Favorite movies by Directors, Actors, Leaders, other important people

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I tried to do a search for past posts, didn't see anything, unless it's worded differently. Most of these are from openculture.org (also a great place to download 700+ movies/documentaries)..

I know President Clinton and Eisenhower both loved "High Noon"

Christopher Hitchens has mentioned the movies "Battle of Algiers" and "Z" as great films. I don't think Noam Chomsky would ever admit to watching a movie...

Stanley Kubrick
1. i vitelloni (Fellini, 1953)
2. Wild Strawberries (Bergman, 1957)
3. Citizen Kane (Welles, 1941)
4. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (Huston, 1948)
5. City Lights (Chaplin, 1931)
6. Henry V (Olivier, 1944)
7. La notte (Antonioni, 1961)
8. The Bank Dick (Fields, 1940—above)
9. Roxie Hart (Wellman, 1942)
10. Hell's Angels (Hughes, 1930)

Woody Allen
  • The 400 Blows (François Truffaut, 1959)
  • (Federico Fellini, 1963)
  • Amarcord (Federico Fellini, 1972)
  • The Bicycle Thieves (Vittorio de Sica, 1948)
  • Citizen Kane (Orson Welles, 1941)
  • The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (Luis Buńuel, 1972)
  • Grand Illusion (Jean Renoir, 1937)
  • Paths of Glory (Stanley Kubrick, 1957)
  • Rashomon
  • The Seventh Seal (Ingmar Bergman, 1957)

Martin Scorsese
2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) – Stanley Kubrick
(1963) – Federico Fellini
Ashes and Diamonds (1958) – Andrzej Wajda
Citizen Kane (1941) – Orson Welles
The Leopard(1963) – Luchino Visconti
Paisan(1946) – Roberto Rossellini
The Red Shoes (1948) – Michael Powell/Emeric Pressburger
The River (1951) – Jean Renoir
Salvatore Guiliano (1962) – Francesco Rosi
The Searchers (1956) – John Ford
Ugetsu Monogatari (1953) – Mizoguchi Kenji
Vertigo (1958) – Alfred Hitchcock

Honestly, i am lost with the title of the thread and the subsequent list of movies. Do you mean "by" or "of"?

David Lynch
“I love Stanley Kubrick,” he replies. “I can watch his movies over and over. I love Billy Wilder, Sunset Boulevard in particular, and I’ve watched it over and over. I loved the world Billy Wilder created.” “I love Fellini,” Lynch continues. “Watched ‘em over and over. If you want to see some great comedies, check out Jacques Tati’s Mr. Hulot’s Holiday. I like W.C. Fields. I like the movie It’s a Gift. I like Hitchcock, particularly Rear Window.” And after a moment of reflection: “I like a lot of different filmmakers, but those are… some of them.” MUBI.com also offers a post on Lynch’s favorite films, drawn from Lynch on Lynch, Chris Rodley’s book-length interview with the director, and Catching the Big Fish, Lynch’s own volume on meditating your way to interesting ideas. Here he provides more details on his fellow filmmakers of choice:
  • In , “Fellini manages to accomplish with film what mostly abstract painters do – namely, to communicate an emotion without ever saying or showing anything in a direct manner, without ever explaining anything, just by a sort of sheer magic.”
  • In Sunset Boulevard, Wilder “manages to accomplish pretty much the same abstract atmosphere, less by magic than through all sorts of stylistic and technical tricks. The Hollywood he describes in the film probably never existed, but he makes us believe it did, and he immerses us in it, like a dream.”
  • Monsieur Hulot’s Holiday wins his favor “for the amazing point of view that Jacques Tati casts at society through it. When you watch his films, you realize how much he knows about – and loved – human nature, and it can only be an inspiration to do the same.”
  • Rear Window does the same “for the brilliant way in which Alfred Hitchcock manages to create – or rather, re-create – a whole world within confined parameters. James Stewart never leaves his wheelchair during the film, and yet, through his point of view, we follow a very complex murder scheme. Hitchcock manages to take something huge and condense it into something really small. And he achieves that through a complete control of film making technique.”
Communicating without directly saying, showing, or explaining? Crafting abstract atmosphere? Evoking a dreamlike version of Hollywood? Casting an eye on society that sees things differently? Creating worlds in tight confines? Seems to me, as someone who’s experienced more than his share of screenings of such films as Eraserhead, Blue Velvet, Lost Highway, and Mulholland Drive, that you could ascribe new versions of not one but all of these cinematic tendencies to Lynch himself. We call imitation the sincerest form of flattery, but surely it counts as a whole other order of compliment to take the accomplishments of the creators who inspire you and somehow make them completely your own. It takes, as the man says, a sort of sheer magic.

Oops, I meant "of"

Can we edit the subject?
Yes you can!

Of great people.... Patton comes to mind.

The Red Shoes! Now that's a movie! Never thought i would love a musical. But that one blew me away!

I am the Watcher in the Night
that's the perfect list of pretentious film makers lol but some really good movies listed there. Not sure if I can find many world leaders and what their faves are but something I came across is Nelson Mandela saying he really enjoyed Will Smith movies and even urged him to get back to making fun, blockbuster flicks. I think that's damn cool!

"I need your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle"

From what i've seen, when it comes to favorite movies William Friedkin is one of the coolest directors out there

On the Criterion Collection Youtube Channel, there's a section called DVD Picks where many famous filmmakers pick some of their favorite criterion releases.

If you're interested in this kind of stuff, you should give some of the videos a watch:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...89754A5DAD1E8E

Those are great, there are a lot more though not included there. One day I watched like 20 in one sitting.

I love Slavoj "Sho on and Sho on" Zizek, and has a nice documentary, and I've seen his Criterion favorites. Some I've watched..

He's really gaga over Hitchcock..

Saddam Hussein's favorite movie was "The Godfather" -- (his favorite TV show was "Little House On The Prairie" -- I'll try to remember some with links as I start my day

I think it tells a lot about people, from what they watch, listen to, and what they laugh at... I found some more..

Woodrow Wilson loved "Birth of a Nation"
Truman loved "My Darling Clementine"
JFK liked the Bond movies (I never did)
LBJ loved "The Searchers"
Nixon loved "Patton"

Impressed with Carter.. First film he saw was "All The President's Men" and was the first President to watch an X-rated film, "Midnight Cowboy"

The name of the Texas oil company George H. W. Bush in 1953 was "Zapata Oil" probably influenced by Brando the year before.
McCain's favorite movie is Viva Zapata (I found a bit stranger, still cool).. I found an entirely separate interview where someone asks McCain
What's the best movie about the Vietnam War you've ever seen?
We Were Soldiers. That's a very good film. Let's see, what else? You know, it's been so long since I've seen one. I know there was Full Metal Jacket and Coming Home and Born on the Fourth of July, Apocalypse Now — but honestly, one of them doesn't really stand out as the best.

Clinton watched "High Noon" 17 times, and guess he liked "Naked Gun"

W. Bush's favorite film is "Field of Dreams" - I saw it in high school but didn't think it was anything special.

President Obama loved "Lawrence of Arabia", "The Godfather", and "Casablanca" (the white house in Spanish)... On another website from 2008 had an Obama vs. McCain on films and other things on television. It had all the films mentioned before, but I guess Obama loved "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest" (one of my favorites).

W. Bush's favorite film is "Field of Dreams" - I saw it in high school but didn't think it was anything special.

I feel the same way about Field of Dreams...it was a nice little movie, but I didn't go gaga over it the way the rest of the world did and can't believe it actually got a Best Picture nomination.

President Clinton and Eisenhower both loved "High Noon"

Woodrow Wilson loved "Birth of a Nation"

Truman loved "My Darling Clementine"

JFK liked the Bond movies

LBJ loved "The Searchers"

Nixon loved "Patton"

Carter.. All The President's Men"

McCain's favorite movie is "Viva Zapata"

Clinton watched "High Noon" 17 times

W. Bush's favorite film is "Field of Dreams"

President Obama loved "Lawrence of Arabia", "The Godfather" "Casablanca", "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest"
This is a pretty cool list Matt. It looks like all the US Presidents had good taste in movies.

This might just do nobody any good.
Christopher Nolan is a fan of McGruber.

Terrence Malick is a fan of Zoolander.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/white-hou...200251496.html

Bets are good that the Obama family will be watching the Oscar telecast on Feb. 26 considering what avid movie fans they are.
Now that he’s gone from office, Hollywood insiders reveal the Obama White House constantly asked for access to new releases. Hollywood has a long tradition of providing films to the White House, where there’s a posh screening room.
“There was never a film they didn’t request to watch,” says an executive at one studio. President Obama’s office also routinely requested awards screeners (including La La Land and other current Oscar contenders).
Another source says an ask even came in to watch Monster Trucks several days before Barack and Michelle Obama and their daughters, Malia — currently interning at Harvey Weinstein’s film company — and Sasha, left the White House for good on Jan. 20.
Sources say one or more members of the Obama family watched movies in the screening room, in the private residence and even on Air Force One. And when vacationing in Kailua, Hawaii, the Obama family often went to a nearby Regal theater.
“Bill Clinton was famously interested as well in movies, but that was in the DVD era, so more often than not, he would ask for DVDs,” says an executive. “George W. not so much.”
So far, the Trump White House has been relatively quiet, although the new president hosted a screening for Finding Dory (on DVD) and asked for access to James Franco-Bryan Cranston comedy Why Him?.