Philosophy of Cinema

Tools    

• What is the nature of film? If film is to be a art form unto itself, what aesthetic should be exploited in order for it to maintain individuality?
  • Can Formulism and Realism create a synthesis with one another? If so, how?
  • In the Cartesian sense, how do we know if art is effective if we have no proofs to illustrate it's effectiveness on the human condition? Should we begin to understand mathematics as a way of understanding these illustrations of effectiveness?
  • Is it possible to predict and/or create movements? If so, how?
  • Is it possible to achieve temporal frequency without juxtapositions? If so, how?
  • Speaking purely from a standpoint of a synthesis of Kant's Rationalism and Empiricism. By what limitations is the cinema put under? Can these limitations of the cinematic senses be superseded? If not, if we recognize it's limitations can we therefore create higher art with this understanding?

... More to come, hopefully these questions spark some debate.
Imagine an eye unruled by man-made laws of perspective, an eye unprejudiced by compositional logic, an eye which does not respond to the name of everything but which must know each object encountered in life through an adventure of perception. How many colors are there in a field of grass to the crawling baby unaware of 'Green'?

-Stan Brakhage

• What is the nature of film? If film is to be a art form unto itself, what aesthetic should be exploited in order for it to maintain individuality?
  • In the Cartesian sense, how do we know if art is effective if we have no proofs to illustrate it's effectiveness on the human condition? Should we begin to understand mathematics as a way of understanding these illustrations of effectiveness?
  • Is it possible to achieve temporal frequency without juxtapositions? If so, how?
  • Speaking purely from a standpoint of a synthesis of Kant's Rationalism and Empiricism. By what limitations is the cinema put under? Can these limitations of the cinematic senses be superseded? If not, if we recognize it's limitations can we therefore create higher art with this understanding?

... More to come, hopefully these questions spark some debate.
I'm sorry, mate, I'd like to answer your questions but am having a hard time even understanding them. I've never thought of the medium 'film' in this way and it's not really my kind of thing to do so. If you want some well thought-through answers on these matters, I suggest you contact Planet News...

That is totally dependent on the filmmaker. Again, that would depend on the filmmaker & what he/she considers to be art.
I wasn't speaking necessarily from the vantage point of individual artists. I was speaking of the cinematic arts as a whole. The question, "What is the nature of film? If film is to be a art form unto itself, what aesthetic should be exploited in order for it to maintain individuality?" One, I believe, should ask themselves is what differentiates film from all other forms of art. The answer to this question alone creates a catalyst for cinematic possibilities. What cinema is not is the idle arts; art, photography, sculpture, etc. because it remains in activity of something very much akin to music. This activity that gives music it's liberation to the spectators ear, and in cinema perhaps both through the spectating ear and eye, is what I constitute as time and space. If we are to agree with this assumption, that films individuality comes from the liberation of the ears and the eyes of time and space. Should the question now be posed that in order for films exploitation and, "the maintaining of its individuality", not come from the workings of cinema itself? But of the understanding of time and space manipulations, found directly in conjunction with mathematics and physics, (in particular)?

Absolutely. Unanswerable. Not only would that be dependent on the filmmaker, but also, the method of the synthesis would probably best come about during the process of filmmaking more than from the planning stage, yo. Instincts.
Absolutely/Unanswerable? I'm not sure I understand. If it is absolutely possible, why does this remain unanswered? We are not necessarily talking about film makers here, we are again referring to theoretics. Theoretically, I believe it is possible, do we have any proofs to show that it can? Again, if so, how? If Realism is a homogeneity of space, and Formulism is it's manipulation; how then would one synthesize the two to create a shade of grey that was both and neither?

You're right, we don't have any proofs. Therefore, not only is there no way (probably), it's probably not a question that should asked in a verbal sense. If there is an answer, it's probably best to let it reveal itself by itself. Absolutely not. There's a reason nature separated the left/mathematical side & the right/creative side of the brain.
I should mention now that every human being uses each side of his or her brain, that's common psychological knowledge. Now to the point, the Renaissance in particular saw a huge influx of polymaths who devoted themselves not just to the arts, but to the sciences as well, they came to understand science as an art and art vise-verse. Math was heavily thought of as a way to structure the arts, look at the Mona Lisa for example:

Beauty was thought to have some sort of mathematical representation. This is nothing new though, even the Ancient Egyptians thought the same thing. And they too even influenced Eisenstein, according to him:

"The representation of water, next to a representation of in eye, in hieroglyphs, means to 'weep' - but this is montage!"

I believe it is truly necessary to understand mathematical principals, especially physics, now, if we are to understand time and space manipulation within the new art.

If you mean physically, yes. But I sorta get the feeling it would probably hurt more than help. I don't know. But if there is a way, I somehow think that it would involve the formula discovered by that one guy who the film A Beautiful Mind is based on.
This is my thoughts on this, feel free to agree to disagree:

There is a danger which film faces today and perhaps tomorrow if not undone through the understanding of broader concepts, one of cinematic/visual stagnation. If we do not rise to face the challenges of the future, the advancement of this medium seems bleak. One may ask then, “How do we avert out impending doom?” The answer to this question lay in the past itself and beyond the confines of the very medium on which we work.

I’ll support my claim with a metaphor. What does the painter do when the only color given to him is blue? Without the shades of white nor black, they cannot provide any means of contrast; and without any other primary colors, such as yellow, they cannot create green. What I’m alluding to within this metaphor is that the cinematic artist not only need to express their interest in other mediums outside itself to improve it, but I’m also referring to the creation of movements within themselves that will evolve the medium itself and catapult it into new realms. Whosoever is under the illusion that film in and of itself cannot create such movements is giving up too soon I believe. Under what circumstance must artistic movements come about only through painting and music only, and why? Have we not the gall to at least try? If so, what prevents us from this individualist approach to progressive movements? My answer to this is that we have created our own stagnation, without care of real cinematic progression, but rather the limited scope of cinematic experimentation existing within itself. We must push forward, and the only way to do this is to, (metaphorically), obtain different shades and colors which will allow us the freedom and base on which to create our own movements and masterpieces of originality.

Above, I provided a picture of a cubist piece by Pablo Picasso. Let’s examine the very nature of cubism for a moment shall we? In aesthetics and in it’s influences. Cubism, (as with any movement), does not come from itself. In other words, cubism did not create cubism. Cubism came about through other art forms such as impressionism, expressionism, and the like. With the very thought in mind, the true creator of procured movements takes these inspirations into account, reflecting on history in the collective sense, and creates their own movements through their creative understanding of blending these forms together. So we in a sense, (among other concepts in the process), blend impressionism and expressionism together and we introduce the world to a new form which one calls “Cubism”.

With the time span of only a little over one hundred years of existence, film has not lived a long enough life to really bring anything new to the table as far as the artistic sense is concerned. However, this limitation need not exist. The advantage to film, more than any other art form, is that is has the ability to blend all other types of art forms; literature, art, photography, music, whatever it may be, film can blend it somehow. So lets say we want to incorporate Cubism into a cinematic sense. One could simply make the mise-en-scene and whatever it pertains be ambiguous in nature, meanwhile, to add the “kick” of what the painting provides as “uncompromising lines” which give birth to the figure itself, we can have jarring edits which illustrate cinematically the same thing. What if we intend to blend other artistic concepts known through history and make them, cinematically, our own. The point illustrated here is that nothing is off limits to the cinematic form. Film, however brief in its birth, can evolve into a species thought impossible by other forms of art. The only limitations it has is the film maker themselves and their creativity, and the lack thereof.
Outside the time-displacing behavior of the atom, I don't see how. The only way would be to understand how an atom does so when it shows up in two places at the same time. And I don't see that happening anytime soon. Heck, probably not during the lifetime of all of humanity, TBH.
Again, this is why mathematics seems so very relevant to me.

IMO, art, no matter how high, is best created thru instinctual means than by any kind of intellectual understanding. Therefore, I feel that by asking these kinds of questions may end up more stifling to the process than anything else.
But that conclusion, like all things, is purely relative.
I don't think you can have instinct without intellect, and the better the intellect the better the instinct. But this was not necessarily either what I was asking. My question was the purely philosophical question of the nature of cinema. The philosophical question of what can we know within the limits the art?

• The nature of film is either nature or Kino-eye. One thing that needs to come back, or exploited as you put it, is the actual visual storytelling as opposed to the audio/video books in theaters.

I figure they already did. Realism was the first "genre" I would say, given a formula by people like Griffith and Melies (both of which did not make nonfiction), however after a few decades of getting its feet wet, the film world used formulism and realism together in such examples as Rome Open City or even Barry Lyndon that gave obvious structure but nothing surreal or extra-ordinary. That said, they are not purely used in juxtaposition very often anymore. The better question may be how to further a juxtaposition of realism and anti-structure.

• I talked with Planet about music and truth, and he was asking in a similar way whether or not music provided or accounted for truths in anything, which is very hard to defend in words, moreso for music than film
    but regardless of effectiveness, the unspoken arts are intangible by nature and perhaps the best way to defend this is through utilizing the very medium. Elaboration on this is probably necessary.

As far as mathematics, its innate in anything we create, but the question is what kind of math do we need to know to appreciate something more? We already understand aesthetic symmetry and the like, geometry, etc., but this is something I don't know how to answer because I'm still not entirely sure of the direct relationship with numbers and art even though I believe one exists.

• Incepted intuition. In film history we as an audience develop understanding of structure, behavior, so forth, so I think if you play with that just the right way you can be barely predictable, but in the Brahms way where you enjoy it.

• I'm not sure what you're asking. Montage or cutting or what? A wave of frequency can be depicted by a lot of things without intercutting i.e. circular dolly around a decadent statue surrounded by falling leaves, 360 degrees.

• That depends if you prefer following his ideology for a project or two, but I don't think art will ever intuitively pour itself into a rationalism filter. If you are approaching specific genres it may be different, but history shows that all limitations are at one point or another superseded. The last question is what I thought you were talking about in the first place, in that providing limitations for oneself for a project is always a great exercise for any artist and I do find it helps edge up the quality in certain respects. You just need to understand what you're doing and what will/should come of it.

Thank you both, TMC and WT, for responding. I do hope we can really bunker down and consider this as a serious discussion. WT, I'll respond to you in awhile, don't think I've forgotten. As far as "Temporal Frequency" is concerned, think "The Rashomon Effect". I also do hope Planet News can pop in here as well and chime in some of his thoughts. I respect all of you.

Can Formulism and Realism create a synthesis with one another? If so, how?

I believe i have answered this before on another thread. I dont believe that there is such a thing as absolute realism. Film cannot reflect reality; it can only imitate it. That being said, cinema today is about formulism. Even if you take Italian neo-realism for example, there are sets/ the scenes are staged to reconstruct actual events. And what about the act of cutting? Doesnt the use of cutting and editting in films, which almost all directors do, go against realism? If we distort time, we are effectively distorting reality. That being said, there are films such as Russian Ark or Satantango which deliberately eschew from cutting because the directors believe that it disrupts the beauty of the natural world which they are filming.

Looking at cinema today, i feel that the use of formulism/ cinematic techniques clashes with realism. Directors today find it harder and harder to incorporate realism into films because audience today demand technically 'superior' films. And with the rise of film-schools, i fear that the new breed of directors would be overly concerned with esoteric film structures, complex cinematographic shots... throwing in textbook filmmaking techniques which push the film further and further away from realism. What we need in cinema today is a realisation that good films dont need superior 'acting' , superior 'camera-work' etc. , but the power of its narrative/purpose. An excellent example is Edward Yang's Yi Yi, it is considered to be the greatest film of the decade NOT because it boasts of good acting or cinematography, but the subject matter; it resonates because we identify with it. That is realism as far as it can go, and not formulism.

Can Formulism and Realism create a synthesis with one another? If so, how?

I believe i have answered this before on another thread. I dont believe that there is such a thing as absolute realism. Film cannot reflect reality; it can only imitate it. That being said, cinema today is about formulism. Even if you take Italian neo-realism for example, there are sets/ the scenes are staged to reconstruct actual events. And what about the act of cutting? Doesnt the use of cutting and editting in films, which almost all directors do, go against realism? If we distort time, we are effectively distorting reality. That being said, there are films such as Russian Ark or Satantango which deliberately eschew from cutting because the directors believe that it disrupts the beauty of the natural world which they are filming.

Looking at cinema today, i feel that the use of formulism/ cinematic techniques clashes with realism. Directors today find it harder and harder to incorporate realism into films because audience today demand technically 'superior' films. And with the rise of film-schools, i fear that the new breed of directors would be overly concerned with esoteric film structures, complex cinematographic shots... throwing in textbook filmmaking techniques which push the film further and further away from realism. What we need in cinema today is a realisation that good films dont need superior 'acting' , superior 'camera-work' etc. , but the power of its narrative/purpose. An excellent example is Edward Yang's Yi Yi, it is considered to be the greatest film of the decade NOT because it boasts of good acting or cinematography, but the subject matter; it resonates because we identify with it. That is realism as far as it can go, and not formulism.
    In speaking of Formulism, I am speaking of reality in representation, much like Soviet Montage where one representation juxtaposed to another representation creates a synthesis of ideas in the human brain which is very much so not Realism. Realism is the antithesis of it, long takes, infinite depth, etc. Though the edit makes it impossible for an ultimate reality, a 'type' reality is reached to some degree in this process. What this 'type' reality is is something Bazin referred to as a Cinematic Realism. Again, the question posed is how not necessarily do we achieve ultimate reality in cinema, that would be impossible I believe, rather it is a question of making juxtaposing realities in synthesis to create a Formulist Reality.

(BTW, Tyler, thank you so much for contributing to the thread, I really appreciate your input and for getting on board here. As for WT, I promise I'll get to you as soon as I can.)

Reply to Topic