Honestly, The Saddest Movie You've Ever Seen

Tools    

My Top 12 Tear-Jerking Tragedies:

"Phenomenon" (John Travolta, Kyra Sedgewick, Forest Whitaker, Robert Duvall) ... the sound of her crying
"Pay It Forward" (Haley Joel Osment, Helen Hunt, Kevin Spacey) ... the candle-light tribute
"City of Angels" (Nicolas Cage, Meg Ryan) ... when the soundtrack goes silent
"Courage Under Fire" (Meg Ryan, Denzel Washington) ... the honor ceremony
"Braveheart" (Mel Gibson, Sophie Marceau) ... her last attempt to save him
"Love Story" (Ali MacGraw, Ryan O'Neal) ... shakespear couldn't have done better
"Life Is Beautiful" (Roberto Benigni) ... a wonderful dad who does everything to protect his kid
"Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan" (William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy)... the bagpipes playing "Amzaing Grace"
"Moulin Rouge" (Nicole Kidman, Ewan McGregor) ... the end of the show
"Othello" 1995 (Laurence Fishburne) ... shakespear's best, fishburne's best
"Mask" (Eric Stoltz, Cher) ... wonderful performance based on a true story
"Boys Don't Cry" (Hillary Swank) ... the real-life tragedy of gay-hate

Another 12 For Honorable Mention:

"Frida" (Salma Hayek, Alfred Molina) ... a beautiful tragedy
"Dancer in The Dark" (Bjork) ... a selfless single mom who dreams of a better life
"Casualties of War", (Michael J Fox, Sean Penn) ... the girl walking on the tracks
"Joan of Arc" 1999 (Leelee Sobieski) ... probably Leelee's finest work
"BladeRunner" (Rutger Hauer's Soliloqy) ... more human than human
"Shakespear in Love" (Gwyneth Paltrow, Joseph Fiennes) ... soulmates separated by circumstance
"The Color of Night" (Bruce Willis, Jane March) ... the sudden release of a twisted emotional coil
"Billy Jack" (Tom Laughlin) ... the awful truth about race-hate toward Native Americans
"Erin Brockovich" (Julia Roberts) ... mostly just knowing that it was true
"Sweet November" (Keanau Reeves, Charlize Theron) ... the scene on the bridge
"I am Sam" (Sean Penn) ... a single dad trying to do the right thing
"Ghost" (Patrick Swayze, Demi Moore) ... Just looking at Demi Moore makes me wanna cry

I would have to say braveheart, the fox and the hound, and deep impact are the saddest movies to me.

Has to be Never Ending Story...having said that, I was only little at the time I watched it.

Comments on the flicks.
"Pass it forward" at the end were the boy dies. One of the best.

Messenger from Hades' Gate
My first semester of college, I was required to watch, "The Mission" with Robert De Niro. I have never wept so hard in my life, and in front of the whole Spanish class!

Billy Jack... the ice cream parlor scene & the beginning scene
The Last of the Mohicans… the cliff scene
Braveheart… the bagpipes get me every time
Dances With Wolves … the wolf
Big Fish… the ending

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

ending to west side story - no matter how many times i watch it
schindler's list
cast away - when he loses wilson
grave of the fireflies..memorable and haunting
dances with wolves..when two socks is shot
the end of the majestic..corny but gets me every time

I also think the last of the mohicans is one of the saddest movies.

oh and gladiator

The Green Lantern
'E.T'

'Forrest Gump' when he is talking to Jenny.
Let Those Who Worship Evil's Might.
Beware My Power...Green Lantern's Light"

--Green Lantern Oath--

"The Green Lantern Corps has battled against the forces of evil and chaos for a millennium. To serve is the ultimate honor."

A system of cells interlinked
I find The Last of the Mohicans to be quite moving. The last 15 minutes is some of my favorite footage/scoring out there. Blade Runner is in there too of course, as my sig would suggest

the passion of christ

Awakenings with Robert Deniro and Robin Williams. Watching Deniro slowly go back to his catatonic state just tears you up.

Originally Posted by Samantha Mulder
Disney's "The Fox and The Hound" had me crying the most.
It seems so many Disney films have a part that seemes aimed to rip your heart out! My granddaughter cried so hard when Bambi's mother died that my daughter said"that's it, she's not watching another Disney film until she's 18! What was it about Walt that made him include such heartbreak in what was supposed to be children's movies? My daughter's and I have both wondered about this (a cruel streak)? So I have to say "not only" The Fox and the Hound, for who can forget Bambi and Old Yeller?

Cyberdine Systems Model 101
Forrest Gump is one of the films that really made me cry. There's scenes in that movie that make you cry because of what's going on and there are parts that were just unexpected.

An American In Paris ****/*****
Once Upon A Time In China *****/*****
Father of the Bride ****/*****
Spartacus *****/*****
The Hidden Fortress ****/*****

You can view my review for each of those films at T-850's Reviews

West Side Story

Color Purple

Radio Flyers

Midnight Cowboy

Behind the Red Door (Real Tear Jerker, K.Sutherland mastered the role)

Forrest Gump

Losing Isaiah

Stepmom

and any movie that either a child dies or their parents.

Director Lars von Trier's Breaking the Waves
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

I am having a nervous breakdance
Pelle the Conqueror

The Bicycle Thief

Life Is Beautiful

Lilja 4-Ever

Dead Poets Society

Terms of Endearment

The Godfather Part III

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.