The Adventures of Tintin

Tools    

BANNED
Originally posted by Yoda
Jesus may love you, but everyone else finds you unbearable.

1 Peter, 2:15 - "For so is the will of God, that with well doing ye may put to silence the ignorance of foolish men."

Interesting to know that you think of yourself as a prophet, though. The delusion reaches new heights.
Firstly, speak for yourself. Jesus does indeed love me, I am glad to say, and, I'm sure, many other people do too. You may not like me, and that, I can live with, frankly. (In fact, if I discovered that someone as narrow-minded and provincial as yourself actually liked me, I would be troubled and disturbed at that knowledge!)

Interesting that you admit yourself as being an "ignorant, foolish man"! Your words, not mine!

Finally, I am not delusional, nor do I think of myself as a prophet. I do think of myself as a well-meaning average human being and a sincere Christian who is being unfairly targeted, persecuted and ruthlessly HOUNDED by people who either do not understand me or are just mindlessly antagonistic towards me for no particular reason or are just mindlessly antagonistic and obnoxious in general.

Originally posted by MinionTV
Tintin is *****.
Au contraire, monsieur! Tintin (pronounced "Than-than") is artistic socio-political satire, hilarious situational comedy, dramatic adventure, brilliant characterization, tight and original plotting and superb artwork at its finest! You need to read some of these titles before you pass judgment on them. Tintin is the very best of European BD (Bande Desinee--the French term for the cartoon strip) and, in fact, it is thanks to Tintin that the BD is critically regarded as a serious art form in Europe, unlike the American comic strip, which is still largely associated with juvenile literature or escapist fantasy.

Originally posted by Django
Firstly, speak for yourself. Jesus does indeed love me, I am glad to say, and, I'm sure, many other people do too. You may not like me, and that, I can live with, frankly. (In fact, if I discovered that someone as narrow-minded and provincial as yourself actually liked me, I would be troubled and disturbed at that knowledge!)
The verse you quoted referred to rewarding people who were insulted for their belief in God...not people insulted for their patronizing attitude and flimsy arguments.

Interesting that you admit yourself as being an "ignorant, foolish man"! Your words, not mine!
It refers to you, bucko.

Finally, I am not delusional, nor do I think of myself as a prophet. I do think of myself as a well-meaning average human being and a sincere Christian who is being unfairly targeted, persecuted and ruthlessly HOUNDED by people who either do not understand me or are just mindlessly antagonistic towards me for no particular reason or are just mindlessly antagonistic and obnoxious in general.
You've been given numerous reasons for the intense dislike almost everyone here holds for you. Take your Ritalin.

Au contraire, monsieur! Tintin (pronounced "Than-than") is artistic socio-political satire, hilarious situational comedy, dramatic adventure, brilliant characterization, tight and original plotting and superb artwork at its finest! You need to read some of these titles before you pass judgment on them. Tintin is the very best of European BD (Bande Desinee--the French term for the cartoon strip) and, in fact, it is thanks to Tintin that the BD is critically regarded as a serious art form in Europe, unlike the American comic strip, which is still associated with juvenile literature or escapist fantasy.
I don't even know you and I don't like you.

But you are absolutely right with the above.

However, I for one hope there is never another Tintin comic strip drawn. It's Herge's strip, and it wouldn't be Tintin if it wasn't done by Herge.

BANNED

The verse you quoted referred to rewarding people who were insulted for their belief in God...not people insulted for their patronizing attitude and flimsy arguments.
Well, I believe in God and I am being insulted. Also, I do not have a patronizing attitude, nor are my arguments flimsy. Your hostility towards me is totally irrational, coming from a supposedly "rational" person who makes a big deal out of how logical he is.

It refers to you, bucko.
Well, in the context quoted above, it appears to refer to YOU, at least from where I stand!

You've been given numerous reasons for the intense dislike almost everyone here holds for you. Take your Ritalin.
A dislike that is suspect for the following reasons:
1) A poll posted by me indicated a healthy majority of support for me.
2) A seemingly universal dislike that comes close on the heels of an obvious hate-campaign by you, Silver Bullet/Matt and your other cronies designed to make me unpopular--a campaign that has involved such dubious practices as editing my posts (which is still happening even now), deleting my threads, unfairly singling me out for hostile, nitpicky and antagonistic cross-examinations, deliberately distorting and misinterpreting my words, ceaselessly firing insults and hateful slander at me, creating fake identities based on mine in an attempt to ridicule me and, finally, making insulting racist comments about my heritage (which is in particular bad taste). I, on the other hand, have tried to remain cool and rational in the face of this unwarranted hostility, and I am doing so all the more right now--except for the couple of times when I lost my temper at Silver Bullet's caustic antagonism directed at me.
3) A dislike that is apparently more or less exclusively expressed by you. It seems that you continue to repeatedly express your hatred and enmity towards me, while I continue to remain conciliatory and pacific. The net result seems to be that your blind, monotonous repitition of hateful comments seems to be brainwashing people into hating me. Just a thought.
4) Your own racism, which you have expressed through any number of hostile comments directed at me. Need I mention that, at one time, you mentioned that you have previously been accused of being a member of the Ku Klux Klan? I can see why, at this point! You are so brutally biased and twisted in your thinking that it seems a foregone conclusion, if it isn't an actual fact.

Originally posted by Sullivan

I don't even know you and I don't like you.

But you are absolutely right with the above.

However, I for one hope there is never another Tintin comic strip drawn. It's Herge's strip, and it wouldn't be Tintin if it wasn't done by Herge.
If you hate me without knowing me, then your hatred is obviously irrational because there is no basis for it. That is my point exactly. Whatever hatred there is against me out there seems to be irrational, baseless hatred without any cause or reason--blind, meaningless hatred, almost as if the people have been brainwashed into a particular frame of mind, kind of in the Orwellian mode. cf. The hate rallies from Orwell's 1984--more evidence supporting my claim that Yoda has resorted to Orwellian tactics in his ongoing campaign to defame me and make me unpopular, as cited above.

Thanks for your agreement with my brief critical evaluation of Herge's Tintin. On the other hand, I don't see how a continuation of Tintin by other artists and writers would in any way undermine the quality of Herge's works. There are already some Tintin books out there by other authors, such as the film adaptations of Le Toison d'Or and Le Lac des Requins which are definitely comparable, in quality, with the Herge originals, even if they don't quite measure up. There are also a couple of completed versions of L'Alph-Art out there which measure up to Herge's albums in quality--L'Alph-Art being Herge's final, incomplete Tintin album. Also, the later Tintin albums were largely illustrated by "Studios Herge" rather than by Herge himself--artists like Bob de Moor (who drew a lot of the Le Lac des Requins album, incidentally) were responsible for the way Tintin looks in the later albums, not so much Herge himself. The original Tintin was exclusively drawn by Herge himself, but the later albums were collaborative works. I think other artists deserve the opportunity of rendering their version of the Tintin universe. In fact, there is a school of thought and opinion in France and Belgium that claims that Tintin is being held hostage by Nick and Fanny Rodwell--the current trustees of Herge's works. They are calling for an attempt to liberate Tintin from the control of these trustees! Check out this link: "Liberons Tintin!" (Don't forget to click the arrows to navigate through the pages!)

If you hate me without knowing me, then your hatred is obviously irrational because there is no basis for it. That is my point exactly. Whatever hatred there is against me out there seems to be irrational, baseless hatred without any cause or reason--blind, meaningless hatred, almost as if the people have been brainwashed into a particular frame of mind, kind of in the Orwellian mode. cf. The hate rallies from Orwell's 1984--more evidence supporting my claim that Yoda has resorted to Orwellian tactics in his ongoing campaign to defame me and make me unpopular, as cited above.
I didn't say I hated you. I just said I didn't like you. In fact, I've figured out that what I don't like is your avatar.

Thanks for your agreement with my brief critical evaluation of Herge's Tintin. On the other hand, I don't see how a continuation of Tintin by other artists and writers would in any way undermine the quality of Herge's works. <snip>
It would undermine Herge's work because Herge did not want the comic continued after his death. Where I come from, you respect an artist's wishes with regards to his work. It is, after all, his creation.

To do otherwise in the name of consumerism or personal gratification is just wrong.

I don't hate you dude. I just think that we're all dicks in denial. YOU MAKE ME SEE IT IN MYSELF!!
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Well, I believe in God and I am being insulted. Also, I do not have a patronizing attitude, nor are my arguments flimsy. Your hostility towards me is totally irrational, coming from a supposedly "rational" person who makes a big deal out of how logical he is.
I repeat: the verse refers to people being persecuted for their beliefs. Not people with beliefs being persecuted.

A dislike that is suspect for the following reasons:
1) A poll posted by me indicated a healthy majority of support for me.
Show me a single person who I've maliciously turned against you.

2) A seemingly universal dislike that comes close on the heels of an obvious hate-campaign by you, Silver Bullet/Matt and your other cronies designed to make me unpopular--a campaign that has involved such dubious practices as editing my posts (which is still happening even now), deleting my threads, unfairly singling me out for hostile, nitpicky and antagonistic cross-examinations, deliberately distorting and misinterpreting my words, ceaselessly firing insults and hateful slander at me, creating fake identities based on mine in an attempt to ridicule me and, finally, making insulting racist comments about my heritage (which is in particular bad taste). I, on the other hand, have tried to remain cool and rational in the face of this unwarranted hostility, and I am doing so all the more right now--except for the couple of times when I lost my temper at Silver Bullet's caustic antagonism directed at me.
You're hopeless.

3) A dislike that is apparently more or less exclusively expressed by you. It seems that you continue to repeatedly express your hatred and enmity towards me, while I continue to remain conciliatory and pacific. The net result seems to be that your blind, monotonous repitition of hateful comments seems to be brainwashing people into hating me. Just a thought.
I'm not anywhere near the only one who's "expressed dislike" towards you, and I've got a ton of your posts on call that are far from "conciliatory and pacific."

4) Your own racism, which you have expressed through any number of hostile comments directed at me. Need I mention that, at one time, you mentioned that you have previously been accused of being a member of the Ku Klux Klan? I can see why, at this point! You are so brutally biased and twisted in your thinking that it seems a foregone conclusion, if it isn't an actual fact.
Show me one racist comment. Go ahead.

I don't hate you. I don't care about you enough to hate you. But I do dislike you based on the persona you have presented, and haven't failed to elaborate on specifics.

If you want a summary, here it is: you are patronizing towards people, you are routinely dishonest, you make reckless claims that you are unable to defend, you don't admit you're wrong when confronted about said claims, you are stunningly self-interested, and you refuse to consider the possibility that you alone are to blame for the situation you are in.

Just to name a few.

Django, GIVE IT A REST, MAN!!!! You are so far off base about Yoda, it's quite simply, ridiculous.

Thank you, my loyal minio...er...I mean...Brian.
Your welcome Maste...er, I mead Y-y-odaaa.

BANNED

I didn't say I hated you. I just said I didn't like you. In fact, I've figured out that what I don't like is your avatar.
Hey, don't knock Sly Stallone, man!

It would undermine Herge's work because Herge did not want the comic continued after his death. Where I come from, you respect an artist's wishes with regards to his work. It is, after all, his creation.

To do otherwise in the name of consumerism or personal gratification is just wrong.
I don't think it has anything to do with consumerism. I think it has to do with the fact that the vast majority of the readership is hungering for more Tintin adventures--more material featuring beloved characters in hilarious satirical exploits. I think it's somewhat selfish for an artist to take his creation with him to his grave. True, he created it, but that doesn't give him the right to kill it! The readership wants more, surely they have the right to have their demands gratified! Sure, everyone wants to respect Herge's wishes, but, at the same time, I think the extreme popularity of the characters, at least in this case, is enough to override the author's wishes. At the same time, though, considering the fact that the later Tintin was a collaborative effort and not exclusively Herge's creation and, therefore, markedly differentiated from the original (esp. pre-war) Tintin, and also originally titled "The New Adventures of Tintin", that should give the collaborators a stake in the project. Point is, pretty much everyone wants more Tintin. I just think it's selfish for the author to take his creation with him to his grave. New, fresh adventures of Tintin could be created by various authors as an hommage to Herge, under a new series title, or as parodies, and so markedly differentiated from the original series by Herge. I think the trustees should give their permission for a new series of works by diverse authorship using Herge's characters, but titled differently, so as to preserve the integrity of the original series. Furthermore, Georges Remi, Jr. (Herge's nephew) has this to say: ARTICLE.

Originally posted by LordSlaytan
I don't hate you dude. I just think that we're all dicks in denial. YOU MAKE ME SEE IT IN MYSELF!!
Hey, no hard feelings, bub! I don't hate you for it.

I repeat: the verse refers to people being persecuted for their beliefs. Not people with beliefs being persecuted.
Well, I'm being persecuted for my beliefs here. Maybe not my religious beliefs, but certainly for my socio-political beliefs and conscience, which are inspired, I might add, by my religious beliefs. In essence, you seem to be arguing that it is okay to persecute people for non-religious beliefs, but not okay to persecute them for religious beliefs. It sounds to me a lot like an argument that Torquemada (Grand Inquisitor of the Spanish Inquisition) (no offense intended) might have used to justify his persecution of Christopher Columbus, for example.

Show me a single person who I've maliciously turned against you.
Surely you're not serious! Your words have pretty much turned everybody against me, from where I stand!

You're hopeless.
No comment.

I'm not anywhere near the only one who's "expressed dislike" towards you, and I've got a ton of your posts on call that are far from "conciliatory and pacific."
Well, I'm not the one attacking my opponents with insults and personal detractions. I may have lost my temper on a few occasions, but on the whole, I've tried to be reasonable.

Show me one racist comment. Go ahead.
Well, here's one. (Scroll all the way down).

I don't hate you. I don't care about you enough to hate you. But I do dislike you based on the persona you have presented, and haven't failed to elaborate on specifics.

If you want a summary, here it is: you are patronizing towards people, you are routinely dishonest, you make reckless claims that you are unable to defend, you don't admit you're wrong when confronted about said claims, you are stunningly self-interested, and you refuse to consider the possibility that you alone are to blame for the situation you are in.

Just to name a few.
I disagree with your assessment of me. Basically, what you are doing is taking what I say far too seriously. Most of your accusations are made based on comments posted by me that are intended to be tongue-in-cheek and light-hearted. Maybe I haven't done a very good job of conveying that--maybe I should have posted a *wink* () emoticon to convey that fact. Anyway, if you claim that my assessment of you is inaccurate (and it might well be), then your assessment of me is equally way off.

Originally posted by LordSlaytan
Django, GIVE IT A REST, MAN!!!! You are so far off base about Yoda, it's quite simply, ridiculous.
Sorry. I don't know Yoda personally. If I did, my assessment of him might well be different. As it is, my comments are based on his posts. I have developed a mental image of Yoda based on the things he has been saying, and my comments were directed primarily against that mental image. I have been imagining him as a pompous, arrogant conservative--a stuffed shirt. At least, that's the mental impression his words have been conveying to me in my mind. I can only say that if my assessment of Yoda's actual personality, based on his words, is inaccurate, then I apologize for that. However, by that same token, his assessment of my personality is wildly inaccurate. I have no enmity towards Yoda--I just object to the sort of things he and Silver Bullet have done in the past--and that Silver Bullet is still doing, incidentally. However, I'm willing to let all this slide and shake hands.

I think it's somewhat selfish for an artist to take his creation with him to his grave.
That is so wrong. That is artistic communism, Uday.

I just object to the sort of things he and Silver Bullet have done in the past--and that Silver Bullet is still doing, incidentally.
You came here with no intention to do anything than make yourself out to be some bona fide saviour of the people. You are getting exactly what you deserve. We hoped to bring you down a peg or two as a result, but the love you have yourself is way too strong, and God knows why. We admit when we are wrong, you know, but you believe unwaveringly that you are always right. Your opinion is not always the majority. Ours is not always the majority either, but in this case it really, really is. You have to face that and move on.

BANNED
Originally posted by The Silver Bullet

That is so wrong. That is artistic communism, Uday.
I disagree. First of all, I don't know what you mean my "artistic communism"! My point is that when an artist creates narrative characters which are so vivid and exceptional that they almost take on a life of their own and come to be beloved in their own right, he doesn't have the right to selfishly kill them off on account of his own death! The artist may pass on, but the characters live on! That is to say, in the imaginations of others, who also have the right to express their interpretations of the characters, at least in hommage to the creator. I don't see how this amounts to "artistic communism"!

Originally posted by The Silver Bullet

You came here with no intention to do anything than make yourself out to be some bona fide saviour of the people. You are getting exactly what you deserve. We hoped to bring you down a peg or two as a result, but the love you have yourself is way too strong, and God knows why. We admit when we are wrong, you know, but you believe unwaveringly that you are always right. Your opinion is not always the majority. Ours is not always the majority either, but in this case it really, really is. You have to face that and move on.
I don't know what compels you to contrive such ridiculous allegations about me, Matt! Totally absurd. I came on board simply to express myself and commune with other people. Sadly, however, your relentless antagonism and underhanded tactics have succeeded in making me unpopular. You're not trying to "take me down a peg or two"--you're trying to hound me out of here, and you yourself have admitted it on numerous occasions! I don't claim to be always right. On the other hand, you and Yoda seem to be not so much interested in engaging in constructive discussion as in verbally tearing down, humiliating and ridiculing your opponents. It seems to me that you are motivated by an irrational antagonism towards me that defies my own comprehension. Why you must persist in endlessly hounding me, I have yet to understand.

BANNED
Check this out:
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	19th_hole.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	1135  

BANNED
And this one:
Attachments

Name:	chappaqua.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	1136  

BANNED
Here's another title in the "series":
Attachments

Name:	conundrum.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	1137  

BANNED
Another hilarious one:
Attachments

Name:	library.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	1138  

BANNED
And the final title in the "series", I believe:
Attachments

Name:	quest.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	1139  

Listen, dear Persons,

Not to be too critical here, but if you read back over this thread, you'll have to admit that a lot of it sounds intensely juve and paranoid. Maybe this person does make unpleasing remarks, but . . . who is listening? Who's reading? Who is resenting stuff here. Hey --- you guys never listen to ME forpetesake, & I generally say pleasant and harmless things. How come you're getting all hot and bothered about this comic-book enthusiast? His views are not your own views, perhaps, but his liberty does not end until the tip of your nose begin, buds. Live and let live. Even jerks are entitlef to get their say.

Love and kisses to you all,
Your adoring fan,
Jozie

I must become Caligari..!
I love tin tin. Very Funny.
It's a god-awful small affair, To the girl with, the mousy hair, But her mummy is yelling "No", and her daddy has told her to go, But her friend is nowhere to be seen, Now she walks through her sunken dream, To the seat with the clearest view, And she's hooked to the silver screen, But the film is a saddening bore, For she's lived it ten times or more...