Future of the DC Extended Universe

Tools    

Now we all know the DCEU hasn't satisfied everyone, but I'd like to know how you guys feel about it. Do you still think it can redeem itself? Do you still want to see WW and JL? Any characters you want to see in this universe? Actors/actresses you want to see in this universe? Story arcs you'd like to see? Etc
We're only 3 films in, ok for me SS being their last film and not as enjoyable as MoS or BvS is a little worrying but I'm still optimistic
A few small tweaks here and there could make a big difference

Hopefully the Nightwing movie won't be in development limbo like some of the others have

Now we all know the DCEU hasn't satisfied everyone, but I'd like to know how you guys feel about it. Do you still think it can redeem itself? Do you still want to see WW and JL? Any characters you want to see in this universe? Actors/actresses you want to see in this universe? Story arcs you'd like to see? Etc
It's not impossible for it to redeem itself, but every movie that they don't makes it much more difficult.

Look at Star Trek. The first film was....let's call it problematic. But they came back strong with the second from a critical, financial and viewer impact perspective and recovered. The DCEU had a problematic first film but did not come back strong with the second OR the third. And since that second film had EVERYTHING on paper going for it. I have less and less faith for Justice League to be anything buy chaotic.

That being said, still hoping Wonder Woman is their first actual hit.

I was wondering who would start the thread thinly disguised as a DC bashing thread.
Thinly?

It's not impossible for it to redeem itself, but every movie that they don't makes it much more difficult.

Look at Star Trek. The first film was....let's call it problematic. But they came back strong with the second from a critical, financial and viewer impact perspective and recovered. The DCEU had a problematic first film but did not come back strong with the second OR the third. And since that second film had EVERYTHING on paper going for it. I have less and less faith for Justice League to be anything buy chaotic.

That being said, still hoping Wonder Woman is their first actual hit.
Yeah, but you know what they say, TJ--three strikes, you're out. I've seen no evidence thus far that the people involved with the DCCU have what it takes to turn it around. Just their hasty decisions meant to "correct" it is all wrong: funnying it up like MCU is NOT the solution here--proper writing, directing and VISION are.

Yeah, but you know what they say, TJ--three strikes, you're out. I've seen no evidence thus far that the people involved with the DCCU have what it takes to turn it around. Just their hasty decisions meant to "correct" it is all wrong: funnying it up like MCU is NOT the solution here--proper writing, directing and VISION are.
Absolutely agree. And it's sad that with each announcement, it seems like they're more concerned with getting their stake in the ground of the field Marvel right now owns than they are in doing their characters and universe the justice they deserve.

The DC Universe deserves much better than what WB is doing to them.

Absolutely agree. And it's sad that with each announcement, it seems like they're more concerned with getting their stake in the ground of the field Marvel right now owns than they are in doing their characters and universe the justice they deserve.

I still say their best solution is just say "Hey.. we screwed up. reboot time". they've already burned a lot of audience goodwill to the point even fans are saying they're done. people complain about Superman killing in MoS, Snyder says it will be addressed in the follow up, so the next film, Superman's first scene is putting a human through 2 brick walls at mach 2. Snyder could have just switched to a shot of him flipping the bird at the audience for the same effect.

Ban snyder from ever setting foot on their property again, hire an overseer that KNOWS the material and won't just take the most popular stories for the heroes, throw them in a blender and film what drips out, make a legit long term plan and only hire talent that already knows, or is willing to learn the material.

a franchise where the first three films are garbage is ridiculous and has 0% rewatchability. you can't built a house on a crumbling foundation.

Yes, exactly. As an MCU fan, I don't WANT a DC copycat. I want them to do their OWN thing and stop trying to jump on this bandwagon. And Batman should seriously go a Netflix series route or something. Look how well it worked for Daredevil. Batman in the form of a series like that could work well, if you ask me.
They need to keep their eye on the ball and not the entire playing field because, at this point, it seems that they're incapable of handling a large load. They do much better when they have smaller, more focused projects. That's when DC movies tend to shine.

Ban snyder from ever setting foot on their property again, hire an overseer that KNOWS the material and won't just take the most popular stories for the heroes, throw them in a blender and film what drips out, make a legit long term plan and only hire talent that already knows, or is willing to learn the material.
Snyder could have back-handedly helped the future filmmakers in the DCEU. By mashing several of the most iconic stories into his films, he removed several options from the table for future stories. (Of course, Nolan also mashed several of them into his Batman films, further restricting the available options.)

It could turn out to be the film franchise equivalent of Hernando Cortez burning his ships to ensure the Spanish troops were properly motivated during the conquest of Mexico. (I'm pretty sure that happened. Sean Connery said it did in "The Hunt for Red October", and that's good enough for me.) With a bunch of the most iconic Superman/Batman stories on the shelf, we may just see some real creativity brought to the table. Too optimistic? What can I say - I'm a "glass 2% full" kind of guy.

I still say their best solution is just say "Hey.. we screwed up. reboot time". they've already burned a lot of audience goodwill to the point even fans are saying they're done. people complain about Superman killing in MoS, Snyder says it will be addressed in the follow up, so the next film, Superman's first scene is putting a human through 2 brick walls at mach 2. Snyder could have just switched to a shot of him flipping the bird at the audience for the same effect.

a franchise where the first three films are garbage is ridiculous and has 0% rewatchability. you can't built a house on a crumbling foundation.
Agreed. WB also, for the love of GOD, needs to stay the F%*^ out the director's way in their movies. Their constant interference and constant changes are also killing them.

Agreed. WB also, for the love of GOD, needs to stay the F%*^ out the director's way in their movies. Their constant interference and constant changes are also killing them.
They've actually done the worst possible kind of "meddling". Instead of doing the sensible thing - having a broad plan for how their universe should be constructed and where it should go, and ensuring from the outset that the director's plans fit into that structure - they seem to be giving the director carte blanche to "do their own thing". Rather than accepting the results of that process, though, they then try to mash the director's work into an ill-defined notion of what it "should" be in the editing room at the end of the process. ([MattShade]..."Should" is a fiction...[/MattShade]) They end up with individual film's that fail to be the "director's vision", yet still fail to contribute to an interesting and cohesive shared universe.

This might just do nobody any good.
Well, nots not forget they haven't been picking the best possible directors either.

I mean, did anyone here really think Snyder and David Ayer's "visions" would result in good movies without meddling?

They've actually done the worst possible kind of "meddling". Instead of doing the sensible thing - having a broad plan for how their universe should be constructed and where it should go, and ensuring from the outset that the director's plans fit into that structure - they seem to be giving the director carte blanche to "do their own thing". Rather than accepting the results of that process, though, they then try to mash the director's work into an ill-defined notion of what it "should" be in the editing room at the end of the process. ([MattShade]..."Should" is a fiction...[/MattShade]) They end up with individual film's that fail to be the "director's vision", yet still fail to contribute to an interesting and cohesive shared universe.
Expertly-placed MattShade reference there! I love it!

Well said on your points. And people actually wondered why FOUR directors stepped away from the DCCU? Even Affleck--the one people hoped would SAVE that sinking ship, threw his hands up and decided: "Enough's enough"...and, despite the fact that he didn't say that, we all know that was how it happened.

Well, nots not forget they haven't been picking the best possible directors either.

I mean, did anyone here really think Snyder and David Ayer's "visions" would result in good movies without meddling?
I was never impressed with Snyder's work. People praise the hell out of "300" and I couldn't even finish it. I hate that CGI filter he applied to the movie and I don't care what his reasons were for applying the filter--I don't like it.
He also uses this stupid black/white filter on Man of Steel and BVS and has everyone looking like a walking corpse in those films. Awful desaturated look in already awful, dark, dour and depressing films.
Saving Private Ryan was less depressing than BVS to me. Yes, I'm being serious--Saving Private Ryan, bleak as it was, was easier to digest. So was Schindler's List. BVS left me feeling emotionally exhausted and frustrated after watching it.

This might just do nobody any good.
I don't get how BvS is bleak. It's cartoonish. It's bleak like a 13 year old trying to write "edgy" superhero stories, which turn out hilarious at times. It's also hard to feel "exhausted" when every attempt at emotional investment is deflected by mindless montages.

I don't get how BvS is bleak. It's cartoonish. It's bleak like a 13 year old trying to write "edgy" superhero stories, which turn out hilarious at times. It's also hard to feel "exhausted" when every attempt at emotional investment is deflected by mindless montages.
The movie is long, droning and devoid of life in anything. That's why I find it bleak. The characters are like automatons and speak like company work promo actors. Everything is dark, drained of color and meandering.

It's exhausting to me in the sense that you're waiting and waiting for the movie to finish. It's long, droning, boring and meandering. That's exhausting to watch. My wife and I literally said this at the same time when the film's credits started to roll: "Oh, thank GOD!" No joke. Same time. Awful.

I actually fell asleep at the 40 minute mark. It took amazing willpower to rewind once I came to.

The movie is long, droning and devoid of life in anything. That's why I find it bleak. The characters are like automatons and speak like company work promo actors. Everything is dark, drained of color and meandering.

It's exhausting to me in the sense that you're waiting and waiting for the movie to finish. It's long, droning, boring and meandering. That's exhausting to watch. My wife and I literally said this at the same time when the film's credits started to roll: "Oh, thank GOD!" No joke. Same time. Awful.
Yeah people praise the directors cut when the best thing they did was clean up the edit order, something that could have been done in theatrical and not added another second, but when Snyder got the word he could do a directors cut he just shoved BvS into theaters not caring it was a jumbled mess.

The directors cut should have shaved 30 minutes off that bloated boring mess, not added another 30 minutes to it...

I am that one guy on the planet that liked BvS. I liked Snyder's visual prowess, and I don't care about preserving any alleged integrity of the so-called mythology of the characters. Eisenberg was a TERRIBLE Lex, but I knew that going in and I just sort of ignored his antics. Affleck was just fine as Batman, and I enjoyed a little bit of a darker take on Superman - I also thought WW rocked. That said, I did not like Snyder's Man of Steel film, which had severe pacing issues in the second half, even if it had some interesting stuff in Smallville at the start.

I think Snyder has great vision, even if he manages to scuttle many of his films as they move along, especially Sucker Punch. I still like Watchmen the best out of all his work, but BvS has a lot of really well done stuff in it. I never saw the theatrical run, only having seen the extended cut with allegedly more Clark Kent etc. Not sure how much that changed the film, really.
I'm with you man, i actually liked BVS, i loved the doomsday foght scene at the end i thought it was pretty epic, and i guess cause i do enjoy dark, gritty, comic book movies so maube that