Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by jrs
Thanks.
np

Thanks for your comments and generous rep Caity

_S

Great review Sedai!

Before I gush on about how good you are at writing reviews, I want to point out that the novella came out before the advent of the Internet, and Mort’s story was long since been out of publication. It made more sense in the book. Anyway, I like the way you break down the different aspects of the movie for your overall rating, it is unique and entirely you. I doubt I’ll ever see this film until it is on cable, even though I like to pay for all things Depp, people should always help their favorite actors by adding to their overall worth. I just didn’t think the story should be made into a movie, too many King stories that are actually crappy get made just because of his name.

Okay, back to gushing…

You are great
You are swell
I don’t wish you to go to hell
But if you do
I’ll be there
I’ll be the one with burning hair
I’ll protect you
From the Baddie’s
But who’ll protect you from me?
…um, that’s all I’ve got

Keep up the good work, bro!
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Glad you enjoyed reading! I have kind of felt the same way about King's stuff as of late as well, but since my girlfriend is all about the Deppster at this point, seeing the film was required As for your poem, I don't think I can return the thought in kind, as my poetry is...well, not worth discussing

Thank you for the time/compliments! I appreciate it a lot!

_S

Cyberdine Systems Model 101
Nice reviews, Sedai! I really enjoyed reading the reviews that you have so far and I hope to see more

An American In Paris ****/*****
Once Upon A Time In China *****/*****
Father of the Bride ****/*****
Spartacus *****/*****
The Hidden Fortress ****/*****

You can view my review for each of those films at T-850's Reviews

Sunset Boulevard

Billy Wilder

Film Noir Classic review for your reading enjoyment.

Sunset Boulevard has one of the most memorable opening sequences in film history, or so I had heard many times. My father had pestered me for what seemed like ages about how I just must see Sunset Boulevard if I was to learn more about film noir, a genre we both seemed to have an affinity for. Far be it for me to let my pop down, I convinced him to lend me his copy of the DVD. Before the review itself, a comment or two about the DVD. The transfer, overall, looks fantastic. I did notice some artifacts occasionally, but they were negligable, not hindering my enjoyment of the film at all. The menus were simple and elegant, with a classic feel in line with the atmosphere of the film. A quality DVD by all means.

The film opens with a man, yet unnamed, floating face down in a swimming pool. A deadpan voiceover begins recalling the events that have led up to this poor unfortunate man ending up in this most unfortunate position. So begins one of the strangest dark comedy/noir I have ever seen. I really enjoyed this picture. So much so that I immediately watched it again, but a mere twenty four hours later. This was two weeks ago, and now that I have had time digest this masterpiece of dark celluloid, I would like to touch on a few of the most intriguing aspects of the film.

First off, Norma Desmond. I have to say one of the most interesting and memorable characters in any film I have seen. She was wonderful! Transforming from an aging, sad delusional to a catlike predator and back again in the space of three seconds. Her facial expressions were mesmerizing. Gloria Swanson is just absolutely perfect in this role, a role which, when compared to her real life career as an actress, draws a clever parallel. In Sunset Boulevard, Swanson plays the role of an aging silent film star, who was incredibly popular in the heyday of silent film, long forgotten in the time of “talkies”, or films with sound. In reality, Gloria Swanson was an aging film star of the silent era. In Sunset Boulevard, Desmond goes on incessantly about how sound has ruined pictures, and dialouge is unimportant, yet Swanson's dialouge is completely convincing and engaging. I loved the way the director toyed with this concept.

William Holden’s Joe Gillis is the classic noir hero. A down on his luck script writer attempting to elude a pair of hard case repo men, Gillis ducks his car into a driveway on Sunset Boulevard, and in true noir form, into the labyrinth from which there will be no escape. A grand, palatial estate stands before him, and a mysterious woman calls to him from a balcony above, the siren of his doom. His life quickly becomes inextricably linked to Desmonds, a tangled enmeshment of deceit and seduction. He is in her labyrinth, as well as the labyrinth of his own troubles and insecurities that keep him from escaping the house. Gillis certainly couldn’t be locked in the labyrinth, as this house has no locks, yet he can not, and will not escape.

The atmosphere, set design, lighting, and camera work were all spectacular. Billy Wilder knew exactly what he was doing and precisely what he was saying with his imagery and dialouge. Early in the film, while Norma gives Joe a tour of the house, they pass through a room with an old pipe organ against one wall. A dreary, hollow wail is emanating from the organ and Norma comments that a draft blows through the organ constantly and is the source of the sound. Brilliant foreshadowing and allegory on this woman’s madness, again I applaude Mr. Wilder. Creative scenes like this abound in this film. I found myself reminded of Everything from The Twilight Zone, to The Adams Family, to David Lynch. I would venture to guess this film has inspired countless films and television programs.

Honorable mention goes out to Eric Von Stroheim, who plays Ms. Desmond's butler; cold and solemn, he adds a spooky edge to many scenes. Nancy Olsen is also well cast as Betty Shaefer, the sole beacon of hope, trying with all her might to save poor Joe, but alas, this is film noir. Simply put, one of the best film noir I have yet to see.

eXistenZ

David Cronenberg

I had forgotten what it felt like to watch a Cronenberg film. It’s a difficult feeling to describe, a combination of interest, bewilderment, wonder and revulsion. The man has a style all his own, and in over 20 years of film making, hasn’t lost his ability to approach a subject, any subject, from a perspective all his own. This time the subject is video games.

Jennifer Jason Leigh plays Allegra Gellar, the worlds most sought after and creative video game designer, who is currently under the employ of the Antennae Corporation, developers of the quite unique and interesting bio-technology the eXistenZ game uses. The film opens on a control group who have been chosen to beta-test, or try out, what Gellar claims is a game like none before it. She goes on to explain that through the use of game pods, basically the controller, people will interface with the game organically, by connecting to the pod with an umbilical like cord that plugs directly into the players spine! Sound bizarre? Keep reading.

The control group plugs in, and begins to play. At this point I expected to be whisked into the game world in a special effects whirlwind. It didn’t happen. Instead, the camera focuses in on the pods and we begin to get the idea that these pods are alive. Not only alive, but in true Cronenberg form, sensual. The sexual overtones in this scene were overwhelming at first and got quite a few comments out of the people I was viewing the film with. The pods themselves were a flesh colored, knobby organism that undulated about in the lap of the player. The players don’t play long, as an assassin, bent on destroying Gellar and here creation in order to preserve true reality, springs his trap and produces a very strange looking organic gun that appears to be fashioned out of some sort of carcass.

At this point I started to get interested. Just what in the world was going on here?

A commotion ensues and the man running the control group grabs the door man, Ted Pikal (Jude Law), and tells him he must get Gellar, who has been shot in the arm, away to safety. The duo escape and drive away, looking for some sort of hideaway to gather themselves and figure out what has happened. Gellar tells Ted Pikal (Law’s character) that her game pod contains the only source copy of ExisTenZ in existence, and that in order to preserve it, she must play the game with someone friendly. The control group had been infiltrated and her game was in danger. Law reminds her she has been shot and should be worrying about things other than her game at this point, but here we start to get the idea that Gellar is a woman obsessed, and her game is all she cares about, and not just having her game, playing it. Law digs the bullet out only to discover it is a human tooth! Now I am really interested.

She continues to insist that she must play with a friendly, and play now. We soon discover that Pikal doesn’t have a bioport, as his fear of something going wrong on installation has stopped him from getting the minor surgery required. To Gellar this in unacceptable and she insists they venture out to find her friend, Gas (Willam Defoe), to get a port installed so they can play and save the source code. From here on, lots of twists and turns and alternate realities are portrayed, and I found myself enjoying the ride. Again I have to mention the constant bombardment of sexual ideas and imagery. A lot of the interaction between Pikal and Gellar has an intimate feel, and any interaction with the game pods has major sexual overtones. There are also a few gruesome surgery scenes with the biopods that are exceptionally repulsive, as well as various scenes where various objects get inserted into a lubed up bioport (the ports bearing a striking resemblance to other body orifices). Cronenberg at his best in other words.

When the viewer is finally brought into the game, it coincides with Law’s first insertion into the game and the scenes are handled quite well, with almost no special effects. For a film dealing with virtual reality to use little or no special effects and still deliver is quite impressive to me. Numerous other films have attempted virtual reality and overdone the alternate realities with effects (The Cell), instilling a most unrealistic feel in the audience. Cronenberg uses camera techniques for the reality shifts instead, and the effect is fabulous. I did pick up on what was going on with the realities pretty early on in the film, but feel the director intended this, as the clues were obviously meant to allude to the fact that something wasn’t right or real about the places some of the characters were going.

Most of the performances were well played and believable, even if the subject matter requires a stretch for believability. Law was great as usual, and Leigh surprised me somewhat, although she seemed better in some scenes more than others. DeFoe is always great, and in this film my only complaint being that he doesn’t get enough screen time.

I really enjoyed eXistenZ! Cronenberg combines gaming, emotion, neurosis, and corporate espionage into one intriguing picture. I felt it was slightly derivative of other films in the genre, but Cronenberg gives it enough style and such a unique tone that it I hardly noticed. So, If mind bending science fiction sprinkled with a healthy dose of social allegory as well as sexuality is something you might enjoy, I would definitely recommend eXistenZ.

Nice Review, BUT, I thought Existenz was absolutely awful, when I saw it years and years ago. I didn't know Dafoe and Eccleston were in it though, I think I may have to give it another go sometime.

Originally Posted by Philmster
Nice Review, BUT, I thought Existenz was absolutely awful, when I saw it years and years ago. I didn't know Dafoe and Eccleston were in it though, I think I may have to give it another go sometime.
I can see where your coming from, I can not STAND Naked Lunch, another Cronenberg film. Many feel it is genius and a wonderful film, but it is too absurd for me. eXistenZ is also absurd, but I liked it for some reason. I like mind benders so i think that had a lot to do with it.

_S

I did see it at a time in my life when I thought that Independance Day and the like were cinema's greatest achievements, a lot has changed since then, lol

Nice reviews, I must get a hold of Sunset Boulevard and watch it again, nice touch mentioning Erich von Stroheim, who, amongst others, had actually directed a silent movie starring Gloria Swanson in the twenties.
I liked both eXistenZ and Naked Lunch, but then again I'm a Cronenberg and William S. Burroughs fan.
A word of warning: I recommend not to watch any Cronenberg film, whilst under the influence of hallucinogens.
And sawdust restaurants with oyster shells

From The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock by T.S.Eliot

Originally Posted by bluebottle
Nice reviews, I must get a hold of Sunset Boulevard and watch it again, nice touch mentioning Erich von Stroheim, who, amongst others, had actually directed a silent movie starring Gloria Swanson in the twenties.
I liked both eXistenZ and Naked Lunch, but then again I'm a Cronenberg and William S. Burroughs fan.
A word of warning: I recommend not to watch any Cronenberg film, whilst under the influence of hallucinogens.

I'll keep that in mind. Are you a Gilliam fan as well? I feel most of his work is really amazing, with films like 12 Monkeys and Brazil topping the list. I liked some of the other Cronenberg films as well. I remember The Brood and Rabid disturbing me in my youth, as well as a later film called The Kindred, which reminded me of Cronenberg but he wasn't involved.

Thank you for reading and commenting on the reviews.

_S

Good advice. I've seen Naked Lunch 2/3 times and it still baffles me no end. Its an eternatl brainteaser.

Some smart reviews there Sedai.

Originally Posted by Revenant
Good advice. I've seen Naked Lunch 2/3 times and it still baffles me no end.
You think the movies tough to figure out? Try reading the book. I set fire to the damn thing.

Nice Sedai.

Originally Posted by Sedai
I'll keep that in mind. Are you a Gilliam fan as well? I feel most of his work is really amazing, with films like 12 Monkeys and Brazil topping the list. I liked some of the other Cronenberg films as well. I remember The Brood and Rabid disturbing me in my youth, as well as a later film called The Kindred, which reminded me of Cronenberg but he wasn't involved.

Thank you for reading and commenting on the reviews.

_S
Terry Gilliam is the best thing to come out of Monty Python, but I'm a bit inebriated at the moment,so I might have more say at another time.

Terry Gilliam is the best thing to come out of Monty Python, but I'm a bit inebriated at the moment...
I may or may not be as well

Thanks again for reading guys

_S

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
You think the movies tough to figure out? Try reading the book. I set fire to the damn thing.

... I'm pretty sure that is the one my dad threw in the garbage...

Great reviews Sedai... thanks...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

eXistenZ (1999)
Jennifer Jason Leigh, Jude Law, Willam DeFoe

Direction: David Cronenberg

I really enjoyed eXistenZ! Cronenberg combines gaming, emotion, neurosis, and corporate espionage into one intriguing picture. I felt it was slightly derivative of other films in the genre, but Cronenberg gives it enough style and such a unique tone that it I hardly noticed. So, If mind bending science fiction sprinkled with a healthy dose of social allegory as well as sexuality is something you might enjoy, I would definitely recommend eXistenZ.
Great review, I enjoyed this movie also.

Put me in your pocket...
Sunset Boulevard (1950)
William Holden, Gloria Swanson, Eric Von Stroheim
Direction: Billy Wilder
Nice review Sedai. I liked this one as well. Gloria Swanson was wonderful as was the rest of the cast.

Have you seen The Picture of Dorian Gray? That's another old black and white/film noir you might like.

Keep the reviews coming.

Mother! Oh, God! Mother! Blood!
Sunset Boulevard (1950)
William Holden, Gloria Swanson, Eric Von Stroheim

Direction: Billy Wilder

Writing/Direction

Production Design

Performances

Overall
I missed this review when you first posted it. I don't know if you read my "Quick Review" for Sunset Blvd. or not, but it wasn't completely favorable. I have received more criticism for my comments about this film through email and Yahoo! Groups forums than any other film. It seems that people LOVE this film to the point of not understanding how anyone could think it was so-so.

I do believe, however, that I need to give it more chances. Based on initial reaction, it was my least favorite Billy Wilder film out of about 7 or 8 I've seen. I may also be rebelling against the tremendous amount of praise and hype this film receives, which I was aware of going into the film.

No one is able to explain to me how Holden is able to narrate the film if he is already dead. Did you have a problem with this, Sedai? Is this an experimental device Wilder attempted to use to get the audience to forget his fate by the end of the film?
NEW (as of 1/24/05): Quick Reviews #10