Shyamalan's Best Film?

Tools    

Which is your favorite of Shyamalan's widely-released films?
21.54%
14 votes
The Sixth Sense
26.15%
17 votes
Unbreakable
38.46%
25 votes
Signs
13.85%
9 votes
The Village
65 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Originally Posted by Sedai
Oh, would that be the copy you had for the contest a couple of years ago?
Wow, good question. I'm not even sure anymore. Ha; it could be! I never picked a winner. Come to think of it, it was a pretty stupid contest, too; I think people just sent me PMs. Should've had them write reviews or something.

That is why I voted for SIGNS. Exactly what you have said. The message that "everything happens for a reason", and the title "signs", you think it's about crop signs, when in reality, signs didn't mean that at all--it meant the signs all around you.

I find the results of this poll interesting, but not especially surprising. As I write this, Unbreakable leads with 11 votes, followed by The Sixth Sense with 9 and Signs with 6.

Most polls would be won by The Sixth Sense in a landslide. But it has seemed to me, for some time, that the die-hard fans (IE: a lot of the posters here) prefer Unbreakable. If memory serves, Night himself has made the same observation in the past. To those who like his general style, Unbreakable is a shining example of it.

Another interesting result is that though Signs has only 6, it's probably been mentioned as much as the two leaders, as many people seem to wrestle with the question and hold it in a close second (which is certainly the case with me).

Originally Posted by Yoda
I find the results of this poll interesting, but not especially surprising. As I write this, Unbreakable leads with 11 votes, followed by The Sixth Sense with 9 and Signs with 6.

Most polls would be won by The Sixth Sense in a landslide. But it has seemed to me, for some time, that the die-hard fans (IE: a lot of the posters here) prefer Unbreakable. If memory serves, Night himself has made the same observation in the past. To those who like his general style, Unbreakable is a shining example of it.

Another interesting result is that though Signs has only 6, it's probably been mentioned as much as the two leaders, as many people seem to wrestle with the question and hold it in a close second (which is certainly the case with me).
( why isn't there a normal reply button here? )

i've seen 3 of his films, was ( naturally ) blown away by the sixth sense, completely annoyed/bored with unbreakable ( not even SLJ could have saved that one ) and intrigued by the village, but thought that it could have been done better...haven't seen the signs and probably never will....my sister totally dumped on the film and i respect her opinion...

The Analytical Opinionist
I see my vote for The Village finds me in the drastic minority. I love all the films in the poll but for me I drew a huge social / political message from The Village. Fear is such a controlling and manipulative tool that people use against each other both for positive and negative reasons. For me it spoke volumes about the current political climate during the time of the films release and still to this day to an extent.

I voted for Signs. The far-reaching horror, the impending doom, and the way MNS strung together the key elements to the Prophecy blew my mind.

Dean Koontz, Odd Thomas

I'm amazed at how few people are fond of "The Village". All of Shyamalan's works are on the top of my list, but it seems most of his fans were disappointed with Village. Night does incredible work with colors in this film along with incredibly ironic use of symbols in characters. Allow me to elaborate

For those who are unfamiliar with the color use that took place after the First World War, the 'Lost Generation' colors were commonly used in films and many books for the next few decades, and make a return in "The Village". Yellow, in a 'Lost Generation' scheme of things, represents Innocence and foolish nobility. Blue represents corruption, but a sort of natural corruption...one that we all possess. Green (combination of blue and yellow, very artistic) represents the acceptance of corruption, and the adaptation to it. A character that accepts corruption and plays off of others innocence might be identified with a green article of clothing. Red is used to symbolize a wound of some sort. Physical, emotional, spiritual....they all apply to red wounds.

Now that we have an understanding of the meaning behind 'Lost Generation' colors, lets apply them to Night's film and you'll see how he blatantly re-applies them.

The youth of the village, the ones unaware of the lies created to keep them in the village, wear yellow...the color of innocence. The reference to red as 'the bad color' is not as symbolic as the fact that the 'creatures' wear red themselves. The elders wound is an emotional wound brought on by their guilt for having created a false world for so many innocent people who suffer as a result of their innocence. When Lucius is fatally wounded, the medicines he requires are only kept in the modern towns. The elders must face the guilt of knowing that Lucius could be saved by the medicine. So when you see the elders parading around the village in their red monster costumes, you can see how their guilt would be strongest at this point, so strong that it wounds them emotionally and perhaps spiritually.

Enough of the colors, lets move on to symbols! Ivy Walker, the blind girl who falls in love with Lucius, is sent on a mission to obtain medicine. The symbolism of a blind girl being the only one capable of saving Lucius is ironic and very beautiful. Her father even states plainly "she is more capable than most in this village". It is because of her absolute innocence that she is able to venture forth into 'corruption' and return without being corrupted. She remains yellow as opposed to turning green, the color of the young mans uniform with who she speaks, and the color of his vehicle (had to throw back to the colors).

Maybe I'm just too fond of Night's color and symbol usage in this film, but I hope this helps some who maybe didn't understand the village before appreciate the film in deeper sense.

My favorite Shyamalan movie is Wide Awake - The only one left off the poll. Totally different from the rest of his stuff, it's a genuine feel-good flick that actually works. And seeing how you're all such devout fans, you should check it out if you haven't already.

*For the record, that last sentence wasn't intended to contain a single ounce of smarm. But then, sincerity always does seem to come off as sarcasm on the internet, don't it?

Originally Posted by Lance McCool
My favorite Shyamalan movie is Wide Awake - The only one left off the poll. Totally different from the rest of his stuff, it's a genuine feel-good flick that actually works. And seeing how you're all such devout fans, you should check it out if you haven't already.
I saw it a couple years ago. Pretty good. I'm not sure where I'd rank it, but the acting was solid (Robert Loggia was the perfect choice as Joshua's grandfather) and the "twist" (if you can call it that) was charming and sensible. It was definitely a good harbinger of things to come. It's a shame it was so terribly marketed.

Originally Posted by Lance McCool
*For the record, that last sentence wasn't intended to contain a single ounce of smarm. But then, sincerity always does seem to come off as sarcasm on the internet, don't it?
Thanks for the clarification, though.

This is hard to do, but I have to go with The Sixth Sense.
I would be too embarrased to say how many times I've
watched it. I cry each and every time. The kid was just
amazing. Oddly, I don't care for Willis- always looks like
he's smirking, but he actually did really good. It reached
out and grabbed me. Not many do that. I am an empath,
and so when someone is a great actor they make me feel.
When Cole was scared, I was scared. When he looked sad
I cried for him. When Willis found out he was really dead, I
cried for him too. It was like magic. Cinemagic.
The Sixth Sense had all the elements with excellence. Wide
angle shots, music, acting, suspense. I hate to be a geek
about it, but when I see a great film like that, I purposefully
watch it at least once looking for wasted scenes and shots.
Everything worked, it was all meaningful. No wasted time or
effort. Only a brilliant director can accomplish this feat. And
with great helpers too. The props also go to the cast and
cinematographers, and really everyone who helped pull it off.
I dare say it's really close to an all-time greatest for me. Yes
I am a geek. But it was bloody brilliant. I watched it once
just to study any paralels, foreshadows, and story elements.
I watched it once to study the shots. I mean damn, he does
what I would do if I were a brilliant director.
People who say mean things about M are simply jealous.
There is a big difference between (educated) critique and
unintelligent ramblings. Quite frankly, his films are for the
educated. But even my kids love his work.
On behalf of my kids- Two would vote for Unbreakable- the
other one The Sixth Sense. But you know, each is really
a quality film. I am surprised The Village wasn't more in the
poll. I thought the Village was rather gripping too. Anyway,
enough of my babbling. (final note: Hollywood has-beens
feel threatened, as they should. Actors are wanting to work
with him. I am a copywriter and would love to work with him.
People want to work with him. He's changing Hollywood. I
don't think they like to have to work harder. He is in fact
taking those of us who are in fact tired of Hollywood. HAHAHA
go M. We're rootin for ya!)

Originally Posted by Glew
I'm amazed at how few people are fond of "The Village". All of Shyamalan's works are on the top of my list, but it seems most of his fans were disappointed with Village. Night does incredible work with colors in this film along with incredibly ironic use of symbols in characters. Allow me to elaborate

For those who are unfamiliar with the color use that took place after the First World War, the 'Lost Generation' colors were commonly used in films and many books for the next few decades, and make a return in "The Village". Yellow, in a 'Lost Generation' scheme of things, represents Innocence and foolish nobility. Blue represents corruption, but a sort of natural corruption...one that we all possess. Green (combination of blue and yellow, very artistic) represents the acceptance of corruption, and the adaptation to it. A character that accepts corruption and plays off of others innocence might be identified with a green article of clothing. Red is used to symbolize a wound of some sort. Physical, emotional, spiritual....they all apply to red wounds.

Now that we have an understanding of the meaning behind 'Lost Generation' colors, lets apply them to Night's film and you'll see how he blatantly re-applies them.

The youth of the village, the ones unaware of the lies created to keep them in the village, wear yellow...the color of innocence. The reference to red as 'the bad color' is not as symbolic as the fact that the 'creatures' wear red themselves. The elders wound is an emotional wound brought on by their guilt for having created a false world for so many innocent people who suffer as a result of their innocence. When Lucius is fatally wounded, the medicines he requires are only kept in the modern towns. The elders must face the guilt of knowing that Lucius could be saved by the medicine. So when you see the elders parading around the village in their red monster costumes, you can see how their guilt would be strongest at this point, so strong that it wounds them emotionally and perhaps spiritually.

Enough of the colors, lets move on to symbols! Ivy Walker, the blind girl who falls in love with Lucius, is sent on a mission to obtain medicine. The symbolism of a blind girl being the only one capable of saving Lucius is ironic and very beautiful. Her father even states plainly "she is more capable than most in this village". It is because of her absolute innocence that she is able to venture forth into 'corruption' and return without being corrupted. She remains yellow as opposed to turning green, the color of the young mans uniform with who she speaks, and the color of his vehicle (had to throw back to the colors).

Maybe I'm just too fond of Night's color and symbol usage in this film, but I hope this helps some who maybe didn't understand the village before appreciate the film in deeper sense.
So glad you elaborated. I thought it was rather gripping myself. My all time favorite was the Sixth Sense, but I
rather thought the Village would get more votes. I loved
the symbolism and the powerful use of color. Also, great
acting, shots, etc. Has all the elements. I thought it was
really very good.

I may be in the minority but I think The Village is Shyamalan's best work. It has got to be my favorite movie of all time though most seem to hate it. I think the misleading advertising is what lead to its downfall but anyway....Signs and The 6th Sense come in close second. Haven't see Unbreakable yet.

This One Time At Band Camp...
The Sixth Sense is my favorite. Still the ending is something I will never forget. It just blew me away. I was never expecting it. To me that is a great piece of work to keep you on the edge of your seat throughout the entire movie and still surprise you at the end.

Originally Posted by Yoda
...Ultimately, though, it depends on my mood.
Which is your favorite Night film?
My favorite is "Unbreakable," because I liked the fact that Bruce Willis was just this ordinary guy trying to deal with a perplexing impossibility as best he could. I thought the way he learned about his own abilities, in pieces and with skepticism, was very realistic. I could relate to that character the most. I've never been a little boy or a shrink (Sixth Sense); a widowed preacher (Signs); or a blind girl (The Village); but I have been an ordinary person in an ordinary job, like Bruce Willis's security guy, so it's easier to empathize.

But my mood changes, too. Sometimes, I favor "Signs," other times I lean toward "Sixth Sense." I'm starting to appreciate "The Village" more as time goes by.

Originally Posted by Glew
Ivy Walker, the blind girl who falls in love with Lucius, is sent on a mission to obtain medicine. The symbolism of a blind girl being the only one capable of saving Lucius is ironic and very beautiful. Her father even states plainly "she is more capable than most in this village". It is because of her absolute innocence that she is able to venture forth into 'corruption' and return without being corrupted.
I like this quote because not only does it explain what Glew stated, but also shows that we must be child like. Children are innocence themselves. We must be like children and be innocent. Without that we have nothing.

Kyrsten

"The Village Genius" ;)
My ranking is as follows:

1. The Village (10+/10)
2. Lady in the Water (9.5/10)
3. Signs (9.25/10)
4. Unbreakable (9/10)
5. Sixth Sense (8.75/10)

(This is my very first post on this forum!)
Here's my list:
1. The Village (8 1/2 out of 10)
2. Unbreakable (8)
3. Signs (8)
4. Lady in the Water (7)

I am a humoungous Shyamalan fan but I think he has yet to make his greatest film.

The Sixth Sense is just a great film: acting, story, atmosphere... everything is first-rate.

I really enjoyed Signs too, the tension build-up was unbelievable, almost felt like a Hitchcock film.

I didn't like the Village, I thought this was a weak rehash of his previous work and in my opinion the end was a very weak attempt at a plot twist.

This leaves Unbreakable, which is my favorite film of his by far. What an incredible story, fantastic yet realistic, the music, the acting, the ending... I love this movie.

Signs

JET
Signs!!!!!