Westworld

Tools    

I found the original 1973 Yul Brynner WESTWORLD movie on OnDemand last night and watched it. (Not a long movie, so it wasn't a big time commitment.) Crichton had a great concept that, I think, was poorly fleshed out in spots. Richard Benjamin is a terrible actor in this thing, and James Brolin was decent but neither one of them had any sort of real backstory to make me even care what happened to them. (I cared a lot more what happened to Dick Van Patten, and I'm not sure they ever actually told us.)

Anyway, I found the behind-the-scenes bits about the robots and the park a lot more interesting, except I kept laughing at the shots of various computer consoles in the control room. Half of them were solid computer DOS-type text, which was fine, but the other half were just geometric swirls of 3-D triangles or squares floating around the monitor. I couldn't tell if they were screensavers or just filler that the production staff thought would look high-tech and futuristic.

Brynner gave the only worthwhile performance in the movie, and I think the entire concept gets wasted because it just heads directly where you think it's going to head in the beginning, then trickles its way there at the tail end by slowing the action down to many, many minutes of an odd "chase scene" between Brynner and one of the main characters.

The good news is that I didn't learn a darn thing that would help me decipher where they might be headed in the new series. Ha!
i havent but^^

The Adventure Starts Here!
Don't get me wrong. I'm glad I watched it. I just was expecting something a little less ... obvious, plot-wise. Perhaps we live in an age where all suspenseful movies must have a big twist at the end. This one didn't. It was still fascinating to see the premise worked out, and Yul Brynner was marvelous (and very creepy).

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
Does anyone think there is anything to the hat choosing? Is this an identifier in the park that determines how it interacts with you? Does it influence the wearer in some way? What if I choose the blackhat because it complements my outfit better?

I think MonnoM nailed the MIB. No way he is human and I can see that rationale making sense.

WARNING: spoilers below
I think the little girl telling him that the maze is not for him, seals the deal. The maze could be the ultimate endgame for those repeat Westworld "human" customers. If there is a map under the scalps, you would have to imagine some sicko would have found one before.

Apparently, Teddy is Westworld's version of Kenny.

I thought of the hat choosing as the obvious good guy vs bad guys. there were guys there who were there to rob etc and they wore black.
and the others who were there just to see and experience that world wore a white hat

Does anyone think there is anything to the hat choosing? Is this an identifier in the park that determines how it interacts with you? Does it influence the wearer in some way? What if I choose the blackhat because it complements my outfit better?
My guess is it's just symbolic in the narrative, rather than tied to anything logistical.

The Adventure Starts Here!
If the MIB isn't human, though, why would the behind-the-scenes staff say he's allowed to do whatever he wants? Well, one of them did, anyway. Another staff member didn't recognize him at all. So if he's human, he's getting special preferences for some reason we don't know yet (something to do with his past associations with Ford?). If he's not human, and he's been around for the whole 30 years (he tells Dolores he's been coming there for 30 years), why is he allowed to wreak havoc?

If he's an original host (and that certainly would tie in with the name of the first episode -- which we all thought meant Dolores, right?) ... then perhaps he's a bigger experiment in that he *knows* what the hosts are and yet doesn't know it about himself. It just seems dangerous to let him loose in the park with humans if he's an experimental host of any sort.

Then again, he *does* dress a lot like Yul Brynner in the original movie.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
My scientific reasoning is based on Yule Brenner's character in a movie I didn't see . I just can't see having the character that is the symbol of the original movie and him not being an automaton.

WARNING: spoilers below
I think he paid in a "pound of flesh" type way. Maybe the originals were too human and therefore suffered exponentially. His tribulations may have resulted in how he is allowed to behave now. I think they are overly showing him to have the human "guest" characteristics to throw us off the trail.

Scenario posible:

He cornered the creator or someone and threatened them into giving him a key (broad term) to his code or something. He was given immunity in the park, yet somehow trapped inside. This is where the maze comes in, by allowing him a means of escape.

My scientific reasoning is based on Yule Brenner's character in a movie I didn't see . I just can't see having the character that is the symbol of the original movie and him not being an automaton.
This is the kind of subtle turnabout creators of remakes or homages love to do, though.

I'm not really sure either way, though. They've actually done a good job of giving us just enough to be interested, but not nearly enough to make much of a guess. He could be trying to break the park because he's a bored human, or because he was specifically hired to do, or because he as an android programmed to do so. It could be that the's a human that Hopkins hopes finds the "next level" of the game, or that he's an android and Hopkins is deliberately hoping some of his creations break out of their world somehow. There are tons of explanations that fit with what little we've seen so far, though I expect these to get whittled down in a hurry in just the next 2-3 episodes.

I'm particularly tickled by the idea of the "maze" being a way for androids to demonstrate self-awareness, at which point Hopkins basically lets them leave to go live in the world. Like most theories it's unlikely on its own, but I like thinking about that one.

Dolores is one of the oldest aswell though,even though shes not the original.
from the first episde i thought maybe they had been human before they were made into androids.
i thought maybe darkhat came back for Dolores because they had some sort of a love affair before she chose james marsden over him (years ago obviously) he did seem to have a particular dislike for him.

i cant wait for the show to get going properly,i like it alot already but im assuming the repetiveness is just for these few first episodes,esp now that they are coming to their own.

I'm particularly tickled by the idea of the "maze" being a way for androids to demonstrate self-awareness, at which point Hopkins basically lets them leave to go live in the world. Like most theories it's unlikely on its own, but I like thinking about that one.
but he said hes "been coming here for 30 years",doesnt that more than imply that hes in the real/or any other / world normally and only comes back for visits?

Yeah, that paragraph wasn't about the Man in Black; just the idea of the maze in general. It's possible he's stumbled on to something not meant for him. I wouldn't bet on that, but I'm enumerating the possibilities to demonstrate how little they've actually ruled out so far.

That said, if he is a host, nothing he says is necessarily true. All the hosts say things they think are true, but aren't.

thats very true,i hadnt put into consideration that the things he says might not be real!

im very curious as to why they let him do as he wants though,he is basically ruining their creations with the scalping and all,since they see everything that goes on there they surely know about it.

Yeah, that "he gets to do whatever he wants" thing made me wonder if he was actually specifically made (or specifically told) to try to break things. Like a Quality Assurance operator. And if he is a host, he may not even be aware; he may be programmed to find "games" when the real purpose is just to test the park's failure states.

One other thing that aligns with this is the fact that the 30 years he's been going there (or so he says) corresponds to the 30 years since that incident they've referred to. He may have been a response to that.

yeah i thought about that 30 year thing aswell.
Another things ive noticed,if i remember correctly,is that hes always alone with them/the androids. Theres never any other guests around (like the main town where theres lots of people)

Yeah, that could be a big deal. After the first episode I briefly wondered if that actually meant it was happening in a completely different time period! I don't think so, but like so many of these possibilities, it was fun to entertain, even if it was contradicted in the very next episode.