Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Legend in my own mind
Ahh right. Thanks for that. I sent my bro an email to ask if the DoP is a friend of his. Stunning work.

eta sorry about that. I don't know how to multi quote.
It was a nice surprise of a film.

No worries.
Click on the cog of the top right of the message and select multi quote. When you get to the last quote just click quote. Hope that helps.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Get Out

(Jordan Peele)

White people be crazy, am I right?

Jordan Peele makes his directorial debut with this horror thriller. With Get Out, Peele takes his creative use of comedic timing and transfers that to horror. Both genres are all about timing, one tries to make you laugh, the other tries to make you scared. Get Out excels at both and I'd love to see what Peele does with the genre, should he stick to it.

Chris and Rose are going up to her parents place for the weekend. He's concerned that they are white privilege and he's just some black guy dating their daughter. She assures him that they are not racist and totally down to earth. When they arrive, something seems off. Dean, her father, tries to act cool and hip while her mother wants to hypnotize Chris into quitting smoking, a disgusting habit she hates. The only other two black people around are servants and don't seem all quite right.

This Guess Who's Coming To Dinner update spins the narrative around and takes the viewer on a wild ride where race is a comically and terrifying issue front and centre. Peele manages to craft a tight thriller where every little thing you hear characters say, might have different meanings later on. It's tightly written and well directed, it's no surprise this film is scoring high on rottentomatoes.

The cast works well together, blending casual terror into their performances. Whitford and Keener are the parents and if the film had one weak spot, I'd have to say it belongs to Keener. She seems uninterested in the role or maybe just bored. Whitford on the other hand seems to be having a lot of fun. The satire in the script is brought alive on screen from the cast.

You'll question what's really going on here and Peele reveals just enough at the right times. He manages to blend Night of the Living Dead, The Stepford Wives and numerous other films extremely well together. The explosive third act is tense and I wasn't ever really sure how it was going to end. Which is a rarity in films these days

Suspect's Reviews

I keep seeing people saying genuinely good things about Get Out, but I have a hard time believing it, because I died laughing at the supposedly serious elements of the trailer every time I saw it in theatres. Then again, the same thing happened with the trailer for Split, and that turned out to be much better than what I was expecting.

You can't win an argument just by being right!

I've only just seen the trailer. Looks good, but please don't tell me the tired old horror trope of the cute dog gets it is included. Actually, don't tell me either way.
Looking forward to seeing this.

Jackie

Honestly, I was expecting a bit more.

Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer

This one I've seen here on some threads and decided to see it and I liked it, short but intense.

Lion

It seemed a bit cliché but I actually enjoyed it. And the kid should be nominated instead of Dev Patel

A Woman Under the Influence

Where was this movie? Such a brilliant performance by Gena Rowlands, the authentic plot, characters and personal traits. One of my favorite that I've seen this year.

Jackie

Honestly, I was expecting a bit more.

Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer

This one I've seen here on some threads and decided to see it and I liked it, short but intense.

Lion

It seemed a bit cliché but I actually enjoyed it. And the kid should be nominated instead of Dev Patel

A Woman Under the Influence

Where was this movie? Such a brilliant performance by Gena Rowlands, the authentic plot, characters and personal traits. One of my favorite that I've seen this year.

Huge fan of Henry Portrait Of A Serial Killer I remember getting to watch this film when I was doing a Btec in Audio Visual in order to get the qualifications to qualify for studing for a B.A degree. Fell in love with the movie and had a big impact on me at the time. While I do not get scared of horror movies the demonstration of how easy it would be for someone with ill intent to just randomly kill you without you standing any chance was kind of shocking.

Huge fan of Henry Portrait Of A Serial Killer I remember getting to watch this film when I was doing a Btec in Audio Visual in order to get the qualifications to qualify for studing for a B.A degree. Fell in love with the movie and had a big impact on me at the time. While I do not get scared of horror movies the demonstration of how easy it would be for someone with ill intent to just randomly kill you without you standing any chance was kind of shocking.
Since I'm studying Psychology things like that don't shock me but that's precisely why I watched the movie, to see if it was another exagerated demonstration of a psychopath or a mental disorder but actually I think it portrayed very well, very simplistic and authentic.

The Wrestler (2008) - 10/10

How did Mickey Rourke NOT win an Oscar for this

Pulp Fiction (1994) - 10/10

Possibly the best written film of all time

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I've only just seen the trailer. Looks good, but please don't tell me the tired old horror trope of the cute dog gets it is included. Actually, don't tell me either way.
Looking forward to seeing this.
The dog is hardly in the film.

GET OUT

0/10

The message was of division and social segregation.

My Darling Clementine -
-

This was my fifth John Ford film; i loved Stagecoach and How Green Was My Valley, i had a mixed reaction to She Wore A Yellow Ribbon and i didn't like The Searchers, i'd like to see it again however. Wasn't aware going in that this was a Wyatt Earp film. I know a decent amount about Wyatt and how he was supposed to be so Henry Fonda was a little jarring in the role at first. I dunno he's just not intimidating enough for the picture i have of Wyatt, but he's such a good actor i quickly got over it. One thing i did love was the portrayal of Doc Holliday. Not necessarily his personality but the fact that he was just as if not more feared than Wyatt; from the majority of accounts i've read he had a bigger reputation than Wyatt and i don't like that he's often relegated to generic partner of Wyatt. The two of them worked really well together, loved the tension during their first meeting with the bar going completely silent; everyone holding their breath knowing that the two most dangerous men in this town could very well not get along then when it seems that they do the music starts playing, etc, basically the full atmosphere instantly returns to the bar. I'm not very familiar with Vitor Mature but i thought he did an excellent job, he brought a commanding, menacing, presence to his role that went perfectly with the more pleasant Wyatt.

Was a bit surprised by how long it took for Clementine to be introduced. Cathy Downs was my only problem with the film; she had zero personality, she came across really cold; at times she may have well been holding the script reading her lines from it. Not a good performance at all, if she was played by someone else i'd have probably given this .5 more at least. Linda Darnell was much better. This wasn't a major problem though as despite the title Clementine actually isn't in it that much. I liked Brennan too, again he wasn't in it that much but i liked seeing him as the villain since the only other things i've seen him in is Red River where he is probably the most likable character in the film. The film did a really good job of juggling multiple small subplots then connecting them all at the end which is why some of these characters weren't in it alot. The Gunfight At The OK Corral was well done, it was an exaggeration of what really happened of course but it had to be or it would've been a really quick dull scene. While not hilarious there was some decent humour both intentional and unintentional. I genuinelly really cracked up when Wyatt dragged Chihuahua outside the bar and she said "Hey, listen this is Doc Holiday's town and when he comes back...." *slap*, it was such a wtf moment; she didn't even begin to finish her sentence it honestly took me by surprise haha. The film looked amazing. Early on its visuals caught my attention during the scene Wyatt, Virgil, etc were riding towards Tombstone with dark clouds in the sky passing through some gorgeous scenery. It kept up that high standard throughout with plenty of fantastic cinematography and camerawork.

Really great film. Out of the small amount i've seen this would get my vote for best introduction to black and white westerns.

American Gangster (2007)

Finally got around to seeing this movie and was really pleased with it. Ridley Scott solidly directs this fine crime movie with Denzel Washington and Russel Crowe as two sides of the crime and law coin. Washington, as Frank Lucas, takes over when his crime boss (Clarence Williams III) passes away, and quickly rises as the kingpin drug pusher in Harlem. Crowe plays the honest cop who begins a long investigation with a hand-picked crew of cops to bring Washington to justice. Quite a good movie as Washington plays a fairly ruthless character who can charm one minute and beat the snot of someone the next. Crowe is the frustrated but determined cop who has to put up with crooked police constantly mocking him for refusing to keep found stolen money. Sort of a Serpico-type, except without the disguises. Good supporting cast includes Josh Brolin, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Ruby Dee in a small role as Frank Lucas' mother (a role which got her a Best Supporting Actress nomination, which I didn't think was really deserved, as her part was so small and she really didn't get to shine), Ted Levine, Puerto Rican goddess Lymari Nadal, Cuba Gooding Jr., John Hawkes, Carla Gugino, and many, many more. At two-and-one-half hours, this is a pretty epic gangster film that never flags. Recommended.

The Secret Life of Pets (2016)

The title and the trailer of this animated flick kind of leads you to believe that it's all about what pets do when their owners are away. Well, that does happen, but it's not just that. There's an adventure story going on here also, as two dogs quickly find they don't like sharing their owner, get lost in the big city, and get caught up with a gang of vicious "unwanted pets" who live in the sewers of New York City. The leader of the gang is a cute, but very deadly white bunny. I've seen this type of "animals out of their element going through an adventure" type of movie before and this one goes through the same paces but is still entertaining due to good animation and nice voice-work. Fun stuff.