JayDee's Movie Musings

→ in
Tools    

[color=#000000][font=times new roman][font=Arial][color=#000000]

Well I just meant darker side in terms of it going against the squeaky clean image you imagine that Walt Disney would have, as well as hinting at the darker side that has often been rumoured about Disney in terms of him possibly being sexist, racist, anti-Semitic, a ruthless businessman etc
I knew what you intended, I just thought dark was the wrong word. And I doubt Disney will ever make a movie dealing with some of Walt's rumored failings. Smoking and swearing seem to be the line they will cross.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Oh yeah and you people have totally spoiled me with rep of late. 18 for Guardians, 19 for Apes, 15 for Marathon Man, 16 for Serpico and Southern Comfort.

So 7 reps for Saving Mr Banks, which is very respectable, now seems measly by comparison!

mirror
mirror

Year of release

Directed by
Stephen Sommers

Written by
Stephen Sommers
Dean Koontz (novel)

Starring
Anton Yelchin
Addison Timlin
Willem Dafoe
Nico Tortarello
Gugu Mbatha-Raw

Odd Thomas

++

Plot - In the small town of Pico Mundo, California lives a very unique individual; an individual fittingly named Odd Thomas (Yelchin). What makes Odd so unique is that he is blessed with the ability to see the spirits of dead people, and he uses this ability to help them achieve peace, usually by bringing those who were criminally responsible to task. There are only two people in his life who know Odd's secret; his girlfriend Stormy (Timlin) and local police chief Wyatt Porter (Dafoe) who helps Odd pit his powers to good use. An additional power at his disposal is his ability to see Bodachs; creatures normally invisible to human eyes who feed on pain and misery and whose appearance warns of impending death and destruction. When more Bodachs begin to show up than he has ever seen before, Odd realises that a truly major catastrophe must be in the offing and that it's up to him to stop it.

When it comes to the cavalcade of directors currently plying their trade in Hollywood, Stephen Sommers is not exactly amongst the most revered or respected. He's certainly not what you'd call an artistic auteur, and he has delivered his share of flops. However he has also proved on a few occasions (The Mummy and Deep Rising for example) that he is very capable of delivering films that are just a massive amount of fun. And Odd Thomas is another that can be added to that list. Well at least in my opinion. Perhaps unsurprisingly it has not been met with a great deal of affection from the critics. I however found it be a very energetic, highly enjoyable little flick. In fact so taken with it was I that towards the end I had become so engaged with it that I found myself getting slightly emotional at the direction the story took.

Given his form in other enterprises it should perhaps come as no real surprise that Sommers is able to deliver a few lively and exciting set-pieces through the film. He also keeps proceedings moving along at a brisk pace, using a few cinematic tricks and CGI for stylish editing and inter-cutting to further enhance the breezy life of the film. His experience in the world of CGI is also put to good use as he impressively handles and incorporates the film's special effects into proceedings. On occasion you can tell from the effects that the film isn't blessed with a massive budget but they are generally well handled and fairly creative. I was particularly taken with the design of the Bodachs; the shadow-like creatures who feed on human suffering, their presence forecasting future death and disaster.

While watching through the film the most obvious comparison that came to mind was definitely Peter Jackson's terrific 1996 film, The Frighteners. Just like that film, Odd Thomas details the life of an individual with the ability to see the dead, an ability that alerts him to a major disaster that is about to occur. Also like that film it attempts a blend of horror, action and dark comedy. What I would say though, and it's perhaps the film's main flaw, is that it's unable to balance the shifting tones quite as well as The Frighteners was able to. There are stretches of the film where it focuses very much on the sweetness of the central romance and on its comedic bent (largely dark but with a touch of the slapstick), while there are other long stretches where the film veers towards the rather dark and grisly. The tonal shifts can occasionally lack a cohesion and feel jarring.

Film Trivia Snippets - For the role of Stormy Llewellyn, several of Hollywood's hottest young things were considered. Amongst them were Lily Collins, Emma Roberts, Kat Dennings and Portia Doubleday. Collins was actually the front-runner but dropped out in favour of doing Mirror Mirror. /// Tim Robbins was originally considered for the role of Chief Porter before Willem Dafoe was cast. /// Originally the film was set to feature a character by the name of Shamus Cocobolo, who is a blind DJ. Sean Combs was considered and 50 Cent was actually cast. He does not feature in the final film however, though it's unclear if he filmed his scenes and they just got left on the cutting room floor or not. /// In Odd's apartment there is a life-size cardboard figure of Elvis Presley that the character talks to on occasion. This is a reference to the original source novels which actually featured the ghost of Elvis as a companion to Odd who would interact and converse with him. When Elvis moved on, the ghost of Frank Sinatra became Odd's new companion. Sinatra has subsequently replaced by Alfred Hitchcock. /// Odd Thomas actually started filming all the way back in May 2011. Filming was halted in June however due to financing problems. Even after filming was completed the film had financial difficulties and became delayed indefinitely in 2013 due to legal action. At one point it was unknown whether it would ever see the light of day.
Anton Yelchin is most famous to cinema audiences for his role as Chekov in J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek series. While he's proven to be quite charming in the role he's been restricted to being little more than a 'funny' accent; nuclear wessels and all that. When he's been given the opportunity however he has been able to show himself to be a very interesting, diverse actor. Whether that be in small little indies or even in big blockbusters such as Terminator Salvation where I thought he was the best thing about it. He feels like the embodiment of geek chic to me, and he proves to be a terrifically likeable and engaging lead as the eponymous Odd Thomas. In the role of his beloved, Stormy, I imagine that for many viewers Addison Timlin will walk the fine line between adorable and irritating. For me however I would definitely go with insanely adorable, and I just fell in love with Timlin right there and then. Willem Dafoe, in what feels like a very rare 'good guy' role these days, proves to be as watchable and entertaining as ever. In addition there are also a couple of interesting and quirky cameos from Patton Oswalt and Sommers' old Mummy colleague, Arnold Vosloo.

Odd Thomas had a tough time of it in terms of securing distribution, never really receiving a proper cinematic release. Here in the UK it only got a direct-to-DVD release, while in America a lawsuit substantially delayed the release date (in fact at one point Dean Koontz feared it may never see the light of day) and ensured that its eventual release was extremely limited with no promotion. While I think that's a shame, in a way it actually seems quite fitting as Odd Thomas very much feels like a direct-to-DVD film, though not necessarily in a bad way. It has a cheap, low-key, offbeat sensibility that offers a great charm. In fact what it actually feels like is the feature-length pilot for a new TV show; and your new favourite TV show at that. Indeed given its strong similarity it could be an apt successor to the oft-lamented “Dead Like Me.”

As someone who hasn't read the Dean Koontz novel on which the film is based I didn't know from the outset where the story was going, and while on reflection it may seem like a standard, by-the-numbers plot, as I watching it constantly kept me on my toes throughout, unsure of where the story was going to go from one moment to the next as it threw in a couple of twists and surprises along the way. In terms of the dialogue, the writing once again evokes the feeling of a TV show. It's that hyper-realistic, self-aware, quippy style of dialogue that pops up every so often in the likes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, The Gilmore Girls or Veronica Mars. It's a type of dialogue that may not sound that natural but it can certainly be very creative and highly entertaining.

Up until viewing this film I had absolutely no knowledge of Odd Thomas; the character or the book on which this film is based. Turns out that it's a whole series consisting of 6 novels (soon to be 7), 3 graphic novels and now this film adaptation. It looks like this may be the only screen outing for the character however, and on this evidence I'd say that's a real shame. I think there was potential here for a really fun, pulpy series of films. The film may be a little rough around the edges, but endearingly so I thought.

Conclusion - Odd Thomas is not a brilliant piece of cinematic craftsmanship. Nor was it ever going to be in contention for any awards. And I'm sure a whole lot of people on here would hate it. However if it's a Friday or Saturday night and you're just looking for something fun to watch (either by yourself or with some friends) along with a few slices of pizza then I'd say this might just fit the bill. It's directed with a lot of energetic flair, features a series of likeable performances (with Yelchina being the stand-out) and I just found it to be quite a blast. Perhaps worth a shot for fans of The Frighteners, maybe Men in Black, Buffy, Supernatural, Dead Like Me etc. A future cult favourite? Very possibly.

As this is perhaps not a particularly well known film here's the trailer to help people out

I remember picking up the book at a bookstore and reading the back of the cover. The premise sounded interesting, but I'm not really a big Koontz fan, so I put it back on the shelf. I wasn't aware of a film adaptation, but I'll definitely check it out at some point. If you're comparing it to The Frighteners, a film I very much enjoy, then Odd Thomas should be worth a rental.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I remember picking up the book at a bookstore and reading the back of the cover. The premise sounded interesting, but I'm not really a big Koontz fan, so I put it back on the shelf. I wasn't aware of a film adaptation, but I'll definitely check it out at some point. If you're comparing it to The Frighteners, a film I very much enjoy, then Odd Thomas should be worth a rental.
Me either, but I've read three or four of his novels. The only one I really enjoyed was Watchers which was also adapted into a movie. That movie was crap.

I might give Odd Thomas a try. A couple of people have told me that I would like it.

The reaction to this one should be rather interesting

mirror
mirror

Year of release

Directed by
Josh Boone

Written by
Scott Neustadter
Michael H. Weber

Starring
Shailene Woodley
Ansel Elgort
Nat Wolff
Laura Dern
Sam Trammell
Willem Dafoe

The Fault in Our Stars

-

Plot - Hazel Grace Lancaster (Woodley) is sixteen years old. She is smart, witty, sarcastic and occasionally moody. She loves her parents, but also gets very frustrated with them. In fact she is your average teenager in every way. Except that she has terminal thyroid cancer. At the behest of her mother (Dern) she attends a support group for cancer sufferers, entirely convinced that it will have nothing to offer her. It is there however that she meets Augustus Waters (Elgort), a fellow cancer sufferer who may well be the love of her life. Striking up a friendship a strong bond is quickly formed between the two. As their feelings for each other begin to grow they embark on what to them feels like an epic romance; a romance that includes a trip to Amsterdam, health relapses, the crushing disappointment of meeting their favourite author (Dafoe) and heartbreak.

Before I start allow me to hand this over.

That's right, I'm relinquishing my man card. It seems only right given that this film is apparently aimed at 14-year-old girls and yet not only did I willingly watch it, not only did I enjoy it but yes I may even have teared up a little bit (don't judge me! I'm in a vulnerable place right now.)

Yes it has some glaring flaws but on the whole I just found it to be a rather tender and touching film that had a witty script and was beautifully performed. Addressing the flaws first, the film does have a tendency towards cheesiness, although to be fair I don't think it ever really crosses over into full-on melodrama. Perhaps the biggest issue is that it can come across as rather pretentious at times, this is particularly true of the Augustus Waters character who really doesn't talk like any 18-year-old guy I've ever come across. To call him precocious wouldn't come close to covering it. He talks in a very literal, over-written style. So many of the sentiments that come out of his mouth aim to be words of deep wisdom but instead feel like mere platitudes; so much so that I think he could have a good sideline as a writer of fortunes for fortune cookies. Although to be fair to him, with a name like Augustus Waters your parents have pretty much pushed you in the direction of pretentious douche right from the start!

Even if his character is written somewhat questionably Ansel Elgort is largely able to overcome it thanks to a natural performance of easygoing charm, even if he does struggle to sell some of the character's more precious dialogue. Terrifically impressive also was Laura Dern as the mother of the cancer-stricken Hazel. I think she does a great job of conveying what it must be like to be a parent to a terminally ill child. She does her best to stay strong and positive for her child but we can see just how fragile she is, fearful that every second will be her daughter's last; caught between trying to ensure she lives every moment to its fullest but also trying to protect her. Along with Sam Trammell as her husband, Dern shares some lovely, really honest feeling scenes with Hazel. They actually make for some of the best and most touching scenes of the whole movie.

The undoubted star of the film is in no doubt however, it's Shailene Woodley. I've got to say that I kind of fell in love with her during the duration of the film. To begin with she remains physically attractive despite sporting breathing tubes for pretty much the entire time, but it's a lot more than that, it's to do with her performance and the qualities she imbues Hazel with. She captures a beautiful balance between the fear and fragility that comes with her condition, but also the great strength and courage she tackles it with. She really is just adorable, as is the relationship between her and Elgort's Augustus. They have such a sweet chemistry together. Since the film's release people have been bandying her name about in regards to the possibility of an Oscar nomination. Due to the nature of the film itself I'm not sure it will happen, but if it did I certainly wouldn't complain because I think she is rather excellent.

Film Trivia Snippets - In Divergent, also released in 2014, Shailene Woodley and Ansel Elgort played brother and sister, while here they played boyfriend and girlfriend. Kinky! /// While filming in Amsterdam there was a scene featuring Woodley and Elgort sitting on a bench down by the canal. On the 2nd of July, following the film's cinema release, city officials confirmed that they bench had gone missing, presumably stolen by a fan. /// The author of The Fault in Our Stars, John Green, got his inspiration for the character of Hazel from a young girl he met called Esther Earl who had been diagnosed with thyroid cancer. They met at a Harry Potter convention in 2009 when Green noticed her carrying an oxygen tank. Green came to admire and like her because of some of the videos she put up on Youtube, as well as her humour and openness. From the time they met to her death in 2010 at the age of 16, they frequently exchanged correspondence. Green has stated that “I could never have written The Fault in Our Stars without knowing Esther. Every word on that book depends on her.” /// John Green actually has a cameo in the film. In one scene at an airport Shailene Woodley talks to a yonng girl who is interested in her breathing tube and oxygen tank. The girl's father is played by John Green. /// In an effort to land the part of Hazel, Shailene Woodley wrote impassioned letters to both the author, John Green and director Josh Boone. "If I'm passionate about something, I'll do everything I can to try to be a part of it," Woodley asserts. Green had not initially pictured Woodley for the role, instead seeing Mae Whitman, but when she read for the role he “was blown away”, admitting that “we were all crying. It was actually sort of bad,” he laughs. “But it was hers from that moment on.”
If there was one thing that I feel perhaps holds the film back a touch it is the direction of the inexperienced Josh Boone. At times I feel he struggles with the pacing and on occasion the tone. He seems much more comfortable in the first half when the film plays more like a quirky, offbeat romantic comedy, than he does when things take a darker, more sombre turn. And the actual look of the film is pretty unremarkable; it could easily pass for some made-for-TV movie. Faring better I feel is the script of Scott Neustadter and Michael Weber. Setting aside the issues over some of Augustus' dialogue I found it quite a sharp, witty offering. In the opening hour the film comes off sort of like a teen cancer version of (500) Days of Summer, which isn't all that surprising given that Neustadter and Weber were responsible for that film's script as well. Their script helps to ensure that the film avoids being as depressing as you may expect; that's because the film is not so much about grief because it unfolds with the characters in a place of acceptance. Hazel and Augustus have come to terms with their mortality and openly talk about their thoughts on the afterlife and discuss their respective eulogies. The film may have a touch of manipulation to it, but they help to keep it from ever crossing over into exploitation.

One of the main factors which will determine people's enjoyment, or lack thereof, is how they feel the issue of cancer is addressed and portrayed. I'm a little bit torn on it. On the one hand I'm sure some people will feel it rather glamorises cancer. After all while we see background characters clearly suffering the effects of cancer; bald people who are obviously undergoing chemotherapy or their friend who loses his eyes, Hazel and Augustus themselves could probably still be strutting their stuff in the latest Gap ad. The film does however show some constant consequences of the disease; for example we never see Hazel without the breathing tube protruding from her nose and frequently see the difficulties she has lugging about her oxygen tank. In the grand scheme of things however these struggles seem rather minor inconveniences of such a horrible disease. When it comes to Hazel the more serious ramifications of her cancer are seen in flashbacks to her childhood, and are presented in slow motion and soft focus to minimise the power and pain. What this does mean though is that towards the end of the film when one of them does suffer a serious episode and it is presented in a slightly more graphic, matter-of-a-fact way the contrast means that it comes across as quite distressing and upsetting.

I'm aware that everyone else on her may well hate this film, and on another day I myself may not be all that keen on it. But on this particular viewing I feel I was just in the right mood and place for it. I was perhaps in a bit of a low mood and was just looking for something sweet and touching. I was open to being emotionally manipulated. And even if I didn't actually cry I think it sort of played into that thing of how it can be good and cathartic to cry. While I didn't, just the fact that it made me feel something and made some kind of emotional connection with me was enough.

So come on, bring on the hate!

Conclusion - I have been very fortunate in that neither myself or anyone I know has been diagnosed with cancer. Had I had not been so lucky then perhaps I would have felt differently about this film and its portrayal of the disease and those affected by it. As it is I found The Fault in Our Stars to be a witty, humorous, acerbic and touching film. It also happens to be a very well-acted piece, topped off by a terrific performance from Shailene Woodley that confirms her ascent to stardom.

PS - Just heard back from the Association of Men and they have accepted my resignation.

Good review Jaydee, you may have even gotten me to give this one a shot. Oh, and don't worry about that man card. at least you had one once.

If anyone else had written a review for The Fault in Our Stars, I doubt I would have read it, but I'll make an exception for the best reviewer on the forum.

However, to raise your level of testosterone back up to a respectable level, I think you need to review a Van Damme, Stallone or Schwarzenegger movie next.

I went ahead and read Fault in our Stars although normally I don't read reviews for movies I haven't read yet. I just have no intention of ever seeing this movie.

Everything you wrote confirms what I thought I wouldn't like about it and having had someone close to me die from cancer, I think this movie would be like a sand spur in my foot. Annoying and painful to step on.

Your review is well written, but didn't change my opinion that the movie looks like a whole lot of hokey sentimentalism. Kind of like Twilight for cancer.

Wait a minute. Vampire cancer!!! Seriously guys, I can't bear to do it but someone write a YA book about teenage vampires that get this form of vampiric cancer. There is a cure but you have to drain the blood of a tomboyish, but very hot, virgin with a penchant for spouting very meaningful one liners to do so. Love ensues, but the vampire would rather die than to have to kill the girl he loves. You could call in it , "The Fault in My Teeth." You'll make a million.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
When are you gonna do a review that isn't totally gay? (Just kidding don't bite)

Zatoichi?

Not a movie of your usual fare, but still a good review.

If anyone else had written a review for The Fault in Our Stars, I doubt I would have read it, but I'll make an exception for the best reviewer on the forum.

However, to raise your level of testosterone back up to a respectable level, I think you need to review a Van Damme, Stallone or Schwarzenegger movie next.
There is wisdom in the Captain's words.

Wait a minute. Vampire cancer!!! Seriously guys, I can't bear to do it but someone write a YA book about teenage vampires that get this form of vampiric cancer. There is a cure but you have to drain the blood of a tomboyish, but very hot, virgin with a penchant for spouting very meaningful one liners to do so. Love ensues, but the vampire would rather die than to have to kill the girl he loves. You could call in it , "The Fault in My Teeth." You'll make a million.
Shhhh G-Dog. You've got to keep an idea like that quiet. That is pure gold that you're just giving away. Wait till you've got it copyrighted.

Nice to see I've introduced people to and perhaps interested them in watching Odd Thomas. Although I always dread people watching something based on my word, hating it and then blaming me!

Well thank you very much good sir. Good form. A tip of the hat to you

Originally Posted by Captain Spaulding
There is wisdom in the Captain's words.
Well I may just have something that would fit the bill for you both. It's actually quite a recent watch and review so it would be jumping the big long queue of reviews I have in storage but if it's my manliness that is on the line I may just have to do so. Will try and get it up later