Questions For Everyone!

Tools    

I am having a nervous breakdance
I am absolutely sure there are people twice my age that knows twice as much as me about computers and new technology. The reason to why older people don't know as much as "we" do is not because they are not able to, but because they retire from their jobs or just get too tired to keep up with the times. Yes, young people learn easier but old people have more experience which they can use when learning new things. They've seen similar things before. Look at all those Nobel Prize winners. Even if they receive the prize for things they did a long time ago they still have brilliant minds in a lot of cases. As long as you don't get some disease affecting the brain I don't see why the mind wouldn't stay pretty sharp if not until the end then at least until the very last years in life.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

There is no doubt that there are some pretty sharp people who are elderly. I am thinking of how the mind can start slipping as a person ages. I am looking at my family that I have known and lived to be over the age of 80. My grandfather, my great Grandmother (God rest their souls) and my great aunt (still living) are three of only 4 relatives that I have ever known that lived past age 80 and they all developed Alhzeimer's disease, and are senile. They were still smart people, even though they couldn't remember me or other close family. Some people never develop Alzheimer's or forget things like faces and what they did 5 minutes ago.

Official Sacrifice to Holden Pike
1) Which sex do you think has it easier in our culture? Have you ever wished you were of the opposite sex? Men. I have never wished I was a man. I think men have it easier because in our culture, more so in the past, it is assumed that men are working harder and deserve more R&R than a woman who it is assumed, stays home and eats bon bons and watches soap operas all day. Of course not so much today.
2) You are given the power to kill people simply by thinking of their deaths and twice repeating the word "goodbye". People would die a natural death and no one would suspect you. Are there any situations in which you would use this power? Gosh. That is a scary question. I think that you would try to only use it for good but I think if you were in a heated situation it would be only too easy to kill them. You'd eventually be walking around with a lot of guilt and depression. You'd be found out eventually and used for destruction and death. Like a secret weapon for the military.
3) If you were able to live to the age of 90 and retain either the body or the mind of a 30 year old for the last 60 years of your life, which would you want? The body. I see the elderly in so much physical pain just walking around or standing up from sitting down. It must suck so completely.
4) Would you rather be extremely successful professionally and have a tolerable yet unexciting private life, or have an extremely happy private life and only a tolerable and uninspiring professional life? As if most of us are not experiencing the latter already.
5) If God appeared to you in a series of vivid and moving dreams and told you to leave everything behind, travel alone to the Red Sea and become a fisherman, what would you do? Go. What if you were told to sacrafice your child? I'd hope that it was a test of faith like he did with Abraham.

I am having a nervous breakdance
Bonus Questions:

1) (I asked SB this one already): If your parents became infirm and the only alternative to bringing them into your home was to put them in a nursing home, would you do so? What about a sister or brother who suffered a permanently crippling injury and--other than your home--had nowhere to go but a convalescent home?

It would depend on the quality of the "nursing home". Since I work with disabled (or dysfunctional) people that can't function in life without help from others and knowing that they live excellent lives in our care, I know that "putting a relative in a home" is not as cold or inhumane as it may sound to some. On the contrary, people often get better help from professionals than from their family.

2)Given the ability to project yourself into the past but not return, would you do so? Where would you go and what would you try to accomplish if you knew you might change the course of history?

I am not so sure that I would do it. But if I had to I would like to be a sioux living in harmony with nature before the white man came. Then when he arrives we would work things out a little better than what really happened. And I am not saying this because I want to talk down white America. I studied native american cultures once in school and fell in love particularly with the sioux culture and their beliefs. It's the only "religion" I have ever felt made sense to me.

3)How many different sexual partners have you had in your life?
Would you prefer to have had more or fewer?

I think I am pretty average for someone who hasn't had many long and serious relationships but at the same time does not exaclty sleep with everyone that comes my way. I wouldn't say I would like to have had more partners, but definately more sex.

4)If you friends and acquaintances were willing to bluntly and honestly tell you what they really thought of you would you want them to? Would you tell them if they asked?

I wouldn't want them to sit down in front of me and tell me everything that pissed them off about me. But I do think they sort of tell me when they like or dislike something I do allready. Even if they do it without speaking. And if they asked me to do it about them, I would do it. I think I am good at telling people about themselves without hurting their feelings (if I don't want to hurt their feelings ).