Movie Tab II

Tools    

The Return (Andrey Zvyagintsev, 2003)
-

Who are you and what have you done with our friend Mark?
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I Wanna Be Loved By You
Awesome film experiences today.

Crimes and Misdemeanors (1989), Dir. Woody Allen -
+

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brazil (1985), Dir. Terry Gilliam -

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Who are you and what have you done with our friend Mark?
He said he likes The Return more than any Tarkovsky, so it may be still him.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Stuck in bed after a stroke with the TV on 24/7. Plus I've got a few subscription services too. That's the real story. Minio has some alternative universe story which isn't true but it's what some people prefer to believe. I can't help it.
Well, I hope you're keeping a running total, because I'm going to be curious what your yearly total ends up being.

I Wanna Be Loved By You
The Illusionist (2010), Dir. Sylvain Chomet -
+

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Under the Skin (2013), Dir. Jonathan Glazer -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (1966), Dir. Mike Nichols -
+

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Jewel Robbery (William Dieterle, 1932)
+
The Secret of Dr. Kildaire (Harold S. Bucquet, 1939)

The I Don’t Care Girl (Lloyd Bacon, 1951)
-
The Secret of NIMH (Don Bluth, 1982)

A widowed mouse learns the truth of what happened to her husband and a group of rats during secret experiments.
The Woods (Lucky McKee, 2006)

Freaks (Tod Browning, 1932)
+
The Guns of Navarone (J. Lee Thompson, 1961)
-
Fail-Safe (Sidney Lumet, 1964)
+

American President Henry Fonda prepares to call the Soviet Premier to inform him of the horrible accident which may lead to nuclear annihilation.
Walk on the Wild Side (Edward Dmytryk, 1964)

Madhouse (Jim Clark, 1974)

Frownland (Ronald Bronstein, 2007)

Belle du Jour (Luis Bunuel, 1967)

Young wife Catherine Deneuve is frigid with her husband but works at a bordello in the afternoons in this surrealistic classic.
Reincarnation aka Rinne (Takashi Shimizu, 2005)

The Smiling Ghost (Lewis Seiler, 1941)

Dexterity (David Miller, 1937)

J. Edgar (Clint Eastwood, 2011)

Director of the F.B.I. J. Edgar Hoover (Leonardo DiCaprio) collects a massive amount of info on American citizens and presides over the major criminal events of the 20th century, but little is known of his relationship with Assistant Director and confidante Clyde Tolson (Armie Hammer).
Goin’ South (Jack Nicholson, 1978)

The Shooting (Monte Hellman, 1966)

Whispers (Basil Wrangell, 1941)

Roma (Federico Fellini, 1972)
+

Fellini's kaleidoscopic love letter to the city of his past and present, satirizing his own cinema and the Catholic Church, among other targets.

How come you disliked it that much?
You know, my first thought was that the sentimentality and didactic structure were completely dumb and lazy. And they are. The cliche where someone commits some fraud but makes good by learning/teaching a valuable lesson about honesty and being yourself seems to be a prerequisite in paint-by-numbers affairs like this, as opposed to the sort of well-meaning rebellion they preach. It's so common it's not even interesting or provocative to point out the irony anymore. (Cue some self-styled voice of reason to point out that "avant garde" cinema has its own set of cliches and ironies, its own didactic fixations, thereby neatly changing the subject.)

But I have a more fundamental and personal issue with School of Rock; which is that even if I played along and accepted the message of "rock", pretended to care about the characters, to the extent that it's tempered by the legitimate concerns of "school" (The stuffed-shirt administrator is sympathetic too!) it just makes the comedy kind of bland and wishy-washy. I say that's a more personal complaint because I'm at least self-aware enough to recognize that I often find my sense of humor in conflict with my desire for nuance. I don't experience too much cognitive dissonance when rating Tenacious D higher even though it's just as stupid and has even less of a point, though. In terms of comedy, I simply prefer and find funnier non-sympathetic caricatures and their nonsensical worldviews to ones who are humanized via formulaic sentimentality. In that sense "sympathy" is a dirty word to me, but that's okay because I'm "being myself"; now if only I could learn that important life lesson about caring, I'd be able to appreciate pablum like School of Rock.

I Wanna Be Loved By You
Out of Sight (1998), Dir. Steven Soderbergh -
+

Dead Poets Society (1989), Dir. Peter Weir -

Spring Breakers (2012), Dir. Harmony Korine -
+

I’m just the espresso
Watched quite a few movies this week so I'm just gonna leave this here.

Play Misty For Me (1971)

Jane Eyre (2011)

Grace of Monaco (2014)

Six Days Seven Nights (1998)

Elephant (2003)

Roman Holiday (1953)

His Wedding Night (1917)

Suspicion (1941)

Reservoir Dogs *rewatch (1992)

The Finger Points (John Francis Dillon, 1931)

Dance of the Dead (Gregg Bishop, 2008)

Ann Carver’s Profession (Edward Buzzell, 1933)

Key Largo (John Huston, 1948)

WWII widow Lauren Bacall is happy to see her husband's commanding officer Humphrey Bogart, but they both have to deal with mobster Edward G. Robinson and his gang.
O’Shaughnessy’s Boy (Richard Boleslawski, 1935)

Hidden (M.R. [Antoine Thomas], 2011)

Boy of the Streets (William Nigh, 1937)

A Star Is Born (George Cukor, 1954)

Judy Garland sings how she was born in a trunk in the Princess Theatre in Pocatello, Idaho.
Gallant Sons (William Ryan, 1940)

Neptune Mysteries (No Director Listed, 1935)

The Navy Comes Through (A. Edward Sutherland, 1942)

American Psycho (Mary Harron, 2000)

Wall Street executive Christian Bale knows it's hip to be square, especially when you're an amoral psycho killer.
Survival of the Dead (George A. Romero, 2009)

Harper (Jack Smight, 1966)

The Palomino (Ray Nazarro, 1950)

Youssou N'dour: I Bring What I Love (Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi, 2008)
-

Senegalese singer Youssou N'dour records an album of Islamic-themed songs which center on the religion's inclusiveness He tours the world to huge crowds and acclaim, but his homeland treats him as a pariah for allegedly insulting Islam and its prophets.
The Broken Land (John Bushelman, 1962)

When a Feller Needs a Friend (Harry Pollard, 1932)

A Year of the Quiet Sun (Krzysztof Zanussi, 1984)

Frank (Leonard Abrahamson, 2014)

Eccentric singer Frank (Michael Fassbender) heads a group of possibly mentally-ill bandmates who enjoy their freedom until new keyboardist Domhnall Gleeson looks to gain them some popularity.

I don't know what's weirder: that they made a Frank Sidebottom movie, or that it stars Michael Fassbender as Frank. The trailer did not appeal to me but I'll check it out eventually.

I would love to hear your thoughts on Frank as well, Mark. The reviews I have heard have been quite mixed, which has made me want to see it all the more.

I Wanna Be Loved By You
Once Upon a Time in America (1984), Dir. Sergio Leone -

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Zero Theorem (2013), Dir. Terry Gilliam -
+

Frank is all about celebrating eccentricity over sanity. There really is no digging behind the characters and their illnesses, but the line between "normal" and "weird" is basically shown to be nonexistent except for how one copes with society. But I'm making the film sound too serious. The music is often enjoyable, although that's probably not the right word, and the performances are quite good. I would call it light-hearted whimsy which is often amusing but ultimately only hints at the despair underneath. I find it does just enough to be a worthwhile way to pass 90 minutes, but I can understand why others would love it or hate it. And no, I knew nothing of the real Frank beforehand, although the film incorporates the lives of Daniel Johnston and Captain Beefheart into the character, and I'm very familiar with them.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
It's got Fassbender, but you can't see his face! Not sure if I want to watch it...