Shyamalan's Best Film?

Tools    

Which is your favorite of Shyamalan's widely-released films?
21.54%
14 votes
The Sixth Sense
26.15%
17 votes
Unbreakable
38.46%
25 votes
Signs
13.85%
9 votes
The Village
65 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Wow, I can't believe how close this has been! It looks like Night's first three major releases -- The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, and Signs -- are nearly in a three-way tie!

That's pretty remarkable. I'm still torn between the latter two, myself (still haven't made up my mind).

Signs: Here is why.

First, I would like to say that all MNS' movies are incredible. He is by far my favorite screen writer and director. He embodies and exemplifies Rod Serling and Hitchcock in all his tales.

Signs is my favorite because I thought it was his bravest movie and the themes, both religious and classical, all were connected rather well. (I am terrible with character names, so bear with me). Rev. Hess begins his journey before our eyes with the cross taken down from his bedroom wall. Then, he finds the crop circles, which begins his journey back to his spiritual center. This "movement" is a classical trope that is embedded in western literary culture. It begins with Odysseus, as he travels to the edges of the world in the Odyssey and encounters monsters as he struggles to find his way home. More pointedly, the scene in the basement struck me as an underworld scene. In Odyssey, book 11, Odysseus visits the underworld and comes back from it a changed man. Rather than a boisterous, hubristic, Illiadic hero, he is now prepared to humble himself and become disguised with the potential of losing honor from the hiding. The underworld scene in Signs has all the makings of this sort of moment. The creepy hand of the alien reaches from the darkness, noting the abode of the dead and the demons that Hess must face.

This is tied into the angelic/demonic as well as baptismal themes as well. There is a scene in the film where Hess looks at his daughter and tells her he called her "his little angel." I think this is more than affectionate wording. Rather, as she tastes the water and places the cups around the house, she is placing Hess' baptismal water out in the open for the moment in which he has to face his demons (or demon, since there is only one alien in the room ). After coming back from the world of the dead, he encounters the alien and the demon is eradicated by the water set out by Hess' guardian angel (his own daughter).

On the point of the demons/aliens, I find it to be no accident that they only appear when he pays attention to that which is most important. When speaking directly to his children or paying close attention to his family, they seem to show up. It's as if they are there to thwart his journey back to his faith. His wholeness is at stake as he journeys through his issues and moves amongst the monsters to find his way back to where he belongs.

There is much more going on here and, one day, I would love to analyze MNS work through the lens of classical and religious symbolism. In fact, if I could do that and he would be available for such a book, I would love to talk to him about it as well.

For these reasons, I think that The Village is my second favorite of his. There is a sense of religious overtones that are generically reflected in the non-committal (by this I mean the prayers to no god or being) prayers and the non-existent religious symbols in the movie (flags are white, there are no crosses/zen symbols, etc). This, of course, comes from a backdrop of a group of scientists making their way through the idea of cutting off the world and creating a puritan sort of culture without really believing (perhaps) in god(s). The demons in the sense of the monsters are fake, but, not all demons are monsters. Sometimes they are what can be found amongst the worst part of our own selves. The Village plays on some important themes found in Signs, but in an entirely different way.

Anyway, Signs gets my vote. You may find my analysis nutty, but I love his movies because they make me think and I hope that they make all people who see his movies think. He's a master of the art and should be awarded for it.

FR

I love all of his films, however I'd have to say signs is my absolute favorite. It was brilliant. He is brilliant.

I also do have a love for, the village. I know most think this might be one of his weaker films, but I loved it. As usual you have to look deeper into it, to see the true story he is trying to tell. I think it has to be one of the most romantic movies I have ever seen.

I'm amazed at how few people are fond of "The Village". All of Shyamalan's works are on the top of my list, but it seems most of his fans were disappointed with Village. Night does incredible work with colors in this film along with incredibly ironic use of symbols in characters. Allow me to elaborate

For those who are unfamiliar with the color use that took place after the First World War, the 'Lost Generation' colors were commonly used in films and many books for the next few decades, and make a return in "The Village". Yellow, in a 'Lost Generation' scheme of things, represents Innocence and foolish nobility. Blue represents corruption, but a sort of natural corruption...one that we all possess. Green (combination of blue and yellow, very artistic) represents the acceptance of corruption, and the adaptation to it. A character that accepts corruption and plays off of others innocence might be identified with a green article of clothing. Red is used to symbolize a wound of some sort. Physical, emotional, spiritual....they all apply to red wounds.

Now that we have an understanding of the meaning behind 'Lost Generation' colors, lets apply them to Night's film and you'll see how he blatantly re-applies them.

The youth of the village, the ones unaware of the lies created to keep them in the village, wear yellow...the color of innocence. The reference to red as 'the bad color' is not as symbolic as the fact that the 'creatures' wear red themselves. The elders wound is an emotional wound brought on by their guilt for having created a false world for so many innocent people who suffer as a result of their innocence. When Lucius is fatally wounded, the medicines he requires are only kept in the modern towns. The elders must face the guilt of knowing that Lucius could be saved by the medicine. So when you see the elders parading around the village in their red monster costumes, you can see how their guilt would be strongest at this point, so strong that it wounds them emotionally and perhaps spiritually.

Enough of the colors, lets move on to symbols! Ivy Walker, the blind girl who falls in love with Lucius, is sent on a mission to obtain medicine. The symbolism of a blind girl being the only one capable of saving Lucius is ironic and very beautiful. Her father even states plainly "she is more capable than most in this village". It is because of her absolute innocence that she is able to venture forth into 'corruption' and return without being corrupted. She remains yellow as opposed to turning green, the color of the young mans uniform with who she speaks, and the color of his vehicle (had to throw back to the colors).

Maybe I'm just too fond of Night's color and symbol usage in this film, but I hope this helps some who maybe didn't understand the village before appreciate the film in deeper sense.
thanks. i didn't know about the lost generation colors. i loved the village!!!

I may be in the minority but I think The Village is Shyamalan's best work. It has got to be my favorite movie of all time though most seem to hate it. I think the misleading advertising is what lead to its downfall but anyway....Signs and The 6th Sense come in close second. Haven't see Unbreakable yet.

i think the misleading advertising for the happening is also causing people not to like it. also, because the advertisers are stressing that its his first rated R is causing people to think its something it isn't.

I'm not sure why signs gets so many votes. Aliens that are afraid of water visit a planet made mostly of it? That just doesn't make sense at all.

Unbreakable, hands down. Read Joseph Campbell's Hero With a Thousand Faces then watch that movie. The idea of comic books as variations on age-old myths that are based on some fundamental truth of human existence is incredible.

I love how M. Night packs these existential questions into what general audiences think are just suspense movies. That's probably why he's so often misunderstood. He makes Hollywood movies with an independent eye. He won't spend millions of dollars on Special FX, he'll just hope his story and character depth carry the audience through.

Signs and Sixth Sense are a close second and third.

Well, I like all his films.

#1) For me it is Lady in the Water, but I am a big enthusiast for the esoteric and for myth. The first thirty minutes into Lady I was saying to myself “man, he’s going to get in trouble, this film was made for a handful of people.” I absolutely loved it and felt as though it were tailor made for my taste and passions. I loved it thirty seconds in. The little stick people and the story how men fell from wisdom was awesome.

#2) Next is The Village. I had the gist of it (meaning I knew what his twist was going to be) less than half way in, but knowing where he was going didn’t matter, I still loved it. For me this film is about people and about a struggle to preserve innocence. It has a very deep message. The characters in this film and their struggle to preserve their little sanctuary truly moved me. And then there is Bryce. Between Village and Lady I have completely fell for Bryce Dallas Howard. The score is great as well. Hillary Hahn is a master violinist.

#3) Unbreakable, also philosophical but not as deep as Signs or Village. Nowhere near as esoteric as Lady in the Water. For me the real power in Unbreakable is the film craft involved. The directing, editing, and use of score will rip your heart out.

#4) Then comes Signs, which also is a philosophical work with a message. The message is so subtle that I have had to explain this movie to many a person. Odd, because the message is faith and that everything has a reason.

#5) And then there is the Sixth Sense, which is wonderful. The twist at the end was such a big part of it that it almost harms the film overall. It holds more power for me if I go years between watching it.

I have not seen The Happening. I don’t know if I want to. It seems to me that he (M. Night) was pressured into making an R rated film as a business ploy. I don’t like my favorite artist whoring themselves, though I know that is the reality if they want to survive in an environment like the film industry.

M. Night’s real strength is that he is not just a film maker. His movies are not about hype and flash and making a buck. He is excellent at the film making craft in the technical sense, but that too is not what really sets him apart. His films are works of philosophy, like the writings of H.G. Wells. This is good in the long run because they will endure through the ages. There will come a time when Lady, Village, and Signs are all much more appreciated. It will build over the years and those films will be recognized as pure art and not simply entertainment.

A system of cells interlinked
Hmmm, trying to rep GodsOtherMonkey...

Ah, I am on the satellite site, I see...

Good post GOM.

AREP

Lady In The Water isn't even on there. That's his best film, at least to me.

Jerry Shaw, you have been activated.
After re-watching Unbreakable a few weeks ago, i am going to have to say that is his best film, it was fantastic.