Why are Oscar movies so depressing

Tools    

Have you ever noticed how many of Oscar movies are just beyond depressing? How many times have you actually had honest to god fun watching them and did not felt as if you are emotionally tormented? I rarely talk about it since it makes me look like uncultured simpleton (just for clarity sake, I am uncultured simpleton, I just do not like to brag about it)
but I sometimes think that Oscars are chosen by rich guys who never had any real problem in their lives, they feel guilty about it so they vote for movies about difficult issues to show that they care, and they empathise with people in different situations etc.
I am sorry to say it but world is filled with sad stories, if I wanted to hear a tragic story about old person being abandoned by their loved ones guess what? I can just knock on the door of my neighbour and hear all about it. Sick children- there is a hospice which I sometimes visit. Parents being cruel to their child- one phone call away, Parents not being accepting of their children choices- two streets away. And I am not even really good or engaged person, I am kind of selfish prick to be honest.
But I know that world is filled with tragedies, is it so strange that when I watch a movie I want feel god story where heroes achieve their goals, bad people are punished and friends are reliable? I know it may seem childish but I see movies as a way to unwind, to help me deal with the world. Give me "die hard" over von Tier any day of the week.
What do you think?

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I agree there aren't many optimistic movies, but more importantly, not any good ones.... Last year, I heard about Spotlight (before it was nominated).. It was ok, I even gave it a generous 6 (I handicap newer movies with an extra point usually).. But then to find out it won Best Picture..

I personally find the type of stories you are talking about to be the ones that teach me empathy. So I don't find them depressing, I find tgem rather life affirming.

Idk about all "depressing" word(not even watch many of titles on the award) but yeah there type of stories that selling well with award ceremony. I mean, The like typical true story that selling, heroism, patriotism, mellodramat-ism, pacifism or whatever the -ism been used. Not implied award bait as an utter garbage, only there that stereotype in nominees, I suppose, including the sad story or "tragic-ism" formula.

For me It's not "utter watch list" or something that I'll catch all each of it. It's just a kind/sort of filter (for north america released) in a year so I don't need waste my time or resource more, efficient-wise. Still not even a perfect filter ofc as there could be more interesting titles out of it contention, and that's part I suppose make it more intriguing and fun to dig and compare on.

Obviously I could be wrong but for me it's up to us ppl how to use instead of solely dictated by it. It simply popularity contest among the oscar circlejerk with some political taste on it.

I like psychological dramas, issues, tragedy in a movie.
Could you please support your thought with concrete movies?

I like psychological dramas, issues, tragedy in a movie.
Could you please support your thought with concrete movies?
It will be hard because I purposefully avoid what I like to call "Oscar bait" movies, but from the top of my head
Birdman- main hero having a crisis of life, wondering about squandered chances, yearning to prove himself while world seems cruel and uncaring... I have it every time I look in the mirror.

12 years of slave- I get it, slavery is bad, which is why it was abolished, I do not need to watch emotional heart-wrenching drama to know that being a slave is not pleasant.

Brokeback mountain- everyone who has half a brain knows that even today being gay is not all roses and sunshine, especially in smaller cities, people look at you like you are a freak of nature and will not hire you in many jobs if you are open about who you are. So yes, this story should be accompanied by nothing but giant "DUH!" from the audience.

Lost in translation- basically a movie about loneliness in the world.

I guess what I am trying to say is...I am human therefore I am empathetic being. I am not a robot, I do not need to watch 2 hour movie to finally say "oh so that is what loneliness feels like?" or " being a jew in death camp was terrible" . I know this, I do not need exercise of empathy because I know people who have been throught some terrible stuff, from being very ill to becoming disabled or simply depressed. When I watch a movie I want to see a world in which friends are tried and true, and justice wins in the end.
Sorry for long rant, I guess I just wanted to throw it from my chest.
Cheers.

Sadly, the history of "feel good" movies that actually are worth watching is pretty thin. It's easier to make a drama because, deep down, most people realize that, when you strip away the veneer, a lot of people are unhappy a lot of the time and don't want to see too much about others that have good lives, are happy, healthy, well off and have lots of friends and a loving family. We're also drawn to adventure and violence, most of which is unhappy too. Seeing others with scary, sucky lives makes us feel better about ourselves. You may not be happy all the time, but at least you're not being chased by the mafia or hanging on to a world threatened by extraterrestrials.

Film makers learned this from dramatists, like how, if you name the greatest plays of Shakespeare, you probably think about Hamlet or Macbeth, not one of his comedies.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I rarely talk about it since it makes me look like uncultured simpleton (just for clarity sake, I am uncultured simpleton, I just do not like to brag about it)

this made me laugh. Being cultured is over rated anyway.

I havent seen Spotlight.
or Birdman.
12 years a slave - heavy watch but I liked it.
Argo. I was interested in the story but I didnt think it deserved best movie, but movies like that are always going to be right up there in hollyweed.
The Artist - havent seen
King's Speech - love it!
Hurt Locker - havent seen.

So mixed bag for me just going back to 2010.

I think skizzerflake pretty much nailed it. Just look at people talk about fb when they track down people they went to school with. They get so distressed that people have such a better life. Oh c'mon. Someone on social media isnt going to talk about how their life really is.

It will be hard because I purposefully avoid what I like to call "Oscar bait" movies, but from the top of my head
Birdman- main hero having a crisis of life, wondering about squandered chances, yearning to prove himself while world seems cruel and uncaring... I have it every time I look in the mirror.

12 years of slave- I get it, slavery is bad, which is why it was abolished, I do not need to watch emotional heart-wrenching drama to know that being a slave is not pleasant.

Brokeback mountain- everyone who has half a brain knows that even today being gay is not all roses and sunshine, especially in smaller cities, people look at you like you are a freak of nature and will not hire you in many jobs if you are open about who you are. So yes, this story should be accompanied by nothing but giant "DUH!" from the audience.

Lost in translation- basically a movie about loneliness in the world.

I guess what I am trying to say is...I am human therefore I am empathetic being. I am not a robot, I do not need to watch 2 hour movie to finally say "oh so that is what loneliness feels like?" or " being a jew in death camp was terrible" . I know this, I do not need exercise of empathy because I know people who have been throught some terrible stuff, from being very ill to becoming disabled or simply depressed. When I watch a movie I want to see a world in which friends are tried and true, and justice wins in the end.
Sorry for long rant, I guess I just wanted to throw it from my chest.
Cheers.

Do you need to watch a two hour comedy to remind you to laugh, or do you watch them to laugh?

I mean, like what you want. I'm just not on board with the criticism.

Lost in translation- basically a movie about loneliness in the world. .
I cant remember that being about loneliness. I watch it from the point of culture clash because I've experienced that exact thing living in japan. Two people speaking the exact same language but their interpretation goes in opposites ways. Hell, you see it on the net all the time.

As for Brokeback Mountain, I loved it and thought it was very deserving.

I personally find the type of stories you are talking about to be the ones that teach me empathy. So I don't find them depressing, I find tgem rather life affirming.
This.

I don't find any art from depressing. I find it pretty inspirational that people can make, write, direct and act in movies that brilliant.

I think this is an interesting topic.

1. to get back to your OP, yes I do think the oscars are loaded.
2. life is not all puppies and rainbows. If I want happy ever after riding off into the sunset I'll watch disney movies.
3. Just on the Brokeback mountain thing, I'm going to assume you think that's 'hollywood gay agenda'? I see it as a love story with a tragic ending, much like Out of Africa for example. My focus is not on the gay element, but that sometimes sht happens to good people. Love does not always conquer all. I might have cried and I like movies that make me feel a range of emotions. I dont always want to be Pollyanna, if you know what I mean.
Even family movies can have bad stuff. Secret Life of Pets is not all cute stuff for kids. Either are kids books. They prepare young minds for real possibilities in the world, like some little creep at school might be a horrible bully.

Have you ever noticed how many of Oscar movies are just beyond depressing? How many times have you actually had honest to god fun watching them...
Having oodles of fun at the movies is why they make all of those gawd awful comic book movies. I was just looking at the new releases at Netflix, and the majority are those fun-action packed-popcorn movies. The world has enough of those.

There's scant few movies made each year that approach a level of sublime art. Give me serious thought provoking cinematic dramas anytime.

Serious question because this comes up a lot on the other place but I never get an answer. Why exactly is 'oscar bait' seen as a bad thing? Doesn't bother me at all. Either does nepotism in hollyweed. They're cast and crew networking, not politicians IMO. I am open to both sides of the debate.

Serious question because this comes up a lot on the other place but I never get an answer. Why exactly is 'oscar bait' seen as a bad thing? Doesn't bother me at all. Either does nepotism in hollyweed. They're cast and crew networking, not politicians IMO. I am open to both sides of the debate.
Can't answer because oscar bait is my favorite genre.

I honestly I don't care if a film is a depressing or not. I watch films mostly for the performances more than anything. As an inspiring actor myself the movie can have a pretty thin plot, but if the performances are great it more than makes up for it in my opinion. Manchester By The Sea is the perfect example I liked the movie, but it was mostly for the performances more so than the story itself. I think Michelle Williams should win for her performance in that it was incredible. There are others I can think of like Silver Linings Playbook that was a pretty by the numbers romantic-comedy but the performances by the cast are what make it special to me.

Master of My Domain
I don't watch movies to 'feel happy', so this doesn't bother me at all.