays it's like whhhaatttt that was 10 years ago.

I get reminded of big news stories thinking that was a couple of years ago and it was 2011.

Ten years ago still feels like the 90s, right? I've heard that from lots of people. Things move quicker nowadays.

Of the 2007 movies that I actually saw in 2007, I loved Ratatouille, 3:10 to Yuma (both of which I saw multiple times in the theater) and Zodiac. And, to varying degrees, I liked Superbad, Knocked Up, Charlie Wilson's War, American Gangster, Enchanted, Juno, Shrek the Third, and Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest. I hated No Country for Old Men, There Will Be Blood, Bee Movie, and Sweeney Todd.

I was 26 at the time and about two years away from joining MoFo.