Westworld

Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds

Consider me a fan already.

I loved the production values, the music, the acting, the pacing, the story is intriguing so far. I hope this is a hit for HBO because once GOT is gone, they are left with just comedies to be honest.

I've always been a fan of James Marsden, glad to see him get something that could be big.

Suspect's Reviews

A system of cells interlinked
So good!

Old West replicants...lots of potential here.

Looking for ward to next week.

Will watch it tomorrow. With the Sci-Fi Countdown next i hope this gets me in the mood to watch some of them.

Love HBO, and really don't care about GOT even though it can be good at times so i hope this is something great from them.

Welcome to the human race...
This looks like one of those shows where I can't really see it lasting longer than a single season in terms of narrative, but we'll see. In any case, I like it so far.

A system of cells interlinked
This looks like one of those shows where I can't really see it lasting longer than a single season in terms of narrative, but we'll see. In any case, I like it so far.
Interesting point. I know there is plenty to explore as far as subtext, but I am hoping they don't go the obvious route here with the narrative, suddenly revealing that some of the staff are actually hosts etc.

Great first episode. Lots of big themes to play with. Half way through the episode I formulated some guesses about where some of this is headed, like:

WARNING: "Westworld (maybe)" spoilers below
1. Anthony Hopkins is doing this deliberately.

2. He's probably doing it because humanity is stagnant (hence his discussion with Jeffrey Wright).

3. Dolores is based on someone from his past. Someone he loved, or someone he lost, or both. EDIT: this episode was called "The Original" which certainly suggests she's particularly important, too.

I thought this too, but I read something from Nolan about them making sure they had a big, long-term arc that could span a number of seasons. I dunno if it'll be good, but it sounds like they've got a destination in mind, at least. I thought that little scene where the security lady and the storyteller guy (I'll get their names down in the coming weeks, I'm sure) talked about the interests of the corporation was actually good foundational work for one of the way the story could change and expand down the line.

Oh, and did anyone else notice the player piano playing "Black Hole Sun"? Dunno if it's just supposed to be a fun little easter egg, or if it has something to do with the android-like people in the music video:

I thought this too, but I read something from Nolan about them making sure they had a big, long-term arc that could span a number of seasons. I dunno if it'll be good, but it sounds like they've got a destination in mind, at least. I thought that little scene where the security lady and the storyteller guy (I'll get their names down in the coming weeks, I'm sure) talked about the interests of the corporation was actually good foundational work for one of the way the story could change and expand down the line.
Reportedly they have FIVE seasons worth of story mapped out, including building to a specific conclusion. Obviously details will be added and subtracted along the way if it actually runs five seasons, but encouraging to know they have ideas, intent, and are building toward something instead of just building for building sake and maybe it will become cohesive and maybe not.

I thought the first episode was excellent. I like the original film, but it is terribly dated and the ideas presented there fairly limited, though they were also ahead of their time in 1973. "Westworld" the series, one episode in, has already expanded the basic concept of the film. In genre terms, besides being more overtly philosophical, the horror elements already obvious in this introduction are adding such a level of dread and even jeopardy to the deaths of what we understand from the initial concept are robots. I already fear for the safety and fates of the characters who have been identified as the hosts. Yes the series is going to examine the blurred line between human and android that other films have done before, including prominently Blade Runner and the recent Ex Machina, but the gore is translating as pain for me, even for beings that technically don't feel physical pain the way a human does. It is definitely highlighting how inhumane it is to treat any being this way, android or not.

Really looking forward to enjoying how it develops.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Love the fillum and looking forward to picking up all five seasons (assuming they are all made) on dvd and watching it in about seven or eight years time a bit like Breaking Bad which we just watched S01E03 of

#neverknowinglyuptodate

Oh, and did anyone else notice the player piano playing "Black Hole Sun"? Dunno if it's just supposed to be a fun little easter egg, or if it has something to do with the android-like people in the music video
Yup, time period suitable cover versions of the anachronistic "Black Hole Sun" and "Paint it Black" were used in the first episode, and I thought quite effectively. Besides being fun, in the context of the amusement park I could see the curators using them because while the world is filled with period detail, or at least a movie fantasy version of detail, it's not as if the guests don't know intellectually it is all an artifice. Having a Nike swoosh on the saddle would be too much or a modern gun instead of a six shooter, but as for what music the player piano spits out, why not have fun with it?

As for what the songs mean thematically, we shall see, but as the fabric of the first episode, I loved them.

Watched the first episode. Very promising! I hope they'll do something interesting besides the inevitable old "machines rebel against humans" plot too, though. I'll definitely keep watching this for a while.

Michael Wincott's small role was great. Not sure if he did the animatronic movements or if he had some computer help but it was really cool to see early incarnations.

Also Louis Herthum acting opposite Hopkins was a real highlight for me.

Michael Wincott's small role was great. Not sure if he did the animatronic movements or if he had some computer help but it was really cool to see early incarnations.

Also Louis Herthum acting opposite Hopkins was a real highlight for me.
It was with the aid of the VFX team. Still impressive.

Now this reminds me of the good old days of HBO. When they took more chances and were all about innovation. As far as the show goes, it's absolutely amazing and we're just one episode in. The writing is top-notch and everyone was perfect in their role. I really like what they did with the special effects, especially in the movements when the hosts malfunctioned. It not only looked authentic but also very unnerving. Great stuff.

Watched the first episode. Very promising! I hope they'll do something interesting besides the inevitable old "machines rebel against humans" plot too, though. I'll definitely keep watching this for a while.
I think there's a lot more to it than that. I also think that The Man in Black will play a major role in it. I have a theory brewing that leads me to believe he's not what we're meant to expect.

I think there's a lot more to it than that. I also think that The Man in Black will play a major role in it. I have a theory brewing that leads me to believe he's not what we're meant to expect.
I agree, but if the show would become overly focused on that aspect in the future, it may become less interesting after a while. That's all I'm saying. Nothing but positive words for the pilot, though.