Mojo Filter's Top 50 Male Solo Artists

Tools    

4. PHIL COLLINS
I don't know anybody who was born and raised into the 80's who is not a fan of Phil Collins. He made songs that ranged from pure pop ballads to dark and heavy to thought-provokingly deep. He is by far one of the greatest British musicians that ever lived.

My favorite songs:
In The Air Tonight
You Can't Hurry Love
I Don't Care Anymore
Easy Lover
Long Long Way To Go
Don't Lose My Number
Inside Out
One More Night
We Said Hello Goodbye
Against All Odds (Take A Look At Me Now)
Two Hearts
Another Day In Paradise
I Wish It Would Rain Down
Father To Son
Do You Remember?
Find A Way To My Heart
That's Just The Way It Is
Dance Into The Light
True Colors
Take Me Home

3. BILLY JOEL
The Piano Man has been making the world feel alright for 5 decades, with a career that is rich with brilliant classics and an impressive body of work. I've been a fan of Billy ever since I was a young boy in the 80's, and it wasn't until recently that I dove deeper into his back catalog. I was also fortunate to see him live last year, in what became one of the best concerts I have ever attended.

My favorite songs:
Piano Man
The Entertainer
Say Goodbye To Hollywood
Streetlife Serenader
Miami 2017 (Seen The Lights Go Out On Broadway)
Tomorrow Is Today
Vienna
Scenes From An Italian Restaurant
She's Got A Way
Movin' Out (Anthony's Song)
She's Always A Woman
My Life
All For Leyna
Don't Ask Me Why
Allentown
Uptown Girl
Tell Her About It
A Matter Of Trust
We Didn't Start The Fire
And So It Goes
The River Of Dreams
Downeaster Alexa

2. MICHAEL JACKSON
The first solo artist I fell in love with, the one and only King of Pop. Seriously, who wasn't obsessed with Michael Jackson back in the 80's and beyond? The moonwalk. The songs. The groundbreaking music videos. The red zippered jacket. The glove. The hat. Michael Jackson was truly the perfect embodiment of a complete entertainer. Growing up, I remember vividly dressing up like him and imitating his dance moves in the Beat It and Thriller videos. But, yet again, who didn't do that?

My favorite songs:
Rock With You
Don't Stop Til You Get Enough
Working Day And Night
Off The Wall
Billie Jean
Beat It
Human Nature
Baby Be Mine
The Lady In My Life
Say Say Say
Man In The Mirror
Liberian Girl
Dirty Diana
Black Or White
Who Is It
Jam
Will You Be There
Dangerous
Scream
Stranger In Moscow
They Don't Care About Us
D.S.
Blood On The Dancefloor
You Rock My World
Break Of Dawn
Whatever Happens
Hold My Hand
Behind The Mask
Love Never Felt So Good
Smooth Criminal

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
It's nice to see Billy Joel ranked so high on your list. He's one of my favorite singers too. I've seen him in concert a bunch of times, and he's amazing to see live. He's great at making sure that everyone has a great time at his shows, even if you're sitting in the cheap seats.

1. JOHN LENNON
Even though John Lennon's solo career only lasted for a short 10 years before he was tragically killed in 1980, his legacy as the founder of the greatest band that ever walked the earth in The Beatles, the man who represents one half of the greatest songwriting partnerships in history (the other half being Paul McCartney), and an outspoken advocate for world peace propelled him to the top. His solo work, even though flawed at times, was rich with brilliant masterpieces and timeless classics. His songs ranged from love ballads to socially and politically charged anthems to deeply personal songs.

My favorite songs:
Give Peace A Chance
Isolation
Hold On
Mother
Well Well Well
Imagine
How?
Jealous Guy
Gimme Some Truth
Oh My Love
The Luck Of The Irish
Only People
What You Got
Nobody Loves You (When You're Down And Out)
Old Dirt Road
Woman
Watching The Wheels
I'm Losing You
Cleanup Time
Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy)
I'm Stepping Out
Nobody Told Me
Real Love
Grow Old With Me
Instant Karma

Here's a recap of my entire list...

50. JOE JACKSON
49. CHUCK BERRY
48. GLENN FREY
47. AL GREEN
46. JIMI HENDRIX
45. JACKSON BROWNE
44. BUDDY HOLLY
43. EDDIE MONEY
42. SAM COOKE
41. RAY CHARLES
40. ERIC CLAPTON
39. JAMES BROWN
38. BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN
37. KENNY ROGERS
36. JOHN MELLENCAMP
35. ROD STEWART
34. NEIL DIAMOND
33. RICHARD MARX
32. BILLY OCEAN
31. HOWARD JONES
30. GEORGE MICHAEL
29. TUPAC SHAKUR
28. LENNY KRAVITZ
27. ROBBIE WILLIAMS
26. ELVIS PRESLEY
25. BILLY IDOL
24. JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE
23. PETER GABRIEL
22. MARVIN GAYE
21. BOB MARLEY
20. TOM PETTY
19. KENNY LOGGINS
18. STING
17. BOB DYLAN
16. STEVIE WONDER
15. DAVID BOWIE
14. GEORGE HARRISON
13. PRINCE
12. EMINEM
11. DON HENLEY
10. NOEL GALLAGHER
9. BRYAN ADAMS
8. LIONEL RICHIE
7. PAUL MCCARTNEY
6. ELTON JOHN
5. PHIL COLLINS
4. CAT STEVENS
3. BILLY JOEL
2. MICHAEL JACKSON
1. JOHN LENNON

As for Billy Joel, your favorite song list didn't even include my two favorites-The Stranger and Just the Way You Are. It just goes to show how many great songs he has.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
I love this list of yours! Great choices. Many would be on my list, too. My only major difference is that I wouldn't have Buddy Holly that low. I just love that man too much and he has to be higher. Also, I loved seeing Neil Diamond and Sam Cooke on here.

But based on some of your choices, I am surprised that you don't have Jim Croce on the list. He would definitely be on mine. But how do you feel about him?

I love this list of yours! Great choices. Many would be on my list, too. My only major difference is that I wouldn't have Buddy Holly that low. I just love that man too much and he has to be higher. Also, I loved seeing Neil Diamond and Sam Cooke on here.

But based on some of your choices, I am surprised that you don't have Jim Croce on the list. He would definitely be on mine. But how do you feel about him?

Jim Croce was on my list of finalists. I actually started off the list with him at 50, but then decided to go with Joe Jackson instead.

I've only recently began listening to Croce, thanks to Quentin Tarantino featuring his amazing song I Got A Name in Django Unchained, and haven't fully become familiar with his song catalog. He's an incredible singer and songwriter, though.

41. RAY CHARLES
There is no way a list of the greatest solo artists could be compiled without mentioning one of the most magnificent musicians of our time, Mr. Ray Charles. I know some might think I've committed a crime by placing him just south of my Top 40, but I haven't thoroughly explored his catalog. If I revisit this list a few years from now, Ray might be somewhere in my Top 30.

My favorite songs:
Hit The Road Jack
You Don't Know Me
Mess Around
I've Got A Woman
Georgia On My Mind
Ol' Man River
My parents owned every album Ray Charles ever recorded.

35. ROD STEWART
English pop/rock star Rod Stewart's songs, particularly in the 80's, were some of the best he had ever made. I grew up listening to this stuff.

My favorite songs:
Maggie Mae
You're In My Heart
Baby Jane
Infatuation
Some Guys Have All The Luck
Love Touch
Forever Young
Young Turks

Love, love, love, love Rod Stewart...saw him in concert once...much better live than on vinyl.

16. STEVIE WONDER
Stevie Wonder's wonderful voice and melodies are the soundtrack of a generation.

My favorite songs:
Uptight (Everything's Alright)
My Cherie Amour
Signed, Sealed, Delivered I'm Yours
Superstition
You Are The Sunshine Of My Life
Isn't She Lovely
Don't You Worry 'Bout A Thing
Master Blaster (Jammin')
Do I Do
I Just Called To Say I Love You
Overjoyed
Higher Ground
Part Time Lover

Stevie is awesome...saw him at Radio City Music Hall about 20 years ago...the man sang for three hours. Actually, he left the stage for about 5 minutes to change tuxedos. Technically, he didn't really sing for three hours...his older songs like "My Cherie Armour" and "You are the Sunshine of My Life", he just played the piano and let the audience sing (who were on their feet for the entire concert)...an amazing evening I'll never forget it

6. ELTON JOHN
Elton John has been around for what feels like an eternity, and he's had a countless number of classic songs.

My favorite songs:
Your Song
Rocket Man
Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Mona Lisas And Mad Hatters
Tiny Dancer
Crocodile Rock
Daniel
Bennie And The Jets
Empty Garden (Hey Hey Johnny)
I'm Still Standing
Sacrifice
The One
Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me
Can You Feel The Love Tonight
I Want Love
I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues

Saw Elton live twice...nobody does a live show like Elton John.