Television Tab

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
Y'know when you're sitting down to your dinner and the TV remote is at the far end of the room? You just can't be bothered getting up to change the channel unless something really terrible comes on (like a Ricky Gervais stand-up show or the worst TV show in the history of the world UTV Life - consider yourselves lucky that you don't live where I do, dear MoFos), can you?

Yesterday, I was in a predicament - leave my dinner for a minute or sit eating with BBC1's stultifyingly banal The One Show beaming at me out of the corner of my eye? I chose the latter and am rather glad I did now - the special guest was none other than directorial genius Mike 'The General' Leigh!

First off, he really is a tiny wee man, Hobbit-like in fact. Secondly, he likes eating carp and thirdly, he's got a new film out.

That was all I could glean from half an hour in the company of what the BBC must describe as a 'topical early evening magazine-style show' (if not, they surely will now - their spies are everywhere!) and what I describe as 'a waste of two decent presenters' (I bet they'll not use that).

Incongruous. That's the word I'm looking for.

The only show I watch regularly these days is South Park. It's pretty consistently funny. I started watching them online now to avoid the commercials.

Used to watch the Simpsons but lost interest in 1999, after that Home Movies but I've seen all the episodes enough times now that it's lost a little of its appeal for me.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Movie Mob

South Park episode where Oprah Winfrey (sp?) promotes Towlie's book. This was probably the worst episode I've seen. A couple laughs but no clever satire or anything, just raunchy celebrity mocking. Okay, so maybe adjust my above post to "inconsistently very funny."

Colour out of Time
I will definitely NOT be watching Big Brother

and here I thought Australia had seen the last of this dross

Seasons 1 & 2 of The Wire (again).

Quite possibly the best cop show I've seen, even if you include the likes of Morse. Sherlock Holmes crossed with Charles Darwin...

Huge thanks go out to Sammie D for pointing me in its direction a few years ago.

I can't remember it being shown here at all, at least not on television stations unconnected to Murdoch (and I refuse to give that sh*tehawk a penny).

Seasons 1 & 2 of The Wire (again).

Quite possibly the best cop show I've seen, even if you include the likes of Morse. Sherlock Holmes crossed with Charles Darwin...

Huge thanks go out to Sammie D for pointing me in its direction a few years ago.
I'll be pretty interested to read what you think of The Shield if'n you ever get a chance to see it.

Vic Mackey, the evil whore cop with a heart of gold truly needs to be seen to be believed.

"Good cop and bad cop have left for the day. I'm a different kind of cop"

As corny as that sounds, it really encapsulates him as a man and a cop. A terrific show.

Beware The Probe!
Never seen The Wire but The Shield is the best cop show I've ever watched. Sadly, I hear the upcoming season will be the last.

We have season 4 being broadcast in Aus
... Idiot network screens it at 12.30am though
I've just read this on a cricket website and it sums things up perfectly (if reversed somewhat)...

One-day cricket is CSI; Test cricket is The Wire.

Welcome to the human race...
About this time last week I picked up Beavis and Butt-head: The Mike Judge Collection, Vol. 1 and that's been peppering my time for the last week or so. Currently debating as to when I'll get around to buying Volumes 2 and 3 (which are A$45 each at the last shop I checked - lucky I got Volume 1 for $30...)

Now if only they'd bring out Daria on DVD with the original soundtracks (unlikely, but I can dream).

Celluloid Temptation Facilitator
I've been watching seasons of 24. It's been quite amusing and so full of action.

I think I'm up to the last season now. I can't WAIT to see the throat tearing scene! Woo hoo!

I finally made it through to the end of the last season of The Soprano's. The last season was decent enough, I would have been fine if they stopped at the end of season 5 but whatever. I'm sure they got paid. I loved the ending though. I'm not sure what all the hub bub was about, Did you really expect some kind of closure or something? Tony Soprano was the anti-christ, what did you really think, he was going to get his comeuppance like in grade school or something?

I've been working my way through The Sopranos again slowly myself (about to start season 5) and probably not loving it as much as I did first time round. It's still mostly classic telly though but one thing began to irk me:

The writing was generally of high quality but badly let itself down when it came to the Soprano kids. They were just far too generic (although AJ's sheer stupidity raised a few smiles) for me.

A system of cells interlinked
Over this past week I took in Season 1 of Veronica Mars. Second time through the series...

Over this past week I took in Season 1 of Veronica Mars. Second time through the series...

Yeah, well it really doesn't count as "watching" a series when you pause the dvd at a scene with Kristen Bell fully framed in it and then strip down to your underwear and smear cold strawberry jello all over yourself whilst singing JoJo tunes....duh.