Movie Poster a Day with JayDee

Tools    

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
February 21st

Going with a couple of record holders for today. Only two men have ever won consecutive acting awards in the Academy's history. The first was Spencer Tracy, and the second was Tom Hanks. Following his win for Philadelphia, Hanks made it back-to-back successes with Forrest Gump. Though Hanks' victory was far from the only accolade awarded to the film. In total it received 13 nominations, winning 6 of them. And this poster just makes me feel happy. There's just something very warm and comforting about it. And I think having Forrest's pearls of wisdom as the backdrop is very fitting given that the film is amongst the most quotable in history

Forrest Gump
(1994, d. Robert Zemeckis / Artist - Ladislas Chachignot)

As far as directors winning consecutive Oscars goes, there have been three men who have accomplished the feat. John Ford and Joseph L. Mankiewicz back in the 40s and 50s and then just recently, Alejandro G. Inarritu managed it with the combination of Birdman and The Revenant. As I've already featured a poster for Birdman I've decided on The Revenant, and in particular this poster. In addition to just being a great piece of illustrative work I think it also captures the mood and feel of the film quite well. It just feels very harsh, gritty and grimy

The Revenant
(2015, d. Alejandro G. Iñárritu / Artist - Ignacio RC)

February 22nd

Back with the first poster of this Oscar theme I talked about the Big Five winners in the Academy's history; films to have taken home the prizes for Best Picture, Director, Actor, Actress and Screenplay. Well one of the only three films to have accomplished the feat is Milos Forman's One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. And once again it's off to Poland for this vivid, impressionistic work. It would appear this poor fellow's head isn't screwed on quite right

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
(1975, d. Milos Forman / Poster Origin - Poland / Artist - Leszek Zebrowski)

And secondly, a film that came up just short of joining the exclusive Big Five club. Many people had expected the 50th Academy Awards to be dominated by Star Wars. While George Lucas' film swept the technical categories it was actually Woody Allen's Annie Hall that snuck on and grabbed up most of the major awards. It completed four legs of the Big Five but Woody Allen was pipped to the Best Actor prize by Richard Dreyfuss.

Annie Hall
(1977, d. Woody Allen / Artist - Drew Millward)

Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring
(2001, d. Peter Jackson / Artist - Juan Esteban Rodriguez)
Just finished catching up on the last few pages of this thread. This is without a doubt my favourite so far.

Great stuff as usual.

February 23rd

The battle for the Best Picture prize at the 49th Academy Awards has to have been one of the toughest and tightest contests ever, and one that still inspires debate and arguements amongst film fans to this day. Of the five nominated films, four still have a big reputation and a large following. All the President's Men, Network and Taxi Driver were all nominated but were eventually beaten by the plucky underdog that was Rocky. The fifth film in the category was Hal Ashby's Bound for Glory which certainly by comparison seems to have been all but forgotten.

Rocky
(1976, d. John G. Avildsen / Artist - Grzegorz Domaradzki (aka Gabz)

And today's second poster has been chosen just because it made me laugh the first time I saw it. Following its Palme d'Or win at the 1979 Cannes Film Festival, The Tin Drum went on to win the Best Foreign Language Film Oscar at the 52nd Academy Awards

The Tin Drum
(1979, d. Volker Schlörndorff / Poster Origin - France / Artist - Roland Topor)

February 24th

The 55th Academy Awards were dominated by Richard Attenborough's epic biopic, Gandhi. It picked up both the most nominations (11) and the most wins (8). To represent the film? Yes that's right, it's Poland again! I think this design works really well but I'm not sure I can quite articulate why. I think the unusual design of Gandhi himself gives the character an ethereal, spiritual, transcendent vibe; which feels quite fitting for the man and how he was seen/thought of. Well it's either that or he's in the middle of being beamed up to the Enterprise by Scotty!

Gandhi

(1982, d. Richard Attenborough / Poster Origin - Poland / Artist - Maciej Woltman)

Several years previously at the 51st Academy Awards it had been a big face-off between The Deer Hunter and Heaven Can Wait with both films receiving 9 nominations. The big winner on the night was The Deer Hunter which scooped 5 awards while Heaven Can Wait only managed to scrape a single win in the Best Art Direction category

The Deer Hunter
(1978, d. Michael Cimino / Artist - La Boca)

February 25th

Another couple of posters for this year's nominees. First up it's the feel-good pick of the Best Picture nominees, Hidden Figures. I wasn't a fan of the film itself but this is a rather lovely little poster I think

Hidden Figures
(2016, d. Theodore Melfi / Artist - Rich Davies)

And poster no.2 of the day is for Denis Villeneuve's sci-fi flick, Arrival, which has accumulated 8 nominations at this year's Oscars. Now I wouldn't have this poster up on my wall or anything, it's not exactly easy on the eyes. However I think there is something about it that captures the mood of the film. When I watched the film I personally found it to have quite a quiet, tranquil tone. There was something strangely peaceful about it. And I think the minimalism of this poster works towards that.

Arrival
(2016. d. Denis Villeneuve / Artist - Kevin Tong)

February 26th

Well it's the Oscars tonight so I thought I'd just chuck a bunch of posters at all of you, perhaps dispensing with the intros somewhat. The big winner tonight seems set to be La La Land so here's another poster for that.

La La Land
(2016, d. Damien Chazelle / Artist - Lisa Shumskaya)

In the Best Animated Feature category it's Zootopia that is the favourite to triumph later on tonight

Zootopia
(2016, d. Byron Howard & Rich Moore / Artist - Joe Dunn)

I've been pleased with the response to some of the old posters I've featured during this Oscar-themed run. As I've always tried to do with this thread I like to try and bring a sense of variety but I wasn't sure whether people would warm to the original posters from the 30s, 40s, 50s etc. As people seem to have done so however here's another one. And again it's Roger Soubie with this dynamic, action-packed poster for Ben Hur. At the 32nd Academy Awards it was nominated for 12 awards and won an unprecedented 11 Oscars. All these years later it is still the record holder for the most Oscars, though it is now tied with Titanic and Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

Ben Hur
(1959, d. William Wyler / Poster Origin - France / Artist - Roger Soubie)

One of the great Oscar success stories was that of Matt Damon and Ben Affleck bursting onto the scene as two young kids who picked up the screeplay award for Good Will Hunting. To represent it here's a warm and lovely detailed bit of illustration

Good Will Hunting
(1997, d. Gus Van Sant / Artist - Greg Ruth)

The Godfather may have grabbed the big prize of Best Picture at the 45th Academy Awards but in terms of the number of wins it was actually Cabaret that came out the big winner. Both received 10 nominations, and while The Godfather only came away with 3 statues, Cabaret went home with 8. Now I had to include a bit of Eastern European weirdness in this post. For once however it's not Poland we're off to but Hungary for this wonderfully demented piece. I love how the two bent-over ladies form the eyebrows and nose. I don't know why they're doing it but I love it.

Cabaret
(1972, d. Bob Fosse / Poster Origin - Hungary / Artist - Gyorgy Kemeny)

February 27th

Well I thought today I'd just throw out another batch of Oscar-related posters, this time to honour some of last night's winners. There's not a huge amount of material out there to choose from. As such I've ended up with 3 posters from just one artist. I hadn't even realised until I went to get the information.

Anyway, we of course we start with the film that scooped the Best Picture award. That's right ladies and gentlemen, it's La La L-- wait, what? Moonlight? Really? Well that's just embarassing isn't it?

La La Land

(2016, d. Damien Chazelle / Artist - Edgar Ascensao)

As for the actual Best Picture winner, there's not a great deal of material actually out there. Like, almost nothing. Of the meagre offerings this poster is at least interesting as a piece of art.

Moonlight
(2016, d. Barry Jenkins / Artist - Edgar Ascensao)

The Best Visual Effects award went to The Jungle Book as it beat out the competition that included Doctor Strange and Star Wars - Rogue One.

The Jungle Book
(2016, d. Jon Favreau / Artist - Vincent Aseo)

It may not have featured when it came to the major awards but Hacksaw Ridge was able to come away with two little bald fellas for Best Sound Mixing and Best Film Editing. This poster acts very much as a visul representative for this quote from the film - "While everybody else is taking life, I'm going to be saving it. With the world so set on tearing itself apart, it doesn't seem like such a bad thing to me to wanna put a little bit of it back together."

Hacksaw Ridge

(2016, d. Mel Gibson / Artist - Edgar Ascensao)

And lastly, just for our esteemed President, the great and all-powerful Miss Vicky, a poster for the winner of the Best Animated Short Film - Piper. Done in the style of a biological illustration you might find in an encyclopedia or birdwatching manual I think it's a rather clever little design. Some nice little details hidden in there as well such as it's date of release, the fact that it's the 18th (XVIII) original short they've made and the location of Pixar's headquarters (Emeryville, CA).

Piper
(2016, d. Alan Barillaro)

February 28th

As there's only one day left in the month I'm just going to stick with the Oscar-themed posters before moving on to something new. I'm pressed for time so will largely dispense with introductions today

Blood and picket fences; a perfect summation of the suburbia featured in American Beauty. It was the winner of 5 awards inlcuding Best Picture at the 72nd Academy Awards

American Beauty
(1999, d. Sam Mendes / Artist - Matt Ryan Tobin)

The recipient of 12 nominations and 4 awards at the 83rd Academy Awards - The King's Speech. A very cool, funky design.

The King's Speech
(2010, d. Tom Hooper / Artist - Miklós Felvidéki)

Winner of Best Foreign Language Film at the 36th Academy Awards - 8 1/2

8 1/2

(1963, d. Federico Fellini / Artist - Olivier Bonhomme)

And lastly it's this lovely, vibrantly coloured poster for the toast of the 34th Academy Awards - West Side Story. From 11 nominations it picked up an impressive 10 wins.

West Side Story

(1961, d. Robert Wise & Jerome Robbins / Poster Origin - Germany / Artist - Kurt Degen)

March 1st

A new month brings a new theme. I shall be partnering (unofficially) with the current Sci-Fi movie countdown to provide posters for the films that have made the list. Not all the films though as not everything has a poster worth showing. So I'm just going to see how it goes.

The first poster is for the film that placed at #100 - Rian Johnson's Looper. A fairly simple but clever design that will work especially well if you've actually seen the film

Looper

(2012, d. Rian Johnson / Artist - Steve Reeves)

And even though I said not every film from the list will feature, the second poster for today is the next film from the list - Dune.

Dune
(1984, d. David Lynch / Artist - Killian Eng)

March 2nd

98th spot on the sci-fi list went to Pixar's The Incredibles. This poster is very much aiming to capture the melancholy, looking-back tone of the film's opening act. The print is even titled "Glory Days". An incredible amount of detail in this one.

The Incredibles
(2004, d. Brad Bird / Artist - Kevin M Wilson)

Then at #96 it was Dredd. Nothing particularly clever or deep about this design. It's just a straight-up bad ass poster for a bad ass movie

Dredd
(2012, d. Pete Travis / Artist - Grzegorz Domaradzki aka Gabz)

I was actually hoping that you would do a sci-fi theme next. Is there a place for some Starship Troopers posters perhaps? Original is cool, but hopefully, you can dig up some lesser known ones, but better.

I actually have this thread bookmarked on both my work and personal computers, so please don't ever stop.

Here's a scene from the actual movie.
Thanks for posting that Mark. It's interesting to compare them and see the pick & choose process he's gone through and also how he's changed the placing of items to serve his own compisition.

Seeing as it's a favourite film of both yourself and Miss Vicky (two of the thread;s most loyal followers) here's a couple of bonus posters for The Incredibles. Don't say I'm not good to you!

While the one I eventually chose is more about a fantastic bit of art these two are more about the concept. This first one just made me smile when I first saw it. Just a fun, sweet idea that really captures the idea of it being a family affair. I'd like to see this idea expanded upon perhaps. Have like a fridge take up the entire poster and have the drawing up on it, perhaps alongside some magnets and a shopping list just to really sell the idea of them being a normal family, in addition to being an extraordinary family

The Incredibles
(2004, d. Brad Bird / Artist - Dr. Mierzwiak)

And then this one really takes superhero element and makes the poster resemble an old, retro comic book cover. Bonus points for anyone that noticed the issues number (6) and realised that it corresponded to the film being the 6th that Pixar released

The Incredibles
(2004, d. Brad Bird / Artist - Tim Anderson)