Just watched The Happening...

Tools    

Caught the first showing of The Happening and the local movie house had two screens showing it and from where I live a movie taking two screens means a big summer movie. But when I got there, only a few people filled the seats and even less or next to nothing in the other showing. I can now see why..
Oh Night, what happened?! I've enjoyed all his movies from Wide Awake even loved Lady in the Water but really was'nt a fan of The Sixth Sense. The Happening just didnt happen for me and fell flat on it's face from bad acting to poor, even a goofy storyline. I was ready for some great story telling, but at the end stood up as the credits rolled and wonder "What was that all about?" and I wasnt the only one..there were others saying that outloud. Even Jame Newton Howard's score seemed to be written before the movie and seemed to be just pasted in over the movie. I felt cheated. Mark Wahlberg was a poor choice for the lead, Zooey Deschanel was a whole lot better. I kept thinking that the movie would've been better if John Leguizamo played Mark's part. I could go on..but...well...

Yeah, reviews are pretty poor so far, unfortunately. Critical reviews have been quite rough, too. Individual moviegoers seem a little more pleased with it...though most just think it's okay.

I'll be seeing the film tomorrow, and though I love so much of Night's work, I'm definitely not feeling terribly confident. Still, I imagine there will be some high points, so I'm definitely seeing it.

I loved it!

Mark Wahlberg was a poor choice for the lead, Zooey Deschanel was a whole lot better.
That's so funny, because I thought Wahlberg was fine, but Deschanel just bugged me for some reason. I think it's because her eyes are so freakishly HUGE.

I think that the movie was corny, but I also think it was missunderstood by many. People that think the plants are the real culprits need to take a closer look at the movie.

Hi!

I just registered in this site as I have been a big fan of Shyamalan's films for a while now and his last two films worried me a little and wanted to know what everyone else thought about them. the stange thing is that no one talks about the problems that were so obvious when I saw them.

I live in Portugal and the movie Lady in the Water and now, in a more evident way, The Happening, both had several scenes where we could see the microphone, and even the arm of the person holding it.

Was it something that happened only in the movie that came to my country?

I was hoping maybe someone here would have noticed that, as it was so evident that at some point it was the only thing that got people talking during the screening.

Joana

I haven't seen it yet. I gave up on M. Night movies after the village. I can't imagine an easier cop out for a movie than that film's ending. SPOILER ALERT: Like any movie can have the main character wake up from a dream and say, "None of it was real!" Where's the fun in that? So, no, I have not seen the Happening.

The Happening made me want to kill myself for having watched another retarded M. Night movie hoping to see another "Signs" or "Sixth Sense". I guess that well dried up.
Another story surrounding another moral with unconvincing acting, cheesy dialogue, not well thought-out storylines, et cetera, et cetera...
Please, man, take 10 years (or more) to develope your next idea into a concise story that doesn't make me feel stupider from having watched it. And I am pulling for you.
Btw, my wife says "The Village" was o.k.,too, but I think she's hitting the crackpipe.

After seeing the previews for The Happening, I was intrigued. In fact, I even shelled out five bucks to watch it, rather than waiting for someone I knew to get it just so I wouldn't be risking major disappointment (like I did with Lady in the Water). The Happening is not worth five bucks--or five cents for that matter. It is, in fact, quite possibly one of THE worst films I have seen this year, if not the worst. The whole film, from the plot to the characters, left something to be desired. The only redeeming quality the whole dang thing had was the fact that I got to see someone taunt a large animal and get eaten by it (and even that was freaking edited). M. Night just needs to go back to the old drawing board and preferably NOT make a movie for the rest of his life.

P.S. Screw the plant theory, I spent the whole film wishing for aliens to invade.

First of all hi

Just watched this as I'm a big fan of M. Night's work but I was left confused by this and think he has maybe lost his way.

Maybe someone should ask him?

I love this movie. It was an hour and a half twilight zone episode. Perfect in every way. The style was Serling, the acting was just like Serling would have wanted, and it was just a great homage to the great Rod.

Celluloid Temptation Facilitator
I found the movie amusing. I loved the idea of nature fighting back.

Also, I thought the deaths became comical after awhile!