Tom Cruise is the biggest Hollywood star of all time.

Tools    

Marlon Brando was a disaster in 1960's.All his movies flopped at the box office.They were loved by critics but did horribly business wise.

I ll stick to my opinion-Nobody was/is a bigger box office success than Tom Cruise.

20 movies of Tom Cruise have opened to number 1 at the box office.Beat That.
Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn.

Brad Pitt, Johnny Depp and Will Smith are in the same category with Tom Cruise (incredibly good-looking, great actors, celebrities, huge salaries), and I think they are better than Tom Cruise in almost everything. I haven't looked at their box offices, but their presence is stronger than his in movies. Although Cruise was great in The last samurai and Born on the Fourth of July too, I've never seen him do comedy and I think he brings out a little narcissism. Still, I've got to admit that he became successful despite his height.

Brad Pitt, Johnny Depp and Will Smith are in the same category with Tom Cruise (incredibly good-looking, great actors, celebrities, huge salaries), and I think they are better than Tom Cruise in almost everything. I haven't looked at their box offices, but their presence is stronger than his in movies. Although Cruise was great in The last samurai and Born on the Fourth of July too, I've never seen him do comedy and I think he brings out a little narcissism. Still, I've got to admit that he became successful despite his height.
Brad Pitt is more about hype.

Depp is a great actor and my personal favourite but he needs POTC as much as it needs him.

Will Smith-A box office draw.His career is too short and he rarely makes movies nowdays.
Has only around 12 hits in his career-5 of them came from Bad Boys & MIB.

OK, how about Leonardo DiCaprio?

I have been doing some research on movie stars

Compare Harrison Ford& Tom Cruise

Breakthrough role:
Ford-1977-Star Wars
Cruise-1983-Risky Business

Legitimate Superstar status:
Ford-Indiana Jones-1981
Cruise-Top Gun-1987

By 2000,Ford was no longer the top star while Cruise is still delivering.Ford has several flops

Let's be honest;Ford was just a supporting actor in Star Wars.Jack Sparrow was the star in POTC but Han Solo was a supporting actor in Star Wars.

-Tom Cruise has not had a single BOX OFFICE flop worldwide since Top Gun as a LEADING ACTOR.

-21 of his movies have opened to number 1 at the box office

Regarding DiCaprio,I am a huge fan of his but he is still young.He is the most underrated actor.

Tom Cruise??? you got to be kidding me here. Definitely Clint Eastwood or at least Russell Crowe, Tom Cruise, I like the guy but he is not the biggest. There are way more known faces than him.

Are you actually implying Eastwood or Crowe is a bigger box office star than Cruise?

I'm implying on Fame. More people have heard of The Good Bad & Ugly way more than any Tom Cruise film. Russell Crowe has won more awards and gained fame from Gladiator to other films. Tom Cruise is just a action star not an actor.

Fame?
In USA-Perhaps

I am not from USA.Worldwide,it's Tom easily.Mission Impossible is very famous

Acting skills-Tom is underrated.His performance in Born on Fourth of July was great but Crowe is a better actor

^No one touches him in terms of BO success

Look at his teeth, he can't be a star with them

We've gone on holiday by mistake
With an armless denim jacket... All that's missing is a checkered shirt and baseball cap...

If you've seen Legend, you'll spot his pre-surgery gnashers.
Wasn't that guy in "Deliverance"?

I think you are missing your own point. Hollywood Star is not just about making money. My definition would certainly include charisma of which Tom Cruise is certainly most lacking in. Do you really think most men would want to be him and he's the one most women dream about?
-As a box-office draw,Tom Cruise is unparalled since Top Gun.

-Lion for Lambs,Magnolia and Rock of Ages are his three flops since Top Gun.

-Tom wasn't the lead actor in any of those.

Of course he is! At least, he represents what most people in his era would call a star: a handsome face, huge box office successes, big salaries, and a fairly bad acting skill.

Semper Fooey
He is not one of my favorites, but he is not a bad actor.

I watched one of those Actors Studio interviews by James Lipton with Tom Cruise.

After watching the interview it's easy to see why Tom Cruise is known as 'the hardest working actor in Hollywood.' Of course it's impossible to know if that designation is accurate, but the man is certainly incredibly focused. He has a mind-boggling wok ethic. He's taken the combination of acting, production and marketing to a whole new level. He surrounds himself with a highly trusted team that includes at least one sister.

Maybe his focus stems from having to support his family at an early age? Maybe it also stems from Scientology, which has an active agenda to spread its word via mass media.

In the interview he came across as very personable and likable, with a great sense of humor.

Tom Cruise is an easy target and it's easy to diss him because of all the attention he gets and because he represents the big-budget Hollywood movie.

I fess us. Over the years - especially many years ago - I enjoyed lots of his performances and the movies he was in, e.g.

(I saw most of these in the movie theater when they first came out, and haven't seen most of them since)

Taps
All the Right Moves
Risky Business
Top Gun
Rain Man
Born on the Fourth of July
A Few Good Men
Magnolia
Jerry Maguire
Collateral
Minority Report
Tropic Thunder

The movie with Tom Cruise I like the most and which I've watched a few times is Eyes Wide Shut.

I guess a big reason I wouldn't classify Tom Cruise as a great actor is the same reason I wouldn't classify Arnold Schwarzenegger as a great actor. In many films, Tom Cruise seems to 'cruise' by simply by being Tom Cruise. He knows his audience wants to see Tom Cruise on the screen and that's what he delivers - the same hairstyle, the same voice, the same mannerisms. Of course there are exceptions, but it seems to be more the rule.

Contrast this with Meryl Streep. She is one of the most famous actresses on the planet, but I never find her the same. I always seem to forget I'm watching Meryl Streep. She becomes the character. The character doesn't become her.