Song to Song (2017)

Tools    

I'm surprised this movie doesn't have its own thread.

Malick + Lubezki + Fassbender + Gosling has me salivating.

It looks absolutely great.

Trailer:

I love how they're used to be a gigantic gap between Malick films. Now we get at least one every year.

I haven't watched any of his since To the Wonder, but I liked that one. I need to catch up, because I definitely want to see this.

My only two requests are that Malick try and have some story focus, and that he makes a movie that doesn't cater specifically to the most pretentious 1% of film fans.

This might just do nobody any good.
*sigh*

I dread what Terry's become. As a director, I mean.

First I've heard of this but looks great!!
Funny thing is... I first heard about this movie in 2012, I think (Mara has her Dragon Tattoo hair in the trailer), which means I got through high school while this movie was getting made.

Back then it was meant to be "a small love story" with Christian Bale and Hayley Bennett. Knight of Cups and Voyage of Time got made in that time as well.

My only two requests are that Malick try and have some story focus, and that he makes a movie that doesn't cater specifically to the most pretentious 1% of film fans.
Well, count me as one of those "most pretentious 1% of film fans," if you want, but I don't think story is required to make a good film.

It seems like there is more dialogue and story going on in this one, even despite the still dreamy and metaphorical feel...

Anyways, I used to look forward to Malick - well I still do. But to me, he topped with his magnum opus, The Tree of Life... he used to do something at least a little different for each of his films, but after Tree of Life it's been the same old, tiring, monotone stuff. It's not awful, it's just FAR from great. I didn't like To the Wonder much and I didn't even finish Knight of Cups because how bored and annoyed I was (gonna try that one again soon leading up to Song to Song)

It's gonna look amazing though, we all know that.

Well, count me as one of those "most pretentious 1% of film fans," if you want, but I don't think story is required to make a good film.
Oh, neither do I, but it seems that he's alienated a large majority of fans by veering towards more abstract projects. I have no problem with more experimental films, but some filmmakers have a tendency to make their "artistic" projects more pretentious and cold, losing the humanity of them. As well-made and beautiful as The Revenant is, it didn't make me feel anything. I eagerly await Song to Song, but I just don't want to see a movie where people act and talk like aliens because that's more "artistic".

I want a full version of Gosling's cover of Runaway.

This might just do nobody any good.
I might watch this for Val Kilmer.

I better get to see this shot in Lubezki's usual, poetic style.

Knowing Malick, he'll only be in it for one shot.