Are YOU Frugal?

Tools    

Huge Huge fan of garlic and apple cider vinegar, and lemon and lime. Becareful drinking ACV and citrus though. I checked with my dentist about this. It can erode enamel very easily.

Bicarb - miracle worker.

http://www.thankyourbody.com/uses-for-baking-soda/

Turmeric. I use it a lot. I don't believe the hype it prevents cancer, obviously, but it's a nifty little spice.
Olive oil extract. This has been sworn by a couple of people in my burb to help prevent man flu.

for juicing, I splashed out on a cold presser after years of burning out the old style. The cold pressed juice is so much better, and lasts longer. Doesnt get the nasty browny green froth.
True about ACV and teeth. Always rinse after using it. I've heard of people using it as a mouthwash to make their teeth shiny, it does work, but of course you have to rinse thoroughly afterward to avoid the caustic effect it has on teeth.

It's powerful stuff, but it goes a long way since it is used sparingly, so even though it's a bit pricey, a bottle should last a long time.

Also, for those not already in the know - don't drink ACV straight, if taken as a tonic it must be diluted in water or other drink. Same when using it as a skin treatment, dilute it at least by half with water.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Yeah dont brush within two hours of drinking ACV or citrus, and if using bicarb as a tooth polish, not every day.

Oh so nice I've found a fellow hippy, Cap.

for anyone who has a lemon tree and gets a glut - juice and freeze. If blonde or wanting to go lighter, use as a rinse after a shampoo.

And ginger for an upset stomach, car sickness, or added to your morning juice for some zing. Gives a bigger hit than coffee.
This is true too! Personally, I don't like the taste of ginger (so I only use it sparingly as an additive), but there was even an episode of Mythbusters where they were examining the best cures for nausea and sea-sickness. Ginger beat out all the medications they tried (and sailors can get it in pill form). I make ginger root tea for my mom since she suffers from stomach problems.

I'll need to try some for the "hit" effect as my usual state is one of chronic fatigue. (I know I sound like a health nut, but I haven't revealed all my bad, gluttonous habits that counteract my health efforts).

Ooh Ooh I'm allergic to pineapple so cant have this often but one of my nieces who was then working in a hipster green grocers recommended juiced pineapple, lime and ginger. Big hit. Massive infact. Bit of turmeric or paprika sprinkled on top.

for your mum, have you tried umeboshi plums? Japanese pickled plums. many moons ago I had morning sickness and the health food shop guy who was a friend recommended them (his wife is japanese). If your mum can't stomach the taste (I freaking love them) all she has to do is place one on her navel. I kid you not.

OK one more frugal totem pole stream of consciousness before I go and finish 205 of The Path. Not loving this show but not hate watching.

Years ago I lived in a country town. Good friends of mine lived on a property with tank water only. Being a city girl this was a bit distasteful but now back in the city and living on one of the driest continents we pay for water usage, so this makes sense. My husband doesn't approve because he's a precious snowflake, but we have his and her bathrooms so I tell him not to use mine. The saying is

'If it's yellow let it mellow; if it's brown flush it down'.

Or they would pee in a bucket and pour it under citrus trees. Saves on buying fertiliser. Not advised for people on meds, though. My dad came to visit when I first bought the place and asked where the toilet was. I told him to go pee under the lemon tree. He was on chemo at the time and said the poor tree would explode like chernobyl.

I thought of another frugal tip but it's goneski.

OK one more frugal totem pole stream of consciousness before I go and finish 205 of The Path. Not loving this show but not hate watching.

Years ago I lived in a country town. Good friends of mine lived on a property with tank water only. Being a city girl this was a bit distasteful but now back in the city and living on one of the driest continents we pay for water usage, so this makes sense. My husband doesn't approve because he's a precious snowflake, but we have his and her bathrooms so I tell him not to use mine. The saying is

'If it's yellow let it mellow; if it's brown flush it down'.

Or they would pee in a bucket and pour it under citrus trees. Saves on buying fertiliser. Not advised for people on meds, though. My dad came to visit when I first bought the place and asked where the toilet was. I told him to go pee under the lemon tree. He was on chemo at the time and said the poor tree would explode like chernobyl.
I only have one sink in my kitchen and no dishwasher - so, after making pasta, I keep the big pot that I use to boil water in the sink and use it as a dish bucket. I wash the dishes in it (which helps clean the pot as well). When it's full of soapy dishwater I then use it to flush the toilet.

Now, don't get me wrong, this doesn't mean I don't flush the toilet with its built-in flusher when necessary, it's just a way to utilize the dishwater, cut down on some flushes, and not waste as much water.

You are a kitchen goddess, Cap.

I read one tip about reusing teabags - put them in your sink with greasy cutlery and plates etc and add boiling water. Let soak and it degreases. I tried it but I think my teabags must be a bit weak after I wring out all the tea into my cup. I stick in the fridge for an eye mask later.

You are a kitchen goddess, Cap.

I read one tip about reusing teabags - put them in your sink with greasy cutlery and plates etc and add boiling water. Let soak and it degreases. I tried it but I think my teabags must be a bit weak after I wring out all the tea into my cup. I stick in the fridge for an eye mask later.
And then you can put your teabags in the compost. You DO compost, don't you?

I used to compost but years ago three of my dogs got into it and ate mould. I didn't realise this could happen but they ended up in intensive care at 11pm and days later only just pulled through. Scary time.

I used to compost but years ago three of my dogs got into it and ate mould. I didn't realise this could happen but they ended up in intensive care at 11pm and days later only just pulled through. Scary time.
Good excuse. (But you can get a man-made one that is sealable. My brother has a giant above-ground compost spinner!)

This reminded me of a cool thing I saw once on TV - off-the-grid / self-sustainable homes. And one cool thing was that the pipes were arranged so that all the drains from the sinks and showers went into the toilet. So the water in the toilet was called "gray water" (meaning it's not potable and has been used once). So there was no excess clean water wasted with flushing (which is one of the biggest wastes of water in most homes).

it was actually a worm farm and the lid was covered in bricks to stop possums ransacking it. I have no idea how three small dogs managed to remove the bricks.

OK frugal tip - coffee grounds. Sprinkle around plants to prevent snail invasion.

Unfortunately, I am not. Can't seem to learn life's most important lessons. If I have it, I spend it... Or give it to my kids. Someday I shall learn to be prudent.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I'm not frugal - I'm just broke!

Most interesting man in the world
Since Home Remedies can also be a huge part of frugality (saving you money on healthcare and medicines), what are some of yours? (Plus, they're really interesting!)
for headaches : I man it out
for colds : see above
for physical pain : see headaches
for sunburn / thermal vision protection : globs of fresh mud
for open wounds : heat sword for 15 mins apply on wound
for a temperature : jump into a frozen lake
for keeping warm in cold weather :

for headaches : I man it out
for colds : see above
for physical pain : see headaches
for sunburn / thermal vision protection : globs of fresh mud
for open wounds : heat sword for 15 mins apply on wound
for a temperature : jump into a frozen lake
for keeping warm in cold weather :

for headaches : Vicks Vapo-rub or Ben Gay applied to the temples, neck & base of skull (be careful to avoid eye area), brush teeth, then drink a glass of water, lay down and apply a warm wash rag over the eyes for 20 minutes while practicing meditation and deep breathing in a dark, quiet room. Eat a handful of raw almonds if able.

for colds : take half a large clove of raw garlic (finely chopped with a teaspoon of honey) once or twice daily, also take hot tea with lemon & honey or hot water with lemon and honey. Apply Vicks Vapo-Rub to chest and neck and cover nightly. Take ample amounts of rest and increase fluid intake and citrus fruits & juices for duration. And of course; hot chicken soup.

for physical pain : see headaches + engage in daily stretching & relaxation meditation. For immediate injuries apply ice intermittently for first few hours, later apply heat.

for sunburn / thermal vision protection : Apply Noxzema, or raw aloe (direct from plant), or an Apple Cider Vinegar (raw with "the mother") solution diluted with water to burned areas, get increased rest, increase water intake. Bathe at least every other day, preferably in luke warm or cool water (an oatmeal bath can soothe skin). Stay in cool darkened interior during healing. Avoid further exposure to direct sunlight, heat or hot showers. Preventative: avoid prolonged exposure to direct sunlight, wear sunscreen, protective clothing & UV-protective sunglasses.

for open wounds : Thoroughly flush & clean wound. Apply raw honey and bandage tightly for minor wounds that don't require stitches, or do same with OTC antiseptic / anesthetic. Always keep wounds bandaged. Ice lightly over bandage for pain (but don't allow bandages to get wet). Use a diet that promotes healing.

for a temperature : Take bed rest and increase fluid intake (including hot lemon water), used layered covering for bedrest to "sweat it out." Take an NSAID if home remedies don't work. If temp continues to increase over multiple days or goes over 102 degrees fahrenheit, seek immediate medical attention.

for keeping warm in cold weather : loose layered clothing, keep head covered, use thermal underwear, heavy socks, mittens, make sure no skin areas are exposed, exercise, drink hot liquids.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Not at all. But I used to watch the Frugal Gourmet as a kid on public broadcasting.

Hey Dani8, I thought I was the only person in the world who is allergic to pineapple. I don 't like it much so it doesn't matter.

And I realize now that I'm not frugal, I thought I was, but don't do any of these thrifty things. I try to watch my spending, but sometimes I do seem to have more week left over at the end of my money.

Hey Dani8, I thought I was the only person in the world who is allergic to pineapple. I don 't like it much so it doesn't matter.
I do, lady. Not a serious allergy but enough to back me off it. It's a real shame because one of my nieces put me onto p[ineapple lime and ginger juice for a bit of breakfast ZING. Oh wow, really gives you some lift off but whenever I get the craving I have to be a bit sensible. Canned pineapple doesnt give me a reaction but I just dont really like it so avoid anyway.