My Favorite Movie Teachers

Tools    

Jack Lengyel, We are Marshall

Matthew McConaughey gave one of his best performances as a football coach trying to rebuild his team after losing several players in a plane crash.

One of my fav movie and great performance all-around

Professor Terguson, Back to School

Some may question the high placement of this teacher on the list since he only had one scene, but the late Sam Kinison had me on the floor as a history professor who hasn't quite gotten over the PTSD from his time in Vietnam.

Erica Stone, Teacher's Pet

Doris Day was wonderful as a journalism teacher who is butting heads with a new student (Clark Gable) who is actually a big city newspaper editor.

Molly McGrath, Wildcats

Sometimes I think I'm the only person on the planet who saw this movie, but I still love it. Goldie Hawn had one of her best roles as a high school girls track coach who gets the chance to coach the varsity football team, a lifelong dream inspired by her father, also a football coach.

Molly McGrath, Wildcats

Sometimes I think I'm the only person on the planet who saw this movie
Nope. I used to own it. I liked it, but it wasn't great enough to keep watching, I felt.

Erica Stone, Teacher's Pet

Doris Day was wonderful as a journalism teacher who is butting heads with a new student (Clark Gable) who is actually a big city newspaper editor.
Wonderful movie, I enjoyed it even more than I would have thought. Who knew Clark Gable could do comedy so well?

Nora McFee, Max Dugan Returns

This severely underrated Neil Simon comedy starred Marsha Mason as Nora, an English teacher who is thrown by the return of her shady dad (Jason Robards) who shows up at her house in the middle of the night with a briefcase filled with $687,000 and the news that he's dying and wants to spend what time he has left spending the money (which isn't his) on his daughter and grandson (Matthew Broderick in his film debut).

Professor Ned Brainerd, The Absent Minded Professor

Fred MacMurray was delightful as a brainy college professor who invents a specialized rubber substance which came to be known as "flubber" that helps his school's basketball team but also encounters a gangster (Keenan Wynn) who wants to get his hands on it.

Howard Brackett, In & Out

Kevin Kline turned in one of his best performances as a small town history teacher who sits down to watch the Oscars one year because a former student named Cameron (Matt Dillon) is nominated for Best Actor. When Cameron wins, he thanks Howard in his acceptance speech for inspiring him because he's gay. The thing is, Howard is not gay but Cameron's announcement didn't surprise anyone at school or in town, except for his confused fiancee (Joan Cusack).

Eugene Simonet, Pay it Forward

Kevin Spacey plays a disfigured teacher whose relationship with a special student (Haley Joel Osment) leads him into a relationship with his divorced mother (Helen Hunt).

Mr. Jonas from "How Green Was My Valley"

Truly enjoyable scene when Dai Bando teaches Mr. Jonas the principles of boxing.

Theresa Dunn, Looking for Mr. Goodbar

Say what you want about her life after 5:00 pm. but Theresa Dunn was a teacher of hearing impaired students and was terrific at her job.

Marian Paroo, The Music Man

Oscar winner Shirley Jones played a librarian and piano teacher who makes it her mission to reveal music "professor" Harold Hill (Robert Preston) for the fraud that he is, but ends up falling in love with him instead.

Charles W. Kingsfield, Jr., The Paper Chasae

After several years as one of the country's most renowned acting teachers, John Houseman was given his first movie role at the age of 80 and won a Best Supporting Actor Oscar in the process for his portrayal of Harvard Law school professor who butts heads with one of his most maddening students (Timothy Bottoms).

Jaime Escalente, Stand and Deliver

Edward James Olmos got the role of his career and an Oscar nomination playing an inner city high school teacher inspiring his near dropout students to experience the joys of calculus.