They SHOULD be Household Names...

Tools    

Interesting list waiting for next instalment

I have to confess that Remo Williams is one of the few Fred Wards films I have never seen.
He had decent parts in The Right Stuff and Miami Blues.

I think he's a household face, but not a household name. I wouldn't say he's a household face for anyone under 30, either.

Yes, but probably more so these days for those "Rosland Capital" investing in gold commercials!
William Devane is a popular actor, but he is not a household name...as I explained in my opening post, Elizabeth Taylor, Eddie Murphy, Tom Hanks, etc., are household names, people who EVERYONE has at least heard of. I'm pretty sure the average guy on the street would not be able to tell you who William Devane is.

Sam Elliott

This tall sexy drink of water with a speaking voice that rivals Jams Earl Jones was first noticed in a forgettable 1976 melodrama called Lifeguard, but eventually developed a career that would tag him as the quintessential western hero. His impressive resume includes the TV mini-series Once an Eagle, Aspen, and The Sacketts. His theatrical film credits include Mask, Fatal Beauty, Road House, Rush, Gettysburg, Tombstone, The Contender, Thank you for Smoking, and, of course, The Big Lebowski. Elliott is one of the hardest working men in Hollywood and does it without a lot of self-induced fanfare.

Jean Smart

Don't let her role as the bubble-headed Charlene Frazier on CBS' Designing Women fool you...this is an actress of substance and depth who is a lot more versatile than most people realize. She created a completely different character from Charlene when she played Christina Applegate's mother on ABC's Samantha Who? and has had recurring roles on 24, Harry's Law, and Fargo. She's also appeared in a plethora of TV movies that prove the actress is not a one-trick-pony.

Michael Chiklis

Whether he's playing the title role on The Commish, John Belushi in the biopic Wired, Vic Mackey on FX's The Shield, a superhero on A Different Kind of Family or Ben "The Thing" in the Fantastic Four franchise, this is an actor who ALWAYS delivers the goods.

Megan Mullally

Megan Mullally's creation of one of television's funniest characters ever, Karen Walker aka Anastasia Beaverhausen on Will & Grace earned her a place on this list. I have been baffled why she hasn't really returned to prime time TV since the demise of Will & Grace, with the exception of a recurring role on Parks and Recreation with husband Nick Offerman (Ron Swanson), because the woman is a brilliant and funny actress who I miss seeing on my television screen every week.

Jonathan Banks

This actor has a long and impressive resume, but to me, he will always be the soft-spoken hit man who comes to Detroit to murder Eddie Murphy's best friend (James Russo) in Beverly Hills Cop.

Barry Miller

This talented actor appeared as a friend of John Travolta's Tony Manero in Saturday Night Fever and the tragic would be stand-up Ralph Garcy in 1980's Fame. He also played a schoolmate of Kathleen Turner's in Peggy Sue Got Married as well as a host of television appearances. This man is such a talented actor who has never gotten the props he deserves.

Sam Elliott really annoyed me in Justified, i agree he has a great voice and i usually like him but he went a bit overboard there imo. Chiklis is fantastic of course. I've seen a few episodes of Will & Grace but i wasn't a fan so i didn't develop an opinion on any of the characters/actors. I know Mullally from Parks and Rec and i wasn't a fan of her character, i preferred Ron coming out of his shell bit by bit especially with Leslie than all of that horrible "Ron gets dreads"/ "Evil ex-wifes" stuff.

Cynthia Nixon

This actress is a lot more than Miranda Hobbes, a role which won her an Emmy, as did a guest appearance on Law & Order: Special Victims Unit and was also nominated for an Emmy for her performance as Eleanor Roosevelt in the HBO movie Warm Springs...an actress of depth who knows how to command the screen when given the opportunity. Watch her work during the final season of Sex and the City when Miranda is the only one who will tell Carrie (Sarah Jessica Parker) that she's making a mistake by moving to Paris with "the Russian" (Mikhail Barysnikov).

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

Sam Elliott

This tall sexy drink of water with a speaking voice that rivals Jams Earl Jones was first noticed in a forgettable 1976 melodrama called Lifeguard, but eventually developed a career that would tag him as the quintessential western hero. His impressive resume includes the TV mini-series Once an Eagle, Aspen, and The Sacketts. His theatrical film credits include Mask, Fatal Beauty, Road House, Rush, Gettysburg, Tombstone, The Contender, Thank you for Smoking, and, of course, The Big Lebowski. Elliott is one of the hardest working men in Hollywood and does it without a lot of self-induced fanfare.
I must live in a different household than everyone else because I thought that Sam Elliott was a household name too.

Michael Chiklis

Whether he's playing the title role on The Commish, John Belushi in the biopic Wired, Vic Mackey on FX's The Shield, a superhero on A Different Kind of Family or Ben "The Thing" in the Fantastic Four franchise, this is an actor who ALWAYS delivers the goods.
The name of Michael Chiklis' superhero show was "No Ordinary Family", not "A Different Kind of Family", and it was a great show. It's a shame that it was cancelled after only one season.

Cynthia Nixon

This actress is a lot more than Miranda Hobbes, a role which won her an Emmy, as did a guest appearance on Law & Order: Special Victims Unit and was also nominated for an Emmy for her performance as Eleanor Roosevelt in the HBO movie Warm Springs...an actress of depth who knows how to command the screen when given the opportunity. Watch her work during the final season of Sex and the City when Miranda is the only one who will tell Carrie (Sarah Jessica Parker) that she's making a mistake by moving to Paris with "the Russian" (Mikhail Barysnikov).
I remember Cynthia Nixon from when she played Sunshine in the movie Little Darlings. I had no idea that she was still acting.

Sam Elliott has been working in the business since the 1970's but I'm pretty sure the average guy on the street doesn't know who he is...and thank you for correcting about the name of No Ordinary Family...maybe the fact that it wasn't on the air very long made it hard for me to remember the title of the sitcom. And as for Cynthia Nixon, it sounds like you have a lot of catching up to do...a few things have gone on in Hollywood since Little Darlings...you might want to start by seeing if a box set is available somewhere for an HBO series called Sex and the City.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Sam Elliott has been working in the business since the 1970's but I'm pretty sure the average guy on the street doesn't know who he is...and thank you for correcting about the name of No Ordinary Family...maybe the fact that it wasn't on the air very long made it hard for me to remember the title of the sitcom. And as for Cynthia Nixon, it sounds like you have a lot of catching up to do...a few things have gone on in Hollywood since Little Darlings...you might want to start by seeing if a box set is available somewhere for an HBO series called Sex and the City.

I've heard of "Sex and the City", but I've never watched it. It just didn't seem like my kind of show.

Frances Fisher

My first exposure to this actress was almost 40 years ago when she was playing a detective named Deborah Saxon on the daytime drama Edge of Night. It didn't take her long to get a career in the movies started with appearances in Tough Guys Don't Dance, Patty Hearst, Pink Cadillac, Welcome Home Roxy Carmichael, Unforgiven, and LA Story. She received mixed reviews for her performance as Lucille Ball in the TV movie Lucy and Desi: Beyond the Laughter and gave an Oscar worthy performance as Kate Winslet's social climbing mother in Titanic. This actress has been in the business doing solid work long enough to deserve a place on this list.