Do you leave ratings on here after a movie?

Tools    

Do You Leave a Numerical Review?
87.50%
14 votes
Yes
12.50%
2 votes
No
16 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Whether it's 1-10, popcorn, a rating so others can see.. "Last Movie..." or "Movie Tab II" or even your own personalized page.. I always have, but I've thought about not rating. While I'm watching, I'm grading it in my mind, fluctuating, etc... I've even thought about not even including what movies I watch to see if it changes anything for the positive.

I'm more curious to see who doesn't rate movies... And if so, or if not, why? I do it as a way of communication, and at least half of what I see is from what I read on here, and a rating certainly helps, since I know those who are closest to my movie tastes.

It's usually the first thing I do once it's over. I'd come on here, and also leave it on IMDB, since I just started to rate movies after not doing so my first 15 years there. It's a great way to know what you've seen, what you thought about it at one point. I've thought about doing what others do, having your own page, mostly to keep track.

I've even thought about not even including what movies I watch to see if it changes anything for the positive.
Sorry, what do you mean by this? You won't include the movies you watch?

I rate in RTLMYS simply because it's in the title, i definitely don't stick by practically any rating i've given though. I know i've rated movies i like less higher and vice-versa plenty. I have never given ratings in the Hall of Fames; i try and show what i thought of the movie with my words whether i rate or not so it is pretty pointless that i even give ratings i guess.

I've become more and more disillusioned with rating films over the years. It's such a trivial thing to do. I get why people do it, as I've done it myself, but I've come to realize that there's no real value in those numbers. It's the words that make me understand people's positions and insights.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Sorry, what do you mean by this? You won't include the movies you watch?

I rate in RTLMYS simply because it's in the title, i definitely don't stick by practically any rating i've given though. I know i've rated movies i like less higher and vice-versa plenty. I have never given ratings in the Hall of Fames; i try and show what i thought of the movie with my words whether i rate or not so it is pretty pointless that i even give ratings i guess.
You got it. I was thinking I'd watch a movie and just not post it, but I would talk about it in other posts.

I've become more and more disillusioned with rating films over the years. It's such a trivial thing to do. I get why people do it, as I've done it myself, but I've come to realize that there's no real value in those numbers. It's the words that make me understand people's positions and insights.
Good point.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
As I've explained elsewhere, if the content seems to interest you or you enjoy Resnais, just add one popcorn box to my rating. My ratings are mine, and don't belong to elitists or "the masses". Oh, and if you think I overrate mainstream films, just subtract one box. I don't write "reviews" or start threads so that I can post the rating. The rating is not as important as the writing, at least to me.
I rate everything I watch now, but write not so much because of my stroke four years ago. I've been rating movies for 43 years now so it's second nature to me now, but it is frustrating to not be able to contribute so much discussion to MoFo anymore.

I am new here but I do use the Last Movie thread. Instead of using numbers or popcorn I just leave a line of two on how I felt about the movie. I am not really a fan of using a numbered system as those numbers could mean different things for different people, On IMDB I never gave any movie a 10 for example but other users would hand 10's out to movies like they were going out of fashion, so I think a quick comment is much more telling and you can gauge how I felt about the film more accurately from it.

I've been rating movies for 43 years now so it's second nature to me now, but it is frustrating to not be able to contribute so much discussion to MoFo anymore.
I'm sure I'm not alone when I say it is for us too. Luckily I was here in the glory days before that happened. Plus, your stuff is still around.

ATTT: No. Unless you're JD.

I rate everything I watch now, but write not so much because of my stroke four years ago. I've been rating movies for 43 years now so it's second nature to me now, but it is frustrating to not be able to contribute so much discussion to MoFo anymore.

I'm sure I'm not alone when I say it is for us too. Luckily I was here in the glory days before that happened. Plus, your stuff is still around.

ATTT: No. Unless you're JD.

I feel the same tbh.
I love Mark's reviews, well written and by probably the most knowledgeable movie fan I've met.

You need to hire a typist, Mark so you can just talk your review at them and they can put it in Word for you

I forgot to say after I was blowing smoke up Mark's ass... as for the OP, I do leave occasional ratings on MoFo, either in my reviews or on rare occasions in the Last Movie Thread, but mine tend to be either brilliant movies, or really crap movies.
I tend to sort of gloss over the middle range films (movies I'd rate between 35% & 75%) when doing reviews and ratings.

I guess I'm the sort of person who says "watch" or "avoid" when it come to a film.

You can't win an argument just by being right!

I guess I'm the sort of person who says "watch" or "avoid" when it come to a film.
As verbose as I am in chitchat I tend to say Great Fun or That Was A Steaming Pile

I'm thinking of starting a new review thread and I think I'm gonna leave ratings off of them. It's a good idea, leaving them off. They're stupid. Often I look at old ratings and think, I shouldn't have rated it that. Sometimes I like the movie a lot more later, sometimes less. More important to just get the feelings out at the time you have them.

You got it. I was thinking I'd watch a movie and just not post it, but I would talk about it in other posts.
Yeah, I get where you're coming from. As for ratings, I find them useful in gauging my judgment toward whatever film when I need a quick reference. However, my issue has been reviews. I generally prefer having discussions about a movie rather than reviewing them now (if you even want to call them that). That started to feel like a chore to me. Sure, once in a while a movie might inspire me to write something, but now I usually just respond to someone's post and go from there.

Whether it's 1-10, popcorn, a rating so others can see.. "Last Movie..." or "Movie Tab II" or even your own personalized page.. I always have, but I've thought about not rating. While I'm watching, I'm grading it in my mind, fluctuating, etc... I've even thought about not even including what movies I watch to see if it changes anything for the positive.
That's exactly what I was doing watching The Last Days on Mars. I started pretty high but downgraded it by the end.

Since joining this site, every time I watch a movie, I write a review on my thread and then I go to "Rate the Last Movie I Saw" and post a rating.
Yeah, me too .