The issue of censorship

Tools    

privately owned website , thats some key words right there. Ive seen a lot of people, of all ages, that assume if they can join a forum or a website, its a free country and they can post what ever they want.

Most of those of course do as most people do, they dont bother to read the forum rules or guidelines. I think the assumption is, Im on my pc, so I can type what ever I want.

In those cases, I tell them to buy some server space, create there own forum, make there own rules and do as they wish.

You guys seem to do a great job here, anyone joining up under a different username after being banned is arguing that fact as soon as they re register.

www.panicattic.com - Check out the Q&A from Ethan Dettenmaier , director of Sin-Jin Smyth

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
Originally Posted by Adi Dasler
The issue of censorship

Before i undoubtedly get banned again i wanted to address the ever present issue of censorship. First of all i am still a little unclear whether i was banned for using profanity or for disclosing a way to avoid censorship. If it was for the first reason, then who ever banned me does not apply the same standards to everyone, if it was for the latter, then all i can say is power to the people! I realize my post could have been construed as an open invitation to a swear-fest, but i think the members of this site have enough common sense not to do so, my intent was that those who do use swear words and prefer to express themselves in that fashion can do so without being censored. I did nothing wrong and the ban was to say the least an exaggerated course of action. Now about the censorship. My opinion is that either the owner of this site or the moderators are either amish ,mormons or new born christians because for the life of me i can't understand why someone would be so uptight about swearing. I am going to assume we are all adults here and most if not all of us have used profanity at least once in our life time. So why the appalled attitude when i actually used it and made sure everyone could see what i said ( i don't know about you, but those little asterixes annoy the hell out of me ). I would say because the whole thing reeks of hypocrisy. But lets assume the owners or the moderators really are amish or prissy clean uptight republican characters ( although the mod who banned me seems like a liberal ( as she showed us explaining her views on homosexuality ) which makes her a contradiction in terms , to be a liberal and yet enforce censorship). What is it with the ( american ) society today that makes the law makers and creators of a social standard think they can impose their views of morality upon the rest of us? What is morally acceptable to one person is not necessarily acceptable to the other, but in a true democracy everyone should be allowed to express their opinion in which ever way the want to, that applies to racists ,bigots and other people. The examples of the hypocritical censorship in the american society are numerous, from beeping swear words from «offensive» songs and videos, to banning certain categories of people from seeing certain types of film because of the explicit scenes of sex and violence, but at the same time making it acceptable to expose people to scenes of criminals being chased by the police,people getting killed or committing suicide on the 5 o'clock news . Their intended purpose would undoubtedly be to create a uniform generation of faceless kids that thinks the way they want them to think . The other reason is to give out an impression of the american society being this role model for moral perfection, which we all know couldn't be further from the truth. Democracy? Freedom? Rethink those terms please or use them with caution. Cursing is a normal way of expressing yourself and i do it, you do it, let's face it , everyone does. It serves to express a certain emotion or to clarify it in ways no other words really can. The great James Joyce mentioned the nasty word twice in Ulysses and in the 1950's J.D.Salinger stirred up quite a controversy with «The catcher in the rye» and the mention of the phrase «fu.ck you». It was revolutionary. The society at the time was horrified and many were ready to burn the books on a bon fire like in naci germany or the middle ages. Now those book are widely considered to be classic works of literature. But that was over 50 years ago. We would like to think that we have evolved since then and that we have become a much more accepting,understanding, liberal society. But censorship still remains. Many accomplished and award winning contemporary authors use swearing, for example the wonderfully imaginative and brilliant Iain Banks ( the author of «The wasp factory») is no stranger to words like fu.ck or sh.it, not to mention godd.amn. And yet does that diminish the beauty of their works or their literary language and expression? I would think not, if anything it makes it even more beautiful and gives it a wonderful flare of reality. I would like to finish my little dissertation with a quote by Allen Walker Read : "Obscenity is an artificially created product and finds its strongest bulwark in those 'right-minded people' who preserve its sanctity by the hush in their own usage and by their training of the young.... When one refrains from using the stigmatized words, one is not ignoring the taboo but is actively abetting it."

Now please share your opinions, i will be reading them.....

maybe you were banned because you don't know how to make a few ****ing paragraphs...

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
Originally Posted by Adi Dasler
Cursing is a normal way of expressing yourself and i do it, you do it, let's face it , everyone does
and actually, that aint even true. my mother turned hardcore christian when she was in her mid twenties after being just the complete oppisite, potty-mouth city and all, and she isn't a christian anymore, but, the years she lived her life as one she didn't use profanity at all, and she still got her points across just fine. not everyone has to use profanity. i don't think theres anything wrong with people that do, im just saying, thats a pretty big assumption youre making there, buddy-boy.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Ah bless 'im. Adi(dasss) was a good lad. He was just a hot-blooded Croation boy who took too many swear-breaks from writing interesting reviews n'that. Heigh ho.

Fair points tho y'all.

Randomly visiting for now
Originally Posted by nyabzns
Most of those of course do as most people do, they dont bother to read the forum rules or guidelines. I think the assumption is, Im on my pc, so I can type what ever I want.
yeah I think maybe it's the sense of anonymity as well, coupled with the fact that there are limited consequences that a person on the net can even identify; bad rep on the board (not just the rep system), potential banning, hurting other user's feelings (sense of non-reality & fantasticism - hah made up words i think ) and just generally causing disruption and annoyance for everyone else.

ok yeah it's common sense to try to avoid causing harm but I think maybe some allowances need to be made in terms of how you interpret what people do on the net. (a) not take them too seriously(b) try to understand where they are coming from and (c) if you can see they are emotional then take that into account. This is of course not considering present circumstances with addidass but rather a more general view of people on the net. It is so hard to not bite when people bait you (& yes I have done so) but in real life you wouldn't give them the time of day. It just takes a little bit of self-control I reckon, as does all things in life....well that's something I've been working on for myself and it's made me a whole lot happier. (so theoretically it should translate to forum happiness in a perfect mofo world )

-Joel

I don't use a lot of naughty words. But there are times when I do and I sort of resent being unable to use them. Using an "acceptable" word removes a bit of honesty and spontaneity from the response.

Sacrificing a measure of freedom for order and security is nothing new.

Also, forums like this have rules and we agreed to abide by them. Sacrificing a small bit of linguistic freedom to participate on this forum is a deal I'm willing to make.
My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

Originally Posted by Golgot
Ah bless 'im. Adi(dasss) was a good lad. He was just a hot-blooded Croation boy who took too many swear-breaks from writing interesting reviews n'that. Heigh ho.

Fair points tho y'all.
thanks for the compliment about the reviews...( but i really wasn't swearing in every post you know )

first of all, i have to apologize for what i did with the swearing, this little thread was an attempt to raise the discussion to an abstract level, obviously a failed one. i'm a rational person and i fully understand that when i joined this site i agreed to adhere to the rules, one of them being not cursing. i guess i just got a little carried away, i'm on a music forum where i'm free to express myself in which every way i want, so i got a little careless.....it definetly won't happen again.lesson learned....

second thing i wan't to apologize is the fight with delilah. i've had quite a bit of time to think about it, and honest to god, it was the most rediculous thing ever, especially when you consider what we were fighting about in the first place. i don't know the woman and i'm sure she's a good person and all, as am i. the internet is such a strange medium, given it's impersonal character, people tend to act and say things out of character, things they wouldn't do or say in real life.

i'm a pretty laid back person in real life, not hot blooded at all ( as golgot put it ), which makes my internet behaviour even more rediculous. i think one of the mistakes i made with delilah is going into an argument with someone i know nothing about, the chances of the other party taking things the wrong way or getting upset about them are far greater.

i don't plan to get into any more arguments in the near future. i joined this forum to talk about movies, not to fight with strangers.

i didn't want to make this site uncomfotable for anyone, and i apologize for that too......hopefully we can put this matter behind us, and i can go back to talking about movies and writing reviews.....

what say you?

adidas

p.s. the paragraphs ok this time?

A system of cells interlinked
Even though Adi and I argued a lot, and got into it a couple of times, I still liked most of his input about film. I had just chalked it up to another one of those people I would agree to disagree with, and just concentrate on the other issues. From what I hear, the name calling etc. did get out of hand, but it appears he has been bothered by that and wishes to rectify the situation. I say give him a go at it...

there's a frog in my snake oil
Ay, i concur.

Not sure how SammyD will feel, but if Ad can steer clear of the pointless confrontations (your words my man ), then i'm sure all will be cool. Just don't try and win every argument eh Ad?

Arresting your development
So much for final words, eh?

Is this a welcome back thread or a...I was in the neighborhood thought I'd drop by... just visiting thread? If any please_please stay in the lines... Yoda is finding out that when he whips out his Light-Ban-Saber... the women go wild and throw panties at his robes. We all should take note and realise that around here, the squeaky wheel doesn't get the grease, it gets replaced.

Originally Posted by Anonymous Last
So much for final words, eh?

Is this a welcome back thread or a...I was in the neighborhood thought I'd drop by... just visiting thread? If any please_please stay in the lines... Yoda is finding out that when he whips out his Light-Ban-Saber... the women go wild and throw panties at his robes. We all should take note and realise that around here, the squeaky wheel doesn't get the grease, it gets replaced.
i apologise, i understood next to nothing of this post ( your metaphores elude me).
this is not a welcome back thread, this is "let's see if i'll come back" thread. i made the post only after speaking to yoda if that's what you're reffering to, otherwise i would have been re-re-re-banned by now.
my chosen username ( for the time being ) is indicative of my attitude, you don't have to worry about me trolling up the boards, i've stayed clear of them for 3 months and i only joined for an unrelated matter without the intention to post, yoda said that his offer still stands and i decided to take him up on it. the decision about me coming back is ultimately his. i feel that a 3 month absence was punishment enough, but should people on this site feel unhappy with my potential return, i will back down for good.....i figured it wouldn't hurt to try once more.

adidas

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
I for one was sad to see you go and welcome you back. You've got good taste.

I don't have a problem giving Adidasss a second chance… as long as he realizes he was not banned for just randomly using profanity once in a while… had that been the case, almost everyone on here would have been banned at one time or the other…

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Originally Posted by dontworry
i apologise, i understood next to nothing of this post ( your metaphores elude me).
That's quite fine...I get this a lot.

Originally Posted by dontworry
this is not a welcome back thread, this is "let's see if i'll come back" thread. i made the post only after speaking to yoda if that's what you're reffering to, otherwise i would have been re-re-re-banned by now.
I was only curious about all this. Posters come and posters go...

I think I tried to talk to you and reach your brain back in October/November about not fading yourself out. In other words I didn't want you to play yourself... but your hunger for conflict weighed more than my petty little pep talk could handle. If you're coming back... then that's cool welcome back. If you leave... then leave on a good note!

Personally, I liked and admired that you didn't take any mess from anyone cause sometimes you have to take that leap of faith and do what comes from the heart. Taking risks rewards the character at times...but truly you just have to learn and feel out your audience, duke. You’re smarter than that, you’re better than that and gosh darn it people like you.

Originally Posted by Caitlyn
I don't have a problem giving Adidasss a second chance… as long as he realizes he was not banned for just randomly using profanity once in a while… had that been the case, almost everyone on here would have been banned at one time or the other…
Not for nothing...but I felt guilty about this myself when Adidasss got banned. Because the Gods up above know very well that I walked that fine thin line and created tons of edit work for the mods to clean my posts up at times.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
... if Ad can steer clear of the pointless confrontations...,then i'm sure all will be cool.

Originally Posted by Anonymous Last
...Personally, I liked and admired that you didn't take any mess from anyone cause sometimes you have to take that leap of faith and do what comes from the heart.

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
I get that a lot also.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing

Fair points tho y'all.
Right... and Django was just a poor, misunderstood indian guy whose reasoning was too elusive for the understanding of your average mofo. It wasn't his fault you couldn't follow his reasoning - he tried at lengths matching your own to explain it to you, to no avail. Poor Django. Poor, poor fringe-dweller in a cold society.

In my book, it means a lot when someone stands up and apologizes, and if Django (of all people) got as many chances as he did, I can't find much basis to deny this request.

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
Right... and Django was just a poor, misunderstood indian guy whose reasoning was too elusive for the understanding of your average mofo. It wasn't his fault you couldn't follow his reasoning - he tried at lengths matching your own to explain it to you, to no avail. Poor Django. Poor, poor fringe-dweller in a cold society.
I knew Django, I argued with Django, I was threatened with litigation by Django, and adidass, in my opinion, is no Django.

The People's Republic of Clogher
I guess what Cindy's trying to say is that when someone gets abused or hurt by another poster, it sticks in the craw a bit when arms get opened as wide as this so soon after an entire thread was devoted to the removal of another ne'er do well.